Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Signs & Synchronicities

Old 10-12-2019, 01:59 AM
Master

You create your own false information. People misremember facts to fit their biases.

Lately, several forumites brought into discussion synchronicities. It's hard to believe that signs we repeatedly notice could / should be discounted to our selective attention, or even coincidence.

I read a recent study, on sciencedaily.com, that confirms that our beliefs affect our recollection. It doesn't get much into explaining why (we hypnotize ourselves into seeing what we believe; we instruct our subconscious into drawing our attention to whatever we expect to perceive):

Quote:
Along with partisan news outlets and political blogs, there's another surprising source of misinformation on controversial topics -- it's you.

A new study found that people given accurate statistics on a controversial issue tended to misremember those numbers to fit commonly held beliefs.

... the results did suggest that we shouldn't worry only about the misinformation that we run into in the outside world, Poulsen said.

"We need to realize that internal sources of misinformation can possibly be as significant as or more significant than external sources," she said.

"We live with our biases all day, but we only come into contact with false information occasionally."
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 20-12-2019, 03:13 AM
Master

yeah... I noticed early on there was a discrepancy between how I remembered things and how others remembered things.

Unfortunately for me, from a philosophical standpoint once you buy that others can misremember things that opens the door for you misremembering things too, which means of course you can never tell who is RIGHT without just randomly choosing (although in actuality it isn't random, you choose whatever most suits your vanity) But that isn't too bad, it is a good lesson in not taking what one believes as sacrosanct... and opens the door for having a little faith I guess...

Meanwhile I'm having a lot of problems these days with the tendency to 'rewrite' my own motivations whenever I think about things that have recently happened. Seems like I want to think thoughts that flatter myself... I'm forever having to do the emotional equivalent of slapping myself on the wrist and saying 'that isn't the way I felt at all'. Seeking the truth about things sucks!
Old 20-12-2019, 03:32 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
yeah... I noticed early on there was a discrepancy between how I remembered things and how others remembered things.

[1] Unfortunately for me, from a philosophical standpoint once you buy that others can misremember things that opens the door for you misremembering things too, which means of course you can never tell who is RIGHT without just randomly choosing (although in actuality it isn't random, you choose whatever most suits your vanity) But that isn't too bad, it is a good lesson in not taking what one believes as sacrosanct... and opens the door for having a little faith I guess...

Meanwhile I'm having a lot of problems these days with the tendency to 'rewrite' my own motivations whenever I think about things that have recently happened. [2] Seems like I want to think thoughts that flatter myself... I'm forever having to do the emotional equivalent of slapping myself on the wrist and saying 'that isn't the way I felt at all'. Seeking the truth about things sucks!

[1] There's a way to improve your recollection. Your subconscious faithfully records all your perceptions and thoughts, and stores them forever (really!). Learning to access your subconscious is a valuable skill to acquire.

[2] I think that it is actually great to have good thoughts about yourself. You create your own reality (surely, being telepathically connected to all the other elementals of consciousness). There is no way to objectively assess anything outside your senses and beliefs. If you have good thoughts about your self, you'll create a better reality for you, than if you have "truthful thoughts" (whatever that illusion might be) about yourself. Don't slap yourself, because if you do it then you'll deserve it!
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.