Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 17-07-2013, 01:07 AM
Fetah

People who don't believe in the afterlife...

After being an atheist for a long time, something curious happened and that was connecting with my twin soul who's in spirit.

I struggled and still struggle to believe it, being a "logical" person.
But it seemed to come natural to me that when we die, our soul travels to an afterlife and we have a choice to be reborn. Like we come from an energy source.
When I think about this, I get a fluttery feeling, when I think about there being nothing afterwards, I almost feel like (I'm trying to develop a telepathic or pyschic line of communication with my twin soul) he's saying "wrong"

But there are so many people who just say there is no afterlife, you cease to exist, there is no creator, NDEs are hallucinations, spirits aren't real, all mediums are liars.

And for them to call me an idiot or gullible for believing it or even psychotic for believing I could have contact with a dead man or better yet, be somehow connected to him on a spiritual level. And I'm a logical, educated, person! A post-atheist even. I have no explanation for what's happened to me.

But it's actually really distressing to me...to be thought of that way. And to try to think like that...I mean what if there is nothing? And I am just delusional?
Old 17-07-2013, 01:47 AM
Master
You will believe in what you believe, there is no prof that there is an afterlife, so if there is no prof, how can one believe, this is how an atheist would see it. Just believing in something with all your heart doesn't make it so, in fact this way of thinking only traps you, we must have a doubtful mind and question everything until we cannot question it any longer.
Old 17-07-2013, 02:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetah
After being an atheist for a long time, something curious happened and that was connecting with my twin soul who's in spirit.

I struggled and still struggle to believe it, being a "logical" person.
But it seemed to come natural to me that when we die, our soul travels to an afterlife and we have a choice to be reborn. Like we come from an energy source.
When I think about this, I get a fluttery feeling, when I think about there being nothing afterwards, I almost feel like (I'm trying to develop a telepathic or pyschic line of communication with my twin soul) he's saying "wrong"

But there are so many people who just say there is no afterlife, you cease to exist, there is no creator, NDEs are hallucinations, spirits aren't real, all mediums are liars.

And for them to call me an idiot or gullible for believing it or even psychotic for believing I could have contact with a dead man or better yet, be somehow connected to him on a spiritual level. And I'm a logical, educated, person! A post-atheist even. I have no explanation for what's happened to me.

But it's actually really distressing to me...to be thought of that way. And to try to think like that...I mean what if there is nothing? And I am just delusional?

Fetah – Welcome to the forum. Trust in your own life experiences and intuition about things such as an afterlife. There will always be those from the camp that say there is no afterlife. Those that say they don’t know. And those that say they have personal experience to validate there is in fact an afterlife. Personally I have had several connections with the spirit world, mostly in the very old house I use to live in and the paranormal events that took place there. I gauge whom I can speak to about those events because some people would label me mad, but I know what happened while living in that house for 16 years and for me, I gained proof that there is something beyond this physical life we live in now. Again, I would embrace your own experiences and not put a lot of emphasis on validation.

Blackraven
Old 17-07-2013, 02:36 AM
Knower

I was a flat-out atheist, starting in my teens. There was no God, there was no afterlife, and all that woo-woo religious/spiritual stuff was just wishful thinking.

Then my best friend died when I was in my early 30s. Three days after he died, he paid me a visit. It was an incredible, profound experience, it was absolutely real, and it turned my reality on its head. I still didn't believe in any human conception of God (to this day I consider myself an agnostic theist because I believe the true nature of the divine is unknowable to us as humans). But I knew that we survive death--that there is something more to existence.

That was almost 13 years ago, and on the rare occasions when I tell someone that story I end up blubbering every time. I'm not someone who cries easily, but I just can't stop myself--it was such a powerful, life changing experience, and honestly, it was the most important, pivotal event in my life so far. Thanks to that experience, I have no fear of death. Even before I finally started doing some reading on the subject of the soul, and life after death, I knew there was nothing to fear.

I never would have believed any of it had I not had a direct, firsthand experience. I used to think people who claimed to have those experiences were lying, deluded, or engaged in wishful thinking. And in the years since, I've discovered that most people--including many who are spiritually inclined--see my story in a similar disbeliving light.

Which used to make me wonder, "Did I merely imagine his visit? Did it really happen?" But every time the question came up in my mind, I'd have the oddest feeling come over me. I can't describe it adequately iin words, but if I had to choose a metaphorical illustration, it was as if someone was shouting "No!" and reaching out to pull me back from the edge of a cliff.

Whether it was my friend, or my higher self, or my guide behind those bursts of intense emotion, I don't know. I'm not sure it matters. But after that happened a few times over the course of four or five years, I finally was able to completely accept what had happened, no matter what anyone else might try to tell me about my experience. I haven't doubted it since.

So I am extremely selective of who gets to hear my story. I either have to tell it in forums like this, where it doesn't sound strange at all, or I have to wait until someone receptive comes along, who is ready to hear it. It's a beautiful, priceless gift I was fortunate enough to receive, but I only share it with people who might have some inkling of its value.

As for the people who don't want to hear it, won't believe it, might think less of me for sharing it, or otherwise aren't receptive, I don't bother telling them. I'm not duty-bound to do so. We all go to the same place when we die, so I don't need to try "saving" them by trying to convince them my story is true. However many more lifetimes it may take, they'll receive the same gift eventually. We're eternal beings; we've literally got all the time in the world, and as many lifetimes as we might need in order to receive it.
Old 17-07-2013, 02:44 AM
Master
Wandering Star - Welcome to the forum too. Your story is incredible. It's disappointing when people don't believe our experiences, but like Fetah, you obviously know you don't need other's validation when it comes to your experiences with your best friend. It's real. It's genuine. And it's all you have to base you own personal assessment on. Don't question what is. What a very special story. Thanks for sharing.

Blackraven
Old 17-07-2013, 03:54 AM
Fetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Star
I was a flat-out atheist, starting in my teens. There was no God, there was no afterlife, and all that woo-woo religious/spiritual stuff was just wishful thinking.

Then my best friend died when I was in my early 30s. Three days after he died, he paid me a visit. It was an incredible, profound experience, it was absolutely real, and it turned my reality on its head. I still didn't believe in any human conception of God (to this day I consider myself an agnostic theist because I believe the true nature of the divine is unknowable to us as humans). But I knew that we survive death--that there is something more to existence.

That was almost 13 years ago, and on the rare occasions when I tell someone that story I end up blubbering every time. I'm not someone who cries easily, but I just can't stop myself--it was such a powerful, life changing experience, and honestly, it was the most important, pivotal event in my life so far. Thanks to that experience, I have no fear of death. Even before I finally started doing some reading on the subject of the soul, and life after death, I knew there was nothing to fear.

I never would have believed any of it had I not had a direct, firsthand experience. I used to think people who claimed to have those experiences were lying, deluded, or engaged in wishful thinking. And in the years since, I've discovered that most people--including many who are spiritually inclined--see my story in a similar disbeliving light.

Which used to make me wonder, "Did I merely imagine his visit? Did it really happen?" But every time the question came up in my mind, I'd have the oddest feeling come over me. I can't describe it adequately iin words, but if I had to choose a metaphorical illustration, it was as if someone was shouting "No!" and reaching out to pull me back from the edge of a cliff.

Whether it was my friend, or my higher self, or my guide behind those bursts of intense emotion, I don't know. I'm not sure it matters. But after that happened a few times over the course of four or five years, I finally was able to completely accept what had happened, no matter what anyone else might try to tell me about my experience. I haven't doubted it since.

So I am extremely selective of who gets to hear my story. I either have to tell it in forums like this, where it doesn't sound strange at all, or I have to wait until someone receptive comes along, who is ready to hear it. It's a beautiful, priceless gift I was fortunate enough to receive, but I only share it with people who might have some inkling of its value.

As for the people who don't want to hear it, won't believe it, might think less of me for sharing it, or otherwise aren't receptive, I don't bother telling them. I'm not duty-bound to do so. We all go to the same place when we die, so I don't need to try "saving" them by trying to convince them my story is true. However many more lifetimes it may take, they'll receive the same gift eventually. We're eternal beings; we've literally got all the time in the world, and as many lifetimes as we might need in order to receive it.

Nice reply. I love hearing people's stories.
A family member of mine works with hospice patients and comes home with stories about what her patients last works were before they passed. Most of them see things and proclaim how beautiful it is, others just close their eyes an go. But ALWAYS she says in the days leading up to death they start talking to people who aren't there, people who can't be there because they're dead. My own uncle reported shadows of people standing over his bed weeks before his actual death. He became a very spiritual man before dying. He said if he ended up living he would teach kids the importance of life because he never valued his own.
Something changed him. It reminds me of the unexpected spiritual enlightenment that people talk about on this forum. It's like knowing the worlds greatest secret. The one everyone wants to know and yet when you tell other people they call you nuts.

That's what is most frustrating to me...knowing this to be true and yet being doubted by everyone. And doubted to the extent where I question my own sanity because I'm the odd one out.
I mean I've actually thought of seeking therapy and medication to make me "normal" again because every time I look up what's happening to me, schizophrenia comes up.

But I like what you said about your friend telling you "no" when you start to sway towards disbelief. I get the same thing.

I know what I believe, I just wish more people did as well so I wouldn't feel so insane. We can't all be crazy! A lot of people have the same or very similar experiences with the other realm. It can't be mass delirium.

What annoys me is the scientists who say, "Oh yeah there's no afterlife, I mean we don't have proof but logically speaking its not plausible." And then the sheeple take that as fact when it's actually just a huge gray area.
People rely too much on science for answers.

It's impossible for science to prove anything.
Old 17-07-2013, 04:07 AM
Master
And its impossible for so called spiritualist to prove what they believe to be true, at least science has much proof, and good theory that can be shown to work over and over. If you cannot prove something then keep it to yourself, don't debate with it.
Old 17-07-2013, 04:27 AM
Master
The spiritual awakening can be said if anything to be - The Search For Truth.

You won't find it in other peoples belief systems or their opinions or even what they swear is absolute - because until they become awakened they have not met Truth on that level...it does not mean anything other than they have not yet made the Journey Inward to discover Truth.

You are the only one who can discover Truth for yourself and its a Journey done alone and into the Inward Worlds. Other peoples opinions are unneeded baggage on the Journey and there's an excess weight charge on this flight :P
Old 17-07-2013, 04:33 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalSong
The spiritual awakening can be said if anything to be - The Search For Truth.

You won't find it in other peoples belief systems or their opinions or even what they swear is absolute - because until they become awakened they have not met Truth on that level...it does not mean anything other than they have not yet made the Journey Inward to discover Truth.

You are the only one who can discover Truth for yourself and its a Journey done alone and into the Inward Worlds. Other peoples opinions are unneeded baggage on the Journey and there's an excess weight charge on this flight :P
Yes and I certainly agree with that, my inner Realization that I experienced is my own inner experience, I cannot argue about it with anyone, and this is my whole point. Why say that others don't understand, or science don't understand when we ourselves don't have a clue what it is, be honest and admit we don't understand it, we may believe we experience something, but that is all it will ever be.
Old 17-07-2013, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
I believe in afterlife. I have seen things. I have connections. I could care less if people believe in what i see. My mom always says i will believe it when i see it.
It is hard to believe in something you have not had an experience with. I get that.