Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 05-12-2019, 07:02 AM
Master
IS SELF REALIZATION ATTAINABLE?

Is self realization attainable?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 05-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Lorelyen

Looks like a new definition of self-realisation is on the way thanks to the New Age Industry.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn

Yes. With the caveat that I don't know what you call "self realization"
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:18 AM
Master
Like everything, if you believe it is, then it is and if you don't believe it is, then it isn't.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 AM
Master

According to Wiki the western definition is the "fulfillment by oneself of the possibilities of one's character or personality"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-realization

So is that like reaching your full potential? Reaching your goals? What if you change course half way through? Do you still reach your full potential?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:29 PM
Master
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-realization

The so called ''western'' definition seems lacklustre, possibly because we don't really use such concepts in our society. It also does not seem to relate to spirituality either.

Indian religions however describe self-realization in a spiritual context, so I go with this. Generally it is viewed as the end of a destination: no more incarnations, no more journey. If there is an end to a journey it means there is nothing more to learn, no adventure, no passion, etc. All that awaits is eternal bliss and oneness, with no craving of any kind. Or alternatively, there is eternal worship of a personal god, which is what I've heard from Hare Krishna people.

Is this possible? Is there an eternal form of god dancing and a band of followers in front of him/her singing praise? Hmm. Or what about the impersonalist belief where one is totally free of attachment and desire?

Exploring them, they do rest on a number of assumptions..

1. That a human is the highest, final incarnation within a hierarchy of life forms [This belief rests on teleological assumptions]. Humans are too quick to project themselves upon the universe, with the gods being like humans [looks, language, behaviour, construction work], and the idea that *happiness* and *suffering* are essential pieces of the universe.

2. That a human can be free of all attachment and desire [What about the need for other people for our well being? What about income, food, water, sex and survival?]. The meditating monk will also depend on alms or charity. It's easy to be distracted by that reality when you sit down in peace but one cannot escape that dependence. The act of spiritual practice and wanting to go deeper is a desire as well.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Master
If peeps relate Self as being what you are then Self Realization has to encompass what you are that is realized, that is from a finite perspective and an infinite perspective.

As touched upon with noone there is beyond that also ..

I think it's very straightforward regardless of what this scripture say's or that definition implies .

Peeps can argue all day long what it means, but I think the basics have to be addressed first in regards to what Self implies .. and what Realization implies ..

If there isn't any common ground with these two aspects then there really is no hope :)

x daz x
Old 06-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Of course.
That is the nature of existence...
And, as self-conscious beings, that is precisely what we are here for.

~ J
Old 08-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Master
Realization of one self?..... Realize who you really are???? That's what I would assume self realization is. But some people call an SUV a truck too. But then if you correct them they get mad and offended because they feel dumb and they start to argue and make no real points. You agree just so you can get on with life. Then the truth is lost and distorted. When there really is a difference between a truck and an SUV. It is what it is. Ok sorry for my rant.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:11 PM
Master

Good one hallow.