Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Mayflow

Well, one would think that all churches are about Spirit.

At heart. Not all practitioners as many can be really cruel. I don't think Unity is one of the ones to suffer so much as some Christian and Islam terrorists have, but those terrorists and killing machines have little to no understanding of Spirit, in my opinion. A twist in Buddhism and some Christianity is to have compassion of Spirit for the cruel.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Looked up Spiritualsm, yup, they have beliefs that overlap.
I really didn't have to look that up to know that, but thought it
might make some "happy".
Anyone can do the work themselves to see....so that their considerable doubt
can be less considerable.

So you needed to "look up" what Spiritualism is about?

Your argument is far from convincing, especially so because you haven't even quoted the source of the information you had to look up.

That point is especially pertinent because the US version is often very different than the UK version, something that experienced Spiritualists will know and something that non-Spiritualists will likely not understand....
Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow
Well, one would think that all churches are about Spirit.

Why would one think that?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Why would one think that?

Well, because I am one who thinks that. If you don't think so, eh; fine.
Old 30-12-2013, 05:31 PM
katyking

Unity Church sounds like a nice place to be.
My eminent and respected American Spiritualist chum on here Left Behind knows a lot about modern Spiritualism in the USA and also publishes from time to time in our UK Spiritualist magazines the Psychic News and the Two Worlds.
Here in the UK Spiritualism is vibrant and one of the few denominations actually growing in church attendances.
More people seem to be expressing more interest. Maybe that's a sign of these 'hard times' but at our church membership has grown every year this six years past.
The biggest Spiritualist denomination here is the Spiritualist National Union.
There is also the Greater World Christian Spiritualist denomination.
Alongside those two there are many smaller groupings and also some independent Spiritualist churches.
There are more Spiritualist churches per head of population in the UK than anywhere else in the world.
Hope that Helps.
Old 30-12-2013, 09:55 PM
MMM

spiritualist churches associated with the spiritualist national union is based on 7 principles
spiritualist churches associated with the nationalist spiritual assocaition of churches in the usa are based on 9 principles
independednt spiritualist churches can basically do whatever

unity churches are more unified
Old 30-12-2013, 11:23 PM
katyking

SNU Spiritualism is based on these Seven Principles:-
1. The Fatherhood of God.
2. The Brotherhood of Man.
3. The Communion of Spirits and the Ministry of Angels.
4. The Continuous Existence of the Human Soul.
5. Personal Responsibility.
6. Compensation and Retribution Hereafter for all the Good & Evil Deeds done on Earth.
7. Eternal Progress Open to every Human Soul.

More info on the SNU website.
Old 22-02-2014, 06:01 AM
dsaly1969

I'm currently involved with both Spiritism (a specific branch of Spiritualism popular in Latin America and continental Europe) and the New Thought thought teachings of Unity. I also recently joined the Theosophical Society in America. While I am sure there are folks in each of these groups that might share some of the more exclusivist views of the group's founders, I have found that most folks nowadays tend to be more inclusive and eclectic. I do not find much conflict with the essential teachings of each of these paths (it is usually the minutiae where folks get all hung up).
Old 30-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Experiencer

Spiritualism and Unity

Resurrecting an old Thread here: and a much-belated hello and thank-you to my friend KatyKing.

The essence of Spiritualism is contact, generally through gifted individuals called mediums, between the world of discarnate spirits (the so-called dead) and the world of incarnate spirits (we, the 'living'). Spiritualism has its own philosophy and practices but this spirit contact is what distinguishes Spiritualism from other religions.

Unity Church is one aspect of the New Thought movement of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It is NOT a spirit-contact church, therefore is not Spiritualist in the sense that the term was used in the preceding paragraph.

I have attended a Unity Church here in New Orleans 6 months. I greatly enjoy it and highly recommend it. If you are a Spiritualist, or a Spiritist, you will find that your views will be respected there.

However, Unity and New Thought are based more on the idea of spiritual empowerment in the here and now, and less so on what happens after the death of the body.
Old 30-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaly1969
I'm currently involved with both Spiritism (a specific branch of Spiritualism popular in Latin America and continental Europe) and the New Thought thought teachings of Unity. I also recently joined the Theosophical Society in America. While I am sure there are folks in each of these groups that might share some of the more exclusivist views of the group's founders, I have found that most folks nowadays tend to be more inclusive and eclectic. I do not find much conflict with the essential teachings of each of these paths (it is usually the minutiae where folks get all hung up).

I'm a Spiritualist, attend a Unity Church, and find myself becoming more and more interested in the teachings of Kardecian Spiritism.

I'm not much interested in Theosophy. They tend to be opposed to the idea of contact with the spirit world.