Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 12:03 AM
jadedmelody

Wicca

Space_Man asked me to do an "All you need to know about Wicca" thread. Im not sure i can tell you ALL you need to know but i thought id at least provide as good an outline as I can. First of all, I used to be Wiccan for many years (i might be only 18 but i started young!). When i developed depression i stopped practicing it but it will stay close to my heart and i may well become a practicing Wiccan again one day. If there are more experienced Wiccans on this board than me i hope they'll contribute :)

Wicca is a Neo-Pagan religion. It's relatively new/modern, but is loosely made up of very ancient traditions and early witchcraft. Gerald Gardner is credited with re-introducing the word 'Wicca' into the English language, although he used the four-letter spelling - "Wica" - nowadays the four letter spelling is rare. In Old English wicca meant "A wizard, soothsayer, sorcerer, magician" (Bosworth, 1898 [1]). The word has long been out of use. Its modern English descendant is the word witch. Other disputed derivations are from the Old English roots wic, 'to bend', or wit, 'wisdom'. Wicca is often called the "Craft of the Wise", alluding to the latter derivation.

Wicca vs Witchcraft

It's a common misconception that the words "Wiccan" and "Witch" are interchangeable. The primary difference between the two is that a Wiccan worships a God and Goddess and other Wiccan beliefs and ethics - it is therefore a legitimate religion. Whereas one can be a Witch with no religion at all - atheists can be witches. Anyone of any religion can practice Witchcraft (or The Craft), although thier religion in many cases may teach that it is wrong. The reason for the confusion is that a large number of Wiccans believe in and use Magick. (Magick is spelled with a "K" on the end to distinguish it from magic tricks - you know, bunnies and hats and whatnot). So, many Wiccans are also Witches. And many Witches are also Wiccans, but one can be a Wiccan and not practice any magick, just as one can be a witch and have no religious beliefs.

Wiccan Beliefs and Principles

Most Wiccans worship a Goddess and a God and believe that all the Gods and Goddesses that have been worshipped are simply certain aspects of THE Goddess and God. Therefore, according to the ritual, a Wiccan can either invoke the God and Goddess as a whole, or can choose to invoke a specific representation - such as, for example, Zeus or Aphrodite - i.e. the aspects of Deity which fits thier specific ritual. Some traditions of Wiccans choose to focus more on the Goddess - such as Dianic Wiccans who are typically feminists. But they are sometimes criticised by other traditions of ignoring the importance of duality within Wicca. Wiccans believe that nature has a delicate balance of light and dark, good and evil, male and female, etc etc. Some Wiccans worship a being called "Spirit" - a genderless deity which can be said to comprise both the God and Goddess together. Some Witches use "Spirit" in thier spellwork and it is more closely linked with Witchcraft than Wicca. Spirit is also one of the elements. As such, the God and Goddess are seen as the God and Goddess of EVERYTHING- not just the good stuff, the "bad" stuff too, they are deities of war, of darkness and death just as much as of light, love and life. They are creators AND destroyers.

Wiccans believe in Reincarnation, and that the reason for reincarnation is that in each life the soul/spirit learns new lessons and after it dies, it reflects on these, and carries on being reincarnated until it reaches perfection. What happens at that point is a matter of huge debate and there is no one theory that takes precedence over the others. But many Wiccans believe in a place where the soul/spirit goes to reflect after death of the body, called the Summerland. This cycle of life, death and rebirth is reflected in the rising and setting of the sun, the cycle of the moon, the cycle of the year, etc etc. It is symbolised by the Triple Goddess - three facets of the Goddess called the Maiden, the Mother and the Crone.

Wicca has one law. It's called the Wiccan Rede and it goes - "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will" - in other words, you can do whatsoever you choose as long as it doesn't harm anyone (and that includes yourself, and it includes animals etc too)

Wiccans seek to attune themselves with Nature and see life and soul in everything - animals, trees, even stones and water. Its very strongly rooted in nature and recognises that Humans have a duty to protect nature and live in harmony with it. It's very empowering, because it teaches that we each have power within ourselves to change our world - be it through prayer and meditation or magick. The Divine lives in all of us. Sexuality is celebrated and sex for pleasure is not discouraged at all.

Wiccans also recognise that there are higher planes of being than our own - and inner worlds too - sometimes known as the Collective Unconsciouis. This is one of the main facilitators of magick.

Wicca has no authoritarian hierarchy. Elders are honored for thier knowledge and wisdom, but that doesn't mean they are seen as superior. Wicca does not claim to be the only true path. It welcomes everyone - of any sexuality, race, age, etc etc. Wiccans do not try and convert people to Wicca and do not appreciate trying to be converted either - we believe that everyone is entitled to thier religious beliefs. It is also very open to interpretation. Wiccans that are solitary are often very eclectic and create thier very own tradition of Wicca just for them - often integrating traditions picked up from studying other faiths such as Buddhism. There are also large numbers of traditions that certain groups practice.

Wiccans DO NOT worship Satan. Satan is part of the Christian mythology and it is therefore a ridiculous suggestion in itself, but Wiccans do not believe in any ultimate evil or any equivalent to Satan. Wiccans believe that to give Evil a name gives it power - to act as a scapegoat for example, and is counter-productive. Wiccans NEVER seek power through causing harm to anyone.

Wiccans celebrate 8 Sabbats, which are common to most Pagan traditions:
Four are solstices and equinoxes - the Solar Sabbats/Fire Festivals:

Vernal Equinox/Ostara
Summer Solstice/Midsummer/Litha
Autumnal Equinox/Mabon
Winter Solstic/Yule

The other four are:
Imbolc/Candlemas - Feb 2nd
Beltaine/Mayday - May 1st
Lammas/Lughnasadh - August 1st
Samhain/Halloween - Oct 31st/Nov 1st

The dates and names of the sabbats vary according to tradition.

Wiccans also have Esbats - days set aside for magick/spell work/rituals, most commonly on the full moon.

Um, its getting late so i'll leave it there for now but ill add more later :)
Old 01-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Poppies

Thanks for what you've written - it's very helpful!

I look forward to reading more when you're ready! :)
Old 01-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Space_Man

[quote=jadedmelody]
Old 01-02-2006, 08:52 PM
jadedmelody

[quote=Space_Man]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedmelody
Wiccans believe in Reincarnation, and that the reason for reincarnation is that in each life the soul/spirit learns new lessons and after it dies, it reflects on these, and carries on being reincarnated until it reaches perfection.
See, I had done a little reading on Wicca a while ago, but never encountered this. So, if I understand correctly, this is almost a bit in line with certain Eastern faiths
Old 01-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Space_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedmelody
From what I understand about purgatory in the traditional Catholic sense it's a place where sins are paid for and purged to cleanse the soul before Heaven - often by the soul being in pain and being punished.
You probably know as much about Purgatory as I do, but I did find this little descriptive tidbit that seemed interesting:
[quote]The ancient Liturgies and the inscriptions of the catacombs [describe one
Old 02-02-2006, 07:59 PM
jadedmelody

I feel somewhat dissatisfied with my original post - partly because I have recently been doing some reading and I feel I can do a much better job now. And partly because I am BY NO MEANS anywhere NEAR an expert on Wicca. In fact, I have read far too many Silver RavenWolf books for my own good really. Even when I used to be Wiccan, before I became Agnostic, I moved on slightly from Wicca and called myself an Eclectic Neo-Pagan because I incorporated Native American traditions and Buddhism into my practice. So although my foundation was Wiccan-influenced, it would not have been correct to call myself a Wiccan. (at least i recognised that.) I started off Wiccan, but I've learned that a great deal of people who call themselves Wiccans DO NOT ACTUALLY FOLLOW WICCA. Because they have learned about it from people like Silver RavenWolf and Scott Cunningham - who perpetuate the "Wicca can be anything you want" fashion. It can't.

Moreover, RavenWolf goes on about persecution of Witches by Christians. Christians weren't persecuting witches. Some of them may have had Pagan beliefs, but others were heretic Christians. Not to mention, the More Persecuted Than Thou syndrome is stupid when you remember that the Romans crucified and set Christians on fire and used them as street lamps (i kid you not). Some "Wiccans" have even taken to using slogans like "Never forget, never again". Which was originally used to refer to the Holocaust by Jews.

But, I find all this very interesting and I've really enjoyed learning about it so my plan is to do some more reading and re-vamp this thread. There's nothing like realising that you have been mislead to get you searching for the truth after all.

To answer your questions, Spacey,

"Witches do not believe that true morality consists of observing a list of thou-shalt-nots. Their morality can be summed up in one sentence, "Do what you will, so long as it harms none." This does not mean, however, that witches are pacifists. They say that to allow wrong to flourish unchecked is not 'harming none'. On the contrary, it is harming everybody." - Doreen Valiente - An ABC of Witchcraft Past & Present, 1973

The Rede really means "harm least". Obviously, its impossible to never cause harm. It's a moral theory similar to Utilitarianism - which argues that morally, the aim should be to maximise (physical OR emotional/psychological) pleasure and minimise pain. The Rede is not a law as such, as I wrongfully suggestion. "Rede" means advice.

As for "borrowing", Wicca "borrows" from paganism slightly more than Christianity. If you're referring to what I wrote before about Halloween, that "essay" was actually grossly misinformed and i regret writing it and misinforming other people as a result. :oops: :roll:
Closed Thread