Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 19-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Seeker

opposing views

I am such a positive and loving person very liberal and accepting. The problem is I am constantly around people who are nothing like that. They are constantly nagging, really ignorant and like to make fun of others. They are not like me at all I enjoy pushing the envelope,out with the old in with the new, equality for everyone, and I hope when I am older to make the world a better place. I am afraid to tell people all of my views sometimes I talk to them about politics but not all of my views and opinions because they might find it weird and offputting. I am from a mainly carribean/ middle eastern community in which basically all of my friends, family, & neighbors have views that are usually conservative and quite old and ignorant. This makes me sad because in this particular case I am nothing like them I have the views of the generation i was born in not of my parents, grandparents family members etc. What can I do it really put me down and is very draining?
Old 19-07-2016, 03:50 PM
Lorelyen

Hi 1in9combined,

No easy answer. It's how people are in the current state of the world and society. Most are just puppets to consumerism... they go around with their little gadgets buying the things they've been told to buy, doing the things the ads tell them to do. Their friends are figments on social media to be added, blocked, praised, hurt, lied to, as the whimsy takes them. Many (in the Uk at least) weren't nurtured by their parents who just provided a roof, food and clothing - their upbringing, nurturing farmed out to child carers, nurseries... and the last people they ever get to know are their parents.

So...to me, they have no identity. All those distractions - TV, social media. recreational spending - don't make up for a foundation based on parental love which parents should give. (Mine didn't, at least, not my birth parents) so how can they develop a sense of who they are? Who can they turn to to find out?

You may think I sound cynical, dismissive, negative....? Not at all. It's awakening to this situation that's often the first big step in spiritual growth. It may take time to extricate yourself from "the system" but even small steps are progress toward recovering your Self.

I won't question your ideas. These are yours and sacrosanct. They may develop over a period of time and you become a beacon for those wanting a) change and b) possibly the change you present.

You're in a particularly interesting position to comment in a variegated community that would have possible tensions. I sense some difficulty in your community but without knowing more I can't comment. I live in a pretty liberal, cosmopolitan town where people get on respectably well. Still, it's within people's powers to do something about their plight. Often they don't want to because the established ways are "knowns" and comfortable even if constricting. They don't want to offend elders whom they perceive to carry a certain authority. And it's easier to fit into a flock if one acts like a sheep.

So what can you do? Preserve your values. Be the example of what you want to see and remain as aloof as you can to, as you put it, avoid being drained of your positive energies. You won't have many friends at this point (among these people) but what's the betting if you can smile and take all with equanimity, people will start looking to you?

Old 19-07-2016, 03:54 PM
Deactivated Account

perhaps you could find other topics of interest to talk about that would be interesting to both parties..... .

always best not to talk politics
Old 19-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
perhaps you could find other topics of interest to talk about that would be interesting to both parties..... .

always best not to talk politics

Beg pardon...? Please indicate what's political about the dialogue so far (other than the politics of spirituality, that is)?

It's often the problem and without knowledge of results it's difficult to work out what one's doing that infringes the rules when nothing is apparent. Several people have talked of similar situations and want to rise above them or something similar.

Thanks.
Old 19-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Beg pardon...? Please indicate what's political about the dialogue so far (other than the politics of spirituality, that is)?

It's often the problem and without knowledge of results it's difficult to work out what one's doing that infringes the rules when nothing is apparent. Several people have talked of similar situations and want to rise above them or something similar.

Thanks.

Lorelyen .... I am not speaking as a Mod and I'm not saying this thread is talking about politics ....relax.

I should have directed my comment to 1in9combined ...... in reference to his/her conversations he/she is having with the locals/friends, whoever .

I am just saying, in general conversations talking about politics, especially when there are different views and one knows the ones they are chatting with don't agree , isn't the best topic for people to get along .

Just saying .... maybe there is another topic for 1in9combined to chat about with his/ her friends local people ?
Old 19-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Lorelyen

Ah. Thank you for that.

I've just PMd you. Please now disregard it! ....Thanks. I was about to post here to ask you to delete my posts that unwittingly infringed!

Old 19-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Deactivated Account

All's good , thanks
Old 20-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Seeker

Like when we talk about politics and I say I am liberal they all have a problem with it. Like if I say I believe in pro choice for example they would flip out. I am definitely not saying that I talk to them about politics all the time cause that would be weird to do esp. at my age. What I am saying is I have very different opinions then them in general the people in my community are all from the same areas and so most of their views are all similar and the views they have are old and conservative. Since mine are so different I feel the need to have to repress them sometimes. They think it is great that I have so many opinions but they want it to align with theirs. Like my family tells me things like oh when I am old enough to vote I have to vote the way that they are voting. Whenever I tell them an opinion I have that they do not agree with they would say something like was not brought up that way, what are you saying right now your giving me heart pain ... just for saying what I believe. What does not make it easier is that the kids, teens, and young adults in my community have the same older opinions. The people in my community like I said mot of them are immigrants from the carribean, latin america, and the middle east, many of them are really into their religion and have old opinions and despite the changing times they are unwilling to change their own ideas on certain topics. Another reason why I talk to them about politics to begin with is because I was that kid that always wanted to stay informed and learn as much as I can from a very young age. I used to use google to look up anything I wanted to learn about, I would watch cnn, hln,etc. just as much as the adults, I was always in the gifted program so we would read a lot of non-fiction and do current events essays since I was in like the first grade. So from all thee factors I developed my strong opinions early so everyone in my family would always want to ask my opinions in regards to x,y, and z ... basically anything popular or important at the time and I just can't say to my older cousin or uncle in front of everyone that I don't feel like talking about it it would look disrespectful and they would probably feel hurt or even embarrassed.