Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 06-10-2018, 02:44 AM
Newbie ;)

Vegetarian Low-Carb?

I had been vegetarian all throughout high school and my first year of college, but it's been hard being with my meat-eater boyfriend. And it seems the older I get, the harder it is for my body to digest carbs, and as a result, I've gained a lot of weight and it's difficult to maintain it.

I've tried going vegetarian again, but it's hard to be low-carb when a lot of the proteins and healthy fats are in beans, which are high in carbs. Not to mention, I HATE tofu and other soy products (they give me really bad hot flashes!): ).

Do you guys have any favorite sites that help generate diets like this? Or maybe you have a go-to grocery list? Staples pantry list? Anything of the sort?

Also, tips for keeping on track of a diet like this would be much appreciated <3
Thank you! (:
Old 06-10-2018, 04:33 AM
Master
Have you considered something leaning towards a paleo diet? ???

It would far easier to control carbs and still have a balanced healthy diet.

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 06-10-2018, 05:09 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWine
I had been vegetarian all throughout high school and my first year of college, but it's been hard being with my meat-eater boyfriend. And it seems the older I get, the harder it is for my body to digest carbs, and as a result, I've gained a lot of weight and it's difficult to maintain it.

I've tried going vegetarian again, but it's hard to be low-carb when a lot of the proteins and healthy fats are in beans, which are high in carbs. Not to mention, I HATE tofu and other soy products (they give me really bad hot flashes!): ).

Do you guys have any favorite sites that help generate diets like this? Or maybe you have a go-to grocery list? Staples pantry list? Anything of the sort?

Also, tips for keeping on track of a diet like this would be much appreciated <3
Thank you! (:

Count your calories! All: food & drinks (there are many web sites that give you the data, and you just need to approximate them).

Weigh yourself every day at the same time, for example in the morning, after you go to the toilet, before eating and drinking anything (to have a more accurate day to day comparison) (when you eat saltier food your body retains more water).

Let's say you take in now about 2,200 calories / day, on average.

To lose 1 lb (0.454 Kg) per week you need to take in 1,700 calories / day (3,500 calories ~ 1 lb of fat / weight loss).
If you taken in only 1,200 calories / day, you'll lose 2 lb / week (0.91 kg).

There is no other way!

Diets try to tweak a little your metabolism, but even if they do it healthily, they're very inefficient. Also, working out is good for health, but inefficient for weight loss (aerobic workout is less efficient than anaerobic / building muscle).

If you want to succeed, count your calorie intake! To feel less hungry eat often (every 2-3 hours) small portions of about the same size. For example 6 time a day, 200 calories each, equal 1,200 calories / day.

Good luck! You can do it! I did it, and held my weight where I wanted for the last 16 years.

After you reach your target weight, you'll increase back your intake to your break-even, that depends on your activity, age, sex, etc.. Typical for women is ~2,000 calories / day, ~2,400 for men.

PS: I see you have "wine" in your screen name. Drinks may have a lot of calories!
Old 06-10-2018, 05:45 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Count your calories! All: food & drinks (there are many web sites that give you the data, and you just need to approximate them).

Weigh yourself every day at the same time, for example in the morning, after you go to the toilet, before eating and drinking anything (to have a more accurate day to day comparison) (when you eat saltier food your body retains more water).

Let's say you take in now about 2,200 calories / day, on average.

To lose 1 lb (0.454 Kg) per week you need to take in 1,700 calories / day (3,500 calories ~ 1 lb of fat / weight loss).
If you taken in only 1,200 calories / day, you'll lose 2 lb / week (0.91 kg).

There is no other way!

Diets try to tweak a little your metabolism, but even if they do it healthily, they're very inefficient. Also, working out is good for health, but inefficient for weight loss (aerobic workout is less efficient than anaerobic / building muscle).

If you want to succeed, count your calorie intake! To feel less hungry eat often (every 2-3 hours) small portions of about the same size. For example 6 time a day, 200 calories each, equal 1,200 calories / day.

Good luck! You can do it! I did it, and held my weight where I wanted for the last 16 years.

After you reach your target weight, you'll increase back your intake to your break-even, that depends on your activity, age, sex, etc.. Typical for women is ~2,000 calories / day, ~2,400 for men.

PS: I see you have "wine" in your screen name. Drinks may have a lot of calories!

I count calories all the time, but the fact of the matter is where those calories are coming from. If I'm eating something that's just empty calories with no protein and healthy fats (mono& polyunsaturated) then I'm just gonna feel hungry in the next half hour. So that's why I try to be low carb because so many things high in carbs just end up being added refined sugar which is just gonna give your brain a sugar high and crash, then you want more. As opposed to healthy proteins and fats that are filling and satisfyiglng.

My goal is 1,500 calories give or take, because I am fairly active at work and school and outside of both of those. I try to do mod-high healthy fats, mid protein, and generally low carb. Keeping it low carb also helps manage staying in my calorie range.

Also I don't drink that much (maybe once a month and only one drink, if that), the username is the title of a song actually lol
Old 06-10-2018, 05:45 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
Have you considered something leaning towards a paleo diet? ???

It would far easier to control carbs and still have a balanced healthy diet.

What's the difference between keto and Paleo?
Old 06-10-2018, 06:57 AM
Master

Quote:
I count calories all the time, but the fact of the matter is where those calories are coming from. If I'm eating something that's just empty calories with no protein and healthy fats (mono& polyunsaturated) then I'm just gonna feel hungry in the next half hour. So that's why I try to be low carb because so many things high in carbs just end up being added refined sugar which is just gonna give your brain a sugar high and crash, then you want more. As opposed to healthy proteins and fats that are filling and satisfyiglng.

My goal is 1,500 calories give or take, because I am fairly active at work and school and outside of both of those. I try to do mod-high healthy fats, mid protein, and generally low carb. Keeping it low carb also helps manage staying in my calorie range.

Also I don't drink that much (maybe once a month and only one drink, if that), the username is the title of a song actually lol

I see. To reduce hunger eat every 2-3 hours small portions. And drink enough plain water. It fills you up. Tea for example could make you hungry. Same for bubbled water, coffee (they're acidic).

I assume you count calories for fruits, salads, everything. Weigh yourself daily and keep track to see if your calorie estimate is correct.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator
It depends if you eat eggs and cheese/dairy as a vegetarian, or if you really mean "vegan" (no animal produce at all.)
No carbs in eggs and cheese,
And no carbs in nuts and seeds either, but proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals etc. That means things made from nuts and seeds such as all nut butters, tahini etc.

Soya is very oestrogenic, so the hot flushes make sense. It's wise not to eat too much of that and if you're getting any negative reactions like that it's best to leave it out entirely.

I think (?) quinoa has some carbs but it's literally a seed, has protein, and makes a good substitute for things like rice or cous-cous. On a low carb diet it's probably your best option for something that's nice and filling but not like bread pasta etc.

Something like seasoned quinoa sprinkled with roasted nuts and seeds with some vegetables would make a tasty filling balanced vegan dinner with not too many carbs (if any?...as I said, not 100% sure about carb content of quinoa. Check it.)

Eggs and cheese are very nutritious if you're not vegan.

If you're not strict about carbs then pumpernickel (black) bread is a good option to normal bread. It is rich in protein, but of course does contain some carbs. But not so much as normal bread. It does have a slightly bitter taste but that can be off set by adding mayonnaise or nut butter.

Oats are pretty good too. I'm not saying they don't contain carbs, but they are so good for you, and even though a "grain" they have many health benefits and a low glycemic index.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Master
Quote:
And it seems the older I get, the harder it is for my body to digest carbs, and as a result, I've gained a lot of weight and it's difficult to maintain it.
Fruit and vegetables. Only. No meat, dairy, bread, pasta, processed foods, etc.

Fruit and vegetables only. Easy to digest, and the weight naturally falls off. That's been my diet for 7 years now (been vegan for 12). I lost 95 lbs and am now at my ideal body weight. The body just gravitates to its happy ideal. And that's where you stay, and after that you don't have to think about your diet, or worry about your weight, or monitor what you eat anymore. Just fruit and vegetables. That's it. Oh and I use a raw organic vegan protein powder in my smoothies. But that's it.

And some tough-love advice: don't use your boyfriend as a reason not to eat healthy. Excuses are the way we avoid taking responsibility. You alone are in control of yourself and what you choose, and not anyone or anything else. In fact, choose to eat healthy, and maybe he will start as well. Just don't make that your priority. Your priority is you and your diet, period.