Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Rumar

What's the Differences?

I have been thinking lately about why there are so many versions of God and in particular Jesus’ Church. The more I study theology the more versions of Jesus I seem to come across. There are more than 35,000 different Christian sects out there now and each one thinks their version of Jesus is the “real” one and all the others have it to varying degrees wrong.

I know there's a lot of differences in each branch of Christianity and Catholicism, but what exactly are the difference among each religion and why so many variations among the common belief? Baptist, Lutheran, Protestant, Evangelan are just some of the MANY names. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's some quotes I found online:
Quote:
We migrate to the version of God that we need to validate our individual worldview.

If we are humble we migrate to a god that appreciates humility.
If we are prone to arrogance we migrate to a all powerful god who chooses us over many others.
If we feel guilty about how we live our lives we migrate to a god who will forgive us no matter what we have done.
If we are poor we migrate to a god who will make us rich in the next life.
If we have deep compassion for others we migrate to a god who tells us to serve others.
If we are greedy we latch onto a god who minimizes giving to others and maximizes individual accountability.
If we change our worldview due to personal experiences we look for another version of god to validate our new worldview.

We migrate to a version of God who we need to mentor us in this life. Some say they need no mentors; some need very strong mentors.
We migrate to a version of God given to us by our ancestry. We don’t often change our version of God except when our current worldview is seriously disrupted.
There are some people who need to have a close friendship with their God and there are others who want a God that is less details and more of a high level God.
We seem to constantly re-invent our God to fit our changing worldview.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Shim

Deleted....

Last edited by Shim : 25-11-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Master
Sometimes I think and feel that the teachings of Jesus were not well understood by man. The result is that we have many versions of those teachings.

Since God is love, it works with every version of the reality perceptions that man has constructed. Love is the core principal that Jesus knew and wished for man to embrace.

Jesus realized that each person is a child of God who had the potential for expressing mastership and the miracles that he performed.

Most religions focus on sin and salvation. Jesus focused on love and self empowerment.

In my view, these are quit different.

John

http://www.telepathyacademy.net/
Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Shim

Deleted....

Last edited by Shim : 25-11-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by John32241
Sometimes I think and feel that the teachings of Jesus were not well understood by man. The result is that we have many versions of those teachings.

Since God is love, it works with every version of the reality perceptions that man has constructed. Love is the core principal that Jesus knew and wished for man to embrace.

Jesus realized that each person is a child of God who had the potential for expressing mastership and the miracles that he performed.

Most religions focus on sin and salvation. Jesus focused on love and self empowerment.

In my view, these are quit different.

John
I agree.
"He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." (1John4:8)
"Inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these, you have done it unto me."
"As I have loved you, love one another."

Why do church beliefs have to be more complicated than that? Greed, control/power?
IMO, the most important teaching, besides love, is personal revelation - prayer & meditation.
The bible in itself has gone through so much over the years, it takes a discerning heart & mind to find relevant truths.

Still, I think that the more any religion teaches & practices LOVE, the more Godlike.
It still can get complicated. People define love countless ways. So, maybe the question to consider is... what is love?

"The kingdom of God comes not with observation, the kingdom of God is within you."
As we search within & discover the love there, we can follow the 2 greatest commandments best... "to love God, & to love others as thyself."
Old 06-11-2010, 04:49 AM
Shim

Deleted....

Last edited by Shim : 25-11-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Guide
I don't think there are many versions of Jesus. There are many sects but for the most part they all share the same common beliefs and stories about Jesus and his message.

Beliefs vary a lot more about God than about Jesus. Some people like myself believe in a more loving God as taught by Jesus. I personally don't believe in the vengeful God of the Old Testament. And I don't believe in some of the other colorations of Jesus by the latter books of the New Testament.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Suspended
Thanks, Shim.

Rumar,
I realized I was so passionate about the essence of what I believe is spirituality, that I didn't answer your question... & I still probably won't answer it completely. but I'll tell you what I was taught...
I grew up in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints...(lds)

The main differences between the "lds" church & other Christian churches are...
1. Continual revelation - modern prophets, apostles & 70
2. In addition to the Bible - the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price & D& C are also studied scripture
3. Heavenly Father, Jesus & Holy Ghost considered 3 distinct personages
4. Babies are born innocent - children are baptized upon "age of accountability" - 8 yrs.
5. Salvation based not only on faith but also works
6. Belief in pre & post life existence... progress after death - levels of heaven
7. Cross symbol isn't used - it's considered a sad reminder of the way a loved one died
8. Personal revelation & priesthood power available for all members (even women perform some priesthood ordinances in temple)
9. Temple buildings & ordinances based on ancient practices & Masonry

What else...
Members give A LOT - in money, time & energy... all jobs in the church are unpaid volunteer "callings" - by all of the members (except tip top presidencies), monthly visiting & home teaching (which I love), Family Home Evenings, Geneology & Temple Work, Word of Wisdom (no drinking alcohol or coffee), service - including humanitarian... (there's more but you get the idea)

There are also the bad marks in the church's past (but this could go for other groups also)...polygamy & denial of priesthood to blacks, lack of financial transparency, chauvinistic ways, & cult-like or clickish nature.

Although my beliefs have drastically changed from orthodox Mormonism, I still believe it to be a good organization - just not to be taken too literally. The lds way of high standards, service & love - is something to be admired.