Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 29-06-2019, 09:41 PM
Book1 Getting into the groove of the Tanakh

Hello!

I was not raised Jewish and have not converted so I apologize for any misuse of terms/misunderstanding in general of what I'm talking about beforehand!

I'm currently working through reading the Tanakh, in the Nevi'im at the moment (Judges) and am really inspired to want to read the text with as much understanding as possible, I want to be fully aware of the presence of G-d in every passage. Except that the majority of the time I find myself feeling as if I'm missing the great metaphors and mysticism that make it so truly holy. I was wondering if anyone has some advice, should I read easier Jewish texts first, meditate a certain way before opening the Book, or am I just not spiritually ready to get the most out of it? I know I'm a complete spiritual novice and there's no way I'll get everything even after five readings of it, but I would love to discover a way of reading it that will bring me to a better understanding. If that makes sense. Thank you!
Old 17-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernworm
Hello!

I was not raised Jewish and have not converted so I apologize for any misuse of terms/misunderstanding in general of what I'm talking about beforehand!

I'm currently working through reading the Tanakh, in the Nevi'im at the moment (Judges) and am really inspired to want to read the text with as much understanding as possible, I want to be fully aware of the presence of G-d in every passage. Except that the majority of the time I find myself feeling as if I'm missing the great metaphors and mysticism that make it so truly holy. I was wondering if anyone has some advice, should I read easier Jewish texts first, meditate a certain way before opening the Book, or am I just not spiritually ready to get the most out of it? I know I'm a complete spiritual novice and there's no way I'll get everything even after five readings of it, but I would love to discover a way of reading it that will bring me to a better understanding. If that makes sense. Thank you!

Hello! This may not be what you're looking for. But if you want to read the bible like a Jew, then I can discuss a little.

For a start, you should look for the commentary that goes along with each portion of the Torah. You can find this online if you search for something like Torah portion [x] -- which means, your bible chapter and verses -- and look for the commentary (Talmudic and modern rabbinic) that goes along with the biblical text. There are several levels of understanding and interpretation, but the commentary will get you started, giving you a basic or foundational Jewish perspective on what the text means or could mean, or has commonly been thought to mean.

For a better understanding of how important commentary is (and has always been), I would read this link or something similar:

https://www.aish.com/jl/b/ol/48943186.html

In fact, without the Talmud (the main collection of commentary and ethics) and the midrash (parables, stories, legends), I don't think you would have access to probably most of what Jews know of the bible. Nor would you have access to a good deal of the Jewish spiritual perspectives and understandings over the ages and up through today.

So, for starters, if you are looking for a deeper way to engage with the biblical text, then you may want to read the commentary (discussion and interpretation, often several viewpoints) in the Talmud (you can find this online) and also any associated midrash (stories), at least some of which are also online, as well as in print.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 17-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Master
Color You've put a song in my head!!

Just start reading.
The great metaphors and mysticism that you mention, why not leave it to your own intuition? You read it first, and you will find what you think is relevant to you at that point. Later on you can look for more or commentaries from others? Perhaps it's more fun that way..

Oh and...

Get into the groove..
Girl you got to prove..
Your love to God yeah..
Get up on your feet, yeah..
Step to the book..
Girl what will it be..

Scripture can be such a revelation..
Reading around you feel the sweet sensation..
We might be believers if the rhythm's right..
I hope this feeling never ends tonight..

Only when I'm reading can I feel this free..
At night I lock the doors, where no one else can see..
I'm tired of reading here all by myself..
Tonight I want to read with someone else..

Get into the groove..
Girl you got to prove..
Your love to God yeah..
Step to the book..
Girl what will it be..

---

Sorry but you asked for it.. after seeing this title I just HAD to do this.. I got the song in my head. I could not resist..

Old 02-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Thank you! Your response is so helpful. I knew that the Talmud was the "Jewish book of law", but that was the only description for it that I've ever seen so I was never sure of what exactly it was, I had no idea it was Biblical commentary, I figured it was its own separate text. Excited to incorporate the Talmud in my reading! I'll also look up the midrash as well. Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2019, 05:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Thank you! Your response is so helpful. I knew that the Talmud was the "Jewish book of law", but that was the only description for it that I've ever seen so I was never sure of what exactly it was, I had no idea it was Biblical commentary, I figured it was its own separate text. Excited to incorporate the Talmud in my reading! I'll also look up the midrash as well. Thanks again!

I have or maybe I should say had a complete Talmud and parts of a second set.

Why I said "maybe I should say had" was that they were stored at our second house. Termites got into my bookcases - I had over 2000 books.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Hello!

What helps me is I look at the Tanakh thru the lens of the Masoretic text.

I knew, you can't read Hebrew.

No problem.

Google Hebrew Interlinear Judges
and you will see things you did not find were in the text. For example, the word Lord takes on a new, foreign meaning.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Master
Quote:

You're so very welcome Happy trails....

Peace & blessings,
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 09-08-2019, 09:34 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Just start reading.
The great metaphors and mysticism that you mention, why not leave it to your own intuition? You read it first, and you will find what you think is relevant to you at that point. Later on you can look for more or commentaries from others? Perhaps it's more fun that way..

Oh and...

Get into the groove..
Girl you got to prove..
Your love to God yeah..
Step to the book..
Girl what will it be..

Scripture can be such a revelation..
Reading around you feel the sweet sensation..
We might be believers if the rhythm's right..
I hope this feeling never ends tonight..

Only when I'm reading can I feel this free..
At night I lock the doors, where no one else can see..
I'm tired of reading here all by myself..
Tonight I want to read with someone else..

Get into the groove..
Girl you got to prove..
Your love to God yeah..
Step to the book..
Girl what will it be..

---

Sorry but you asked for it.. after seeing this title I just HAD to do this.. I got the song in my head. I could not resist..

This is the way I learn most from books and life.
Read by the Spirit and see what sticks out and then dig in deeper.

I was reading your song with a Reggae beat and groove and it was Good.
Thanks for that.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:57 PM
DanfossvlfwdsSnode

Getting into the groove of the Tanakh

The smaller rocks will respawn indefinitely in TC. There may be a mod to disable them, but Im not positive that it can be disabled, if its built into the games .exe file.