Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Past Lives & Reincarnation

Old 17-05-2019, 12:01 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelybird82
Hello everyone,

I have a question: do any of you remember a past life that you are completely sure of, know that you actually lived it and were a real historical person a very long time ago, before recorded history (not famous at that time, just an ordinary person), but your past life is nowadays considered a fantasy tale in modern culture?
To be more specific, did anyone have the experience of accidentally stumbling upon an accurate and detailed description of their past incarnation and life journey in a children’s fantasy book? If such a thing happened to you, would you consider yourself mentally unstable, would you think this is all just your own fantasy and not regard it as a real past life? Would you choose to tell any of your friends or relatives about it?
And what would your own reaction be, if this kind of past-life recall happened to one of your friends or relatives, and they told you about it? Would you be sure they are delusional and need help?
I know that’s a very weird set of questions, but I would be most grateful for people’s opinions about this.

Firstly, I have had no such experiences. But I would not rule them out.

A possible example could be someone who clearly recalls a past life as a priest or priestess in Atlantis. Some would consider this a fantasy. But if you accept that Atlantis did exist and that there were priests and priestesses, then it is not unreasonable to suppose that some would be back in a physical body today, and perhaps it was their spiritual training in that past life which allows them to remember it in the current life.

I am not a great believer in ancestral memories or such memories being stored in our DNA. However, we have to use our faculty of discrimination.

Firstly, it is possible that our "memory" of such a past life originates from a subconscious memory in this life. Perhaps based on a book we read or a film we saw when we were very young. We have no conscious memory of reading the book or seeing the film, but the images and ideas have remained with us.

Secondly, we humans have a tendency to self-glamourise. So using the above example, some New Agers may fondly imagine that they were priests or priestesses in Atlantis because this gives them some kind of spiritual validity or imagined importance.

Would I tell friends or relatives about it? Probably not, unless I knew that they would be open to the possibility and may have some insights. If such a topic was outside their understanding then nothing would be achieved by sharing it.

What if a friend or relative shared such a story with me? I would not dismiss them as delusional and needing help. After all, I believe that reincarnation is a fact. But I would hope that they had enough awareness to accept that whatever they recall may or may not be based on actual events.

And in the end, who we are now is more important than whoever we might have been once upon a time.

Peace.
Old 23-05-2019, 06:23 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
So what about all the cases of children who have clear memories of their last incarnation, their families and how they died. And if the previous life was fairly recent, they may be taken to where they say they lived and they recognise people and places.

This suggests that memories are not stored in the physical body but are instead stored in a more subtle vehicle which can still be accessed in a new body. But such memories tend to fade by the age of 7, presumably because consciousness is now fully anchored in the new body and no longer has access to past memories.

Peace.

In the theory of the "block universe" (the non-growing variety) past, present, and future are all equally real. And of course if we consider
Everett's many worlds theory, then it is not just one block, but perhaps infinity many blocks with infinitely many pasts, presents, and futures, all equally real. Under such a scenario, we must ask, "Who's past life are we remembering?" Perhaps what we are "remembering" as our "past life", some other consciousness is experiencing as their present life (or will experience as a future life?). Bob read a book, Jan is reading that book, Sally will read it later? Are we really remembering our past life, or just experiencing a different life, one in a different part of the block, at the present moment.

Perhaps it is best that for most of us any such "memories" of "past" lives fade away by age 7 ( BTW, an important transformational age in the development of the ego ), as it is difficult to read more than one book at a time, the story just does not have the same intensity and the experience is not as moving.
Old 26-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Knower
Memory is tricky. Spacetime is tricky. Our universe is incomprehensible in scale, and while the physics of our lives here on Earth may be fairly standardized, any world imaginable is theoretically possible and probably out there somewhere beyond the outskirts of our reality. This certainly includes "fictional" worlds. However, perceptions that deviate from the current norms of our little planet will indeed be disregarded as mental illness by many people.

And "memory" may not be the best word. Assuming spacetime is not linear, these may be alternate lives rather than past lives. Linear time is simply easier for the human mind to comprehend. Quite frankly, I believe mentally "healthy" people are blissfully blind to so many possibilities and probabilities outside their narrow worldview. Their minds are too small to handle any more than that. So if you think you might be a cartoon character, yes indeed, share that information wisely. Some people are better left in ignorance. Your truth may harm them, their truth may harm you, et cetera. And if you think you can fly, just remember Earth has gravity.

As for our DNA storing bits of memory, why not? How much do we really know about the secrets of genetics? Oh wait, the physical body is totally divorced from the astral realm. Never mind. Disregard the sacredness and beauty of the stardust from which we came. Matter is totally not concentrated energy, we don't contain megatons of power within our very atoms. Our human bodies are just worthless meat to leave behind when we spiritually ascend.
Old 26-05-2019, 08:07 PM
Master

Are we-in-our-dreams made of atoms?

Do the we-in-our-dreams have DNA?

What do we-in-our-dreams think about that?

Why do you-here-and-now believe that you-here-and-now knows better what is true and real in your dreams, than you-in-your-dreams?

Does the Sun revolve around our flat Earth because it looks like that? We don't believe that because we put our faith in science? Can't we trust our senses? But our rationalizations? Should we just submit to faith? Yes / no / maybe / case-by-case / ...

My choice is to neither trust, nor dismiss, but to turn toward inside, and trust my inner truth, being aware that I misinterpret a lot of it.

PS: "We are so special" ... kind of presumptuous.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 26-05-2019, 08:43 PM
Guide

Quote:
Yes, indeed, and that is because I'm afraid to be ridiculed. I tried to keep my questions as short and as generalized as possible, to avoid going into unnecessary and probably irrelevant details.

Ridicule would be a common reaction from those who scoff, so you are wise to keep your beliefs to yourself unless you totally trust someone.

Quote:
In this particular case even firm believers in reincarnation, who remember many past lives of their own, do not seem to be willing to accept the possibility, however unlikely, that someone's imaginary tale might have been unknowingly based on another person's past life. Of course, it is not expected that non-believers will accept this notion, but one might hope that believers would be open to such possibilities in reincarnation.

Another possibility is that the lifetime you remember, though seeming like a fantasy by current standards, might have reflected very real and common issues of the time. For example, Red Riding Hood taking goodies to her Gran in the woods and coming across the Big Bad Wolf. That story is rooted in reality. So if your life followed that general script, the fairy tale may be a simple retelling of a common theme of the day, but FEEL like they are talking specifically of your lifetime.

Ultimately I see no reason to think a previous life could NOT appear to be a fantasy or fairy tale. It would, of course, be a matter of personal interpretation, and relating what you believe you know of that lifetime to events in the fairy tale or story, so quite possibly others would not make the same associations.
Old 26-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Does the Sun revolve around our flat Earth because it looks like that? We don't believe that because we put our faith in science? Can't we trust our senses? But our rationalizations? Should we just submit to faith? Yes / no / maybe / case-by-case / ...

the choice to believe the earth circles the sun is based not on any 'reality' but simply on the fact that looking at it that way makes the mathematics involved easier.

I could just as easily describe an orbit for the sun around the earth using similar mathematics, but such mathematics would be much harder to grasp.

But in neither case have we said anything about 'truth'. We've only made a random choice about what we want to believe, based on preference for easy maths.

And that is a truth: we want to make it easy on ourselves so much so we will grab random beliefs and call them 'truth'.
Old 26-05-2019, 09:52 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
the choice to believe the earth circles the sun is based not on any 'reality' but simply on the fact that looking at it that way makes the mathematics involved easier.

I could just as easily describe an orbit for the sun around the earth using similar mathematics, but such mathematics would be much harder to grasp.

But in neither case have we said anything about 'truth'. We've only made a random choice about what we want to believe, based on preference for easy maths.

And that is a truth: we want to make it easy on ourselves so much so we will grab random beliefs and call them 'truth'.

Sorry. Not sure what point you wanted to make there. I guess you didn't say that's better to make it easy than to strive for the truth (?).
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 26-05-2019, 11:10 PM
Master

Quote:
Sorry. Not sure what point you wanted to make there. I guess you didn't say that's better to make it easy than to strive for the truth (?).

I was really going on about the whole idea the earth circles the sun is at best misleading... it isn't a 'truth' the way people think...
Old 27-05-2019, 02:16 AM
ketzer

Quote:
Are we-in-our-dreams made of atoms?

Do the we-in-our-dreams have DNA?

Good questions, whether we are dreaming or awake.
Is the moon there when we are not looking at it?