Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Divination > Pendulums and Dowsing

Old 27-01-2015, 06:04 AM
aallee1

how exactly do pendulums work

Is it all your own mind and wants that swing the pendulum? I feel like mine lies to me
Old 27-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Master
how exactly do pendulums work
much study has gone into questions like that.
here's what Wikipedia has to say on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum

Quote:
Is it all your own mind and wants that swing the pendulum? I feel like mine lies to me
this sounds like you're needing to integrate your perceptions, mind, desires, and feelings into a unified whole.
perceptions can be decieving, but you need to trust yourself. if you are unable to function or need assistance, seek out medical help.
Old 27-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Pathfinder
That Wikipedia link doesn't touch on the topic of divination -- or using the pendulum to seek knowledge. You'll have to dig a bit more for that, and it sounds like you already have experience with using your pendulum. If you want more information, though, I found some wonderful tutorials on YouTube just by searching for pendulum use.

Aallee, I feel like mine lies to me too sometimes! Have you rinsed it in cold tap water and "calibrated it" -- asking it to show you the movements for "Yes" and "No"?

I find that I have to do this to "reset" it every so often. Also, if you're using it A LOT, it will kind of "burn out" and not work for awhile. You may want to take a break for a day or two.

You can also test it! Ask it a question that you don't yet know the answer to. Have you ever used your pendulum to find a lost item? I lost my favorite camera awhile back. So, I drew a (very basic) sketch of my entire apartment. I held the pendulum over each room and asked, "Is the camera here?" If I got a "No," I crossed out that room. I continued until I got a "Yes" over the outline of my bedroom. Then I narrowed it down to sections of the room. I got another "Yes" over my bed.

I thought my pendulum skills weren't up to par, as there is NOTHING near or around my bed (it's too low to fit anything underneath it), but I DID find my camera halfway under my bed, covered with extra blankets!

So, how does it work? I have no clue! Some people believe that it's spirit intervention. I'm willing to believe that. Others think that your subconscious moves it -- knowing the answers to questions that your conscious mind doesn't want to accept, or accessing subconscious information that we can't comprehend in our conscious mind.

So, maybe subconsciously, I KNEW where my camera was, and the pendulum helped me tap into that.

Keep us posted on any new developments!
Old 27-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Master
Having played with mind over matter a bit, I no longer trust pendulums personally, because I know my own desire for a particular answer can move the pendulum to match the answer I'm hoping to receive.

So I stick to much more random things like Oracle cards and Runes as I feel like I'm not interrupting/influencing them. (Although there have been occasions I've wondered...lol)

I do know people who are very skilled with the pendulum and it's definitely around things their mind couldn't know the answer too. Dividers who work in the Oil Field finding Oil for companies for example, people finding mineral veins for mining companies, Dividers finding locations for water wells. Good Dividers working with whatever their tool set is are highly employable by some Corporations.

There was a time during the Dark Age's were it was a crime against the Nobility of the land to have sticks around one's property in fact. The reason? Diviners.
The Lord or Baron of the land would charge peasants a fee to send his Water Witches in to find the location for a well on the property they tended for him and if the pheasants used their own divining skills then that was money he didn't get. Pheasants barely peeked out a living back then and so hunting the Lords deer and wildlife and divining for they own water wells was ways they could make ends meet. Over time some nobility deemed hunting the Nobilities game and divining to be such serious infractions as to be punishable by death.
Two sticks leaning up against a pheasants hovel were seen as evidence of divining which was considered stealing from the Lord or Nobility in charge of the lands.

Later on in agreements made between the Church and the Nobility to keep all the money in their coffers and to control the peasants - Divining became not only illegal and punishable by death in some cases, but was deemed a sin and one's soul would be cast in hell for doing it.
This insured the peasants stopped doing it to find food and water and moved that whole skill set into a major social prohibition punishable by God.
By making Divining a mortal sin it put serious dampeners on the many ways pheasants had come up with ways to divine without using sticks, as the fear of Hell was well trained into the populace by the Church by that time in history.

Just some random history for you :)
Old 27-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Pathfinder
Crystal, thank you so much for sharing this history!

My father-in-law now thinks that using dowsing rods is a sin -- so sad! In his day, he was incredibly accurate in using them to find water sources on their New England property.

I keep my pendulum use secret... I trust that it feels right in my heart and that I'm not using it for any negative purposes, but he's set in his ways.

Anyway, I too tend to gain more insight using my Tarot cards, though I clearly want that "yes" or "no" answer -- even when situations aren't so black and white! Ha!

Are Oracle cards like Tarot cards, or is there a difference? Also, how do you use Runes? I've never used them.

Thanks so much!
A
Old 27-01-2015, 05:48 PM
aallee1

Thanks guys. I just feel like sometimes it not giving me the right answr. I dint have tarot cards anymore and I actually am super addicted to.giving my money away to psychics lol and though I believe in them I feel like some lie and I just want to know the real answer to some things going on right now and im too.impatient to wait it out. I have cleansed my pendulum and did the whole show me the answer to yes, etc. And sometimes it's right. I'm ju st wondering if it is my subconscious mind answer ng it though, which I don't want. Bcz I don't know how other people are thinking. Kwim?
Old 27-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Pathfinder
I'm going to sound totally philosophical right now and ask... "What is the 'right' answer?" Sometimes I think the pendulum knows us better than we do. If it's something you feel strongly about, maybe you already know the answer? And the pendulum is just making you consider other options...?

I think, in this way, it really is about what you want and need. If you know something in your heart is the right answer, just do it -- don't feel that you need the pendulum to proceed. Your heart knows best.
Old 27-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Pathfinder
Oh, and as for the psychics thing -- have you tried a psychic medium? I've had better validations with a psychic medium. I felt like her approach was much more thorough. She could speak to my history, my family's history, etc. She told me specific things about my family that no one would ever know... including the fact that my uncle had false front teeth! Haha!

It was such a validating and inspiring experience.

I do amateur psychic medium readings and would be happy to do one for you here or via PM, for FREE, of course!
Old 27-01-2015, 08:00 PM
aallee1

I have talked to one psychic medium and she was like that too even talki ng avout family thins with the other party in question. I would love to have a reading. I'll have to pm you. :)
Old 27-01-2015, 11:03 PM
Master
interesting info Crystalsong, those pesky peasants could always find ways around the laws, still do. :)