Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Affirmations

Old 13-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Newbie ;)

Afformations rather than Affirmations

I love affirmations, but wondered if anyone hadn't heard of Afformations. They are a twist on affirmations. invented by Noah St John, basically it is asking questions. Now he says when most people use affirmations their minds work against them. Example "I am rich" usually the brain says no you are not look at the bills you have to pay etc. However with Afformations, he has you turn it into a question "Why am I so rich". The brain immediately starts looking for evidence to support you without the same resistance that an affirmation produces. So its a subtle way of shifting your vibration towards what you want to create within your life.
Old 13-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Master
Very interesting. I have never heard of this before.

But sounds a very viable method.
Old 13-04-2017, 03:57 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless36
I love affirmations, but wondered if anyone hadn't heard of Afformations. They are a twist on affirmations. invented by Noah St John, basically it is asking questions. Now he says when most people use affirmations their minds work against them. Example "I am rich" usually the brain says no you are not look at the bills you have to pay etc. However with Afformations, he has you turn it into a question "Why am I so rich". The brain immediately starts looking for evidence to support you without the same resistance that an affirmation produces. So its a subtle way of shifting your vibration towards what you want to create within your life.

This seems interesting indeed, I hadn't heard of them before either. Thanks for sharing!

- Limerence
Old 16-04-2017, 04:37 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Mr Noah doesn't understand how affirmations work and why you must repeat them very often. The idea is to drill them into one's "subconscious" so they begin to steer one's actions and attitudes. Successful people do them unwittingly.

Besides, "I am rich" is a poor way of affirming and it's why LOA creates disappointment for many. "I am getting richer every day" is a bit better. If you just affirm your aim a couple of times a day of course it won't work. It needs lots of affirmation and supplemented with visualisation.

If it's true that some people's minds work against an affirmation, then it's equally true of Mr Noah's idea. "Why am I so rich" isn't going to help when the bills have to be paid because the person immediately falls back to the default "No, I'm not, I have to pay these bills." How will his idea not trick the mind in working against someone? At least with solid affirmation you'll find the bills easier to pay because no matter what position you're in, your mind will have started focusing on becoming richer - you stop frittering money; you find ways to invest what little you have to spare, you start developing the single-mindedness of a financially resouceful person. etc.

When I went self-employed I knew there'd be scary moments when money could dry up so I affirmed like crazy that I'd find ways to make a go of it with a degree of comfort. I did. I was more adaptable than I once thought.

So quite honestly I don't buy it. Mr St John attempts to project his own inabilities on others as a factoid. He hasn't thought it through very well. No doubt he's written a book.

Old 17-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Experiencer

Quote:

Fearless36 THANK YOY for bringing this great awareness to affirmations. The twist certainly twists those not ready to accept they don't "know it all"

This IS very interesting. I absolutely agree how this shifts our inner awareness to manifest our journey's choices for peace, love and joy!

Thanks again
Old 18-04-2017, 08:32 AM
Lorelyen

^^^ Well, that's fine but ask yourself logically which is likely to give a better outcome:

The beggar in the street lighting up with "Why am I so rich?"

or

The beggar in the street proclaiming, "I'll do better for myself than this. I will get richer."

We could all write books on our particular slant, come up with new jargon and claim it's the best thing since sliced bread.... but affirmations have been around for millennia. There's little to actually know. "I can't gets you nothing. I can works wonders, I will works miracles." Get focused and go get it, sort of thing. I know. Been there, done it. Know a good many people who have used affirmations successfully. Unfortunately it's books that sow the seeds of doubt more than anything. They turn it into a complex system that inherently make people wonder if they can do it.

Old 19-04-2017, 06:43 AM
Master
I can see Lorelyn's side here. I'd be inclined to agree with this line of thinking.

I usually am not one to do much affirmations really. The way I manifest is a touch different and in a way in line with what Lorelyn has said unless I am mistaken.

Basically I do a lot of journal writing with my affirmations. And, Instead of declaring something as already so- because it is true- that type of thinking could be a real set up for doubt and failure, what I do is I will write my affirmations within my journal as a normal journal writing and within my daily writing, but instead of declaring something as already so I write it in terms of it is a hope to achieve. So for an example- if I am looking to save money for something- I really want to save money for a clothes iron for my embroidering work. Is something I would write. Then- A cheap one is around 40 or 50 bucks- would be about such and such long for saving.

So it sounds like normal journal writing, but inspires more faith and hope for myself as I write it as a goal I am looking to actively work on achieving instead of a bold brassy untrue statement I am more liable to doubt.

In time- my success rate for manifesting in this manner is high enough that I have confidence in the method. Also a neat thing with the journaling is I have come to manifest things I had forgotten writing about, and when I went back to look at the writing after receiving that which I required, realized it was something I was actively in affirmation with to achieve as I then noticed the amount it was written about, which if I am really looking forward to something or in obtaining a cxertain thing; I write about it quite often. This also helps me to set goals in means of obtaining. Like cost and transportation, and I often times find at times that sometimes I simply need make mention of wanting something, and it is then given to me when unexpected by someone who had it. And the cycle of giving continues as that brings me happiness and I look to spread that happy feeling to others and be their- you showed up and had what I needed, just when I needed you type individual.
Old 20-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturninePluto
I

In time- my success rate for manifesting in this manner is high enough that I have confidence in the method. Also a neat thing with the journaling is I have come to manifest things I had forgotten writing about, and when I went back to look at the writing after receiving that which I required, realized it was something I was actively in affirmation with to achieve as I then noticed the amount it was written about, which if I am really looking forward to something or in obtaining a cxertain thing; I write about it quite often. This also helps me to set goals in means of obtaining. Like cost and transportation, and I often times find at times that sometimes I simply need make mention of wanting something, and it is then given to me when unexpected by someone who had it. And the cycle of giving continues as that brings me happiness and I look to spread that happy feeling to others and be their- you showed up and had what I needed, just when I needed you type individual.

You've hit on an important point. Try not to go out of one's way looking for results. Difficult, yes; notice things, yes, but don't question too deeply or get disappointed if an obvious result doesn't appear in a hoped-for timescale. Setting a timescale is dodgy - it depends how practical one's aim is.

Sounds a bit of a contradiction but - look on things with disinterested interest! if that makes any sense.

Old 22-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Master
Afformations rather than Affirmations

Quote:

Fearless36,

I have never heard of this twist on affirmations you cite from Noah St. John.

However, it occurred to me that your Example:"I am rich" usually the brain says no you are not look at the bills you have to pay etc. However with Afformations, he has you turn it into a question "Why am I so rich". The brain immediately starts looking for evidence to support you without the same resistance that an affirmation produces."....

....would likely cause my brain to answer the Afformation, "Why am I so rich?" with a similar answer as to the Affirmation,namely "...if you're so rich, how can you honestly be asking such a question in the face of obviously contrary circumstances?"

Basically, the whole problem I've found with affirmations is, ironically, not with affirmations, per se, but with the feelings they're supposed to generate. As cited in the reference by Neville Goddard entitled "Feeling is the Secret", below:

"The dominant of two feelings is the one expressed. I am healthy is a stronger feeling than I will be healthy. To feel I will be is to confess I am not; I am is stronger than I am not. What you feel you are always dominates what you feel you would like to be; therefore, to be realized, the wish must be felt as a state that is rather than a state that is not."

The feeling generated, in me, at least, and perhaps in many others, by twisting an Affirmation into an Afformation, usually begs the question, "Who are you foolin"? Why? Because, as just cited above, What you feel you are (poor) always dominates what you feel you would like to be (rich).

Do you see?

So the solution, for me, at least (and I suspect, for most), must involve overcoming the feeling of being poor, with a more powerful feeling of being rich, ....in a way that doesn't automatically generate the usual "Who are you foolin'?" response, programmed into my subconscious self-image amassed over a lifetime of "evidence" of feeling poor.

So, what is the REAL SOLUTION, beyond Affirmations or Afformations? Fortunately, Neville Goddard reveals PRECISELY what the solution is in the following excerpts from the reference below:

Chance or accident is not responsible for the things that happen to you, nor is predestined fate the author of your fortune or misfortune. Your subconscious impressions determine the conditions of your world. The subconscious is not selective; it is impersonal and no respecter of persons [Acts 10:34; Romans 2:11]. The subconscious is not concerned with the truth or falsity of your feeling. It always accepts as true that which you feel to be true.

He goes on to state:

Therefore, if you dwell on difficulties, barriers or delay, the subconscious, by its very non-selective nature, accepts the feeling of difficulties and obstacles as your request and proceeds to produce them in your outer world.

In other words, it is not whether the "words" comprising Affirmations are twisted into Afformations...that cause the changes you want in your life....no matter how frequently they're repeated, or rearranged.

...it is because, "Your feelings create the pattern from which your world is fashioned, and a change of feeling is a change of pattern."

Feeling is the secret...behind WHY "therefore the wish must be felt as a state that is rather than a state that is not", as referenced above

I hope you find the remainder of Neville Goddard's works, and the very excellent perspectives provided in his other works, (also referenced below), as helpful I have.

...at least, for how my mind works. This information may not be as useful to others as it has been to me.

Thanks for providing such an excellent subject in this thread...

BTW: Miss Hepburn started an entire sub-forum based on Neville Goddard's writings, which I've provided as the 2nd reference.

Reference: http://www.feelingisthesecret.org/

Reference: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=104891
“Why, that’s true! I am a perfect, unlimited gull!” Jonathan opened his eyes asking, "Where are we?” The Elder Chiang said, “We’re on some planet with a green sky and a double star for a sun.” Jonathan made a scree of delight. “IT WORKS!" “Well, of course it works, Jon,” said Chiang. “It always works, when you know what you’re doing." (and even when you don't)

Last edited by guthrio : 22-04-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 23-04-2017, 12:58 PM
Master
Quote:

Interesting haven't heard of this way before.

I spent two years with affirmations to change the way my mind was conditioned and it opened up a wave of deeper healing work to clear out the full capacity of that conditioned mindset. So anything one applies focus to can create a shift of deeper/richer awareness. With shifts, often other things arise to work with, not sure about this way, but what harm can it do if your keen for change in some way.

My affirmations were to clear out emotional baggage contained in me. It worked for that, opened feelings, energetic containment, new awareness and new direction, once clear in the whole unfolding of that initial point of change.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder