Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Closed Thread

Old 26-10-2006, 06:56 PM
ljepotica

Unhappy Meditation in noisy environment...heeelp!

Hello everyone:)

I like to meditate but am sort of amature (sp) at it at it

The only thing is that I live in a flat that is off a busy road-even at night there is traffic and it's noisy living there. But I do feel relaxed and I do have my crystals with me to meditate with and feel at peace in my room, so do I have to go to another quiet place to meditate?
Or can you still meditate in noisy surroundings?
I can clear my mind and can relax, and the outside noise disturbs me only sometimes...what is a girl to do?

Please some advice
Old 26-10-2006, 07:08 PM
~Jay~

Hi!

I always have a nice chill-out CD on fairly low volume with my headphones on when I meditate. Although I'm lucky to live in fairly peaceful surroundings (neighbour's moods permitting lol) there is still a fair bit of distraction, and I'm very noise sensitive anyway.

This seems to help me by cutting out traffic noise mainly, and making me less likely to jump out of my skin at anything louder & unexpected! So long as you can tune out of the noise, you could meditate under the flight path at Heathrow airport if you wanted to, I suppose!
Old 26-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Moonflower

Hi Ljepotica

It's good that you are trying to meditate as we are constantly thinking about the future or the past but in effect there is only ever the now life is not ging to happen in the future, the mind can only process one thought at a time but it tends to flit from subject to subject a monkey mind, when you are first meditating you will not neccessarily be able to control your thoughts but all you have to do is acknowledge the thought then release it like you would a helium filled balloon..

The more you meditate try to initially try to get into a routine it will become much easier, we all look after our appearance we bathe, wash our hair, brush our teeth, manicure our nails we rest our bodies at night etc etc but we also need to rest, cleanse the mind of mental & emotional clutter.

With regard to the traffic just acknowledge that it is there & let the thought go or as Jaycee says you can play some music or u could get yourself a guided meditation tape to listen to..

Practice, practice practice you will eventually obtain the alpha state which is wonderful.

Enjoy

Much love Moonflower x
Old 26-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Fiona

ljepotica - Mind likes to hop about like a hyperactive child from one thing to another, searching for stimulation, meaning etc. The fewer things in ones environment to distract oneself the better when it comes to meditating successfully. However, even when all the correct environmental factors are in place the untrained mind will find distractions all of its own, so you will always be in a position of having to gently bring mind back to the focus of your meditation.

Like everything, disciplined meditation takes practice over time and is not without the application of some degree of effort and perseverence, but it sounds as if you are getting there already. I think that if you continue to do this regularly, despite the external distractions, you will be successful. You will know when you are successful, in those deeply special moments when you are quietly aware of all of the various noises but not seeking to ascribe any meaning or interpretation to them, you will know that mind has ceased it's perpetual grasping and that it is learning to be still. If you are already managing this, you are doing very well.
Old 26-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Knower
when one concentrates on one ....all else fades....
Old 26-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUE_KAKASHI
when one concentrates on one ....all else fades....

i was just about to post similar, this is incredibly hard in the early days though, but you will find with practice you can meditate at a footie match imo anyway
Old 26-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Deactivated Account
keep persevering it will get easier, earphones are good as jaycee suggests especially in the early days
Old 27-10-2006, 12:59 PM
cweiters

Thank you ijepotica, instead of seeing it as noise, think of it as a good sound, During meditation search all the sounds for the smallest one, while you continue to breath remember the noise is all of who you are. Become one with the sounds as they fade, try not to block them, welcome them. In order for me to be one with the universe I must be one with Earth and all within this is my belief.
Thats what meditation is to me, its like defraging my computer . Blessing with meditation ijepotica.

Love
cw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljepotica

Hello everyone:)

I like to meditate but am sort of amature (sp) at it at it

The only thing is that I live in a flat that is off a busy road-even at night there is traffic and it's noisy living there. But I do feel relaxed and I do have my crystals with me to meditate with and feel at peace in my room, so do I have to go to another quiet place to meditate?
Or can you still meditate in noisy surroundings?
I can clear my mind and can relax, and the outside noise disturbs me only sometimes...what is a girl to do?

Please some advice
Old 27-10-2006, 02:11 PM
ljepotica

Thank you kind people with your kind advice:)

Yes it's true that if you at one with the sound and at one with yourself then in due time you can meditate anywhere.

I like jaycee's idea of listening to music.

I am almost there where I'm in such a relaxed state that the noises seem to fade away but I was just wondering if it's essential to have quiet in order to proceed, but you've all told me that it's not a problem so that's good:)

The funny thing is that now I've started to notice that almost as soon as I start to meditate I feel someone laying their hand on my face or cheek-always on the left side of my face, and it remains there for some time-I assume that it's a spirit guide. This happans everytime I meditate.

How should I go about finding out who/what this is as I think it's trying to tell me something-or showing me that it's there. It's also interesting in that when I start to prepare for meditation, as soon as I decide to sit or lie down to begin I feel this presence touching the left side of my face-as if it reads my mind:)
Old 27-10-2006, 02:15 PM
cweiters

No its not necessary to be quit, its not even essential to be still, try walking that will help with noise.

Love
cw
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljepotica
Thank you kind people with your kind advice:)

Yes it's true that if you at one with the sound and at one with yourself then in due time you can meditate anywhere.

I like jaycee's idea of listening to music.

I am almost there where I'm in such a relaxed state that the noises seem to fade away but I was just wondering if it's essential to have quiet in order to proceed, but you've all told me that it's not a problem so that's good:)

The funny thing is that now I've started to notice that almost as soon as I start to meditate I feel someone laying their hand on my face or cheek-always on the left side of my face, and it remains there for some time-I assume that it's a spirit guide. This happans everytime I meditate.

How should I go about finding out who/what this is as I think it's trying to tell me something-or showing me that it's there. It's also interesting in that when I start to prepare for meditation, as soon as I decide to sit or lie down to begin I feel this presence touching the left side of my face-as if it reads my mind:)

Last edited by cweiters : 27-10-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Closed Thread