Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 04-06-2016, 12:42 AM
Seeker
Exploring sights and sounds during meditation -- kosher or not?

Music or virtual worlds may manifest during meditation. Does Buddhism teach to pay no mind and move along or to explore and find significance?
Old 04-06-2016, 04:28 AM
Suspended
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsnrabbits
Music or virtual worlds may manifest during meditation. Does Buddhism teach to pay no mind and move along or to explore and find significance?

Personally, I think the ability to visualize like that is a gift. I have that ability pretty much blocked in me for some reason. I've done something like that but yea... it never works out. I'd say have fun with it. As far as the pay no mind or explore, to me Buddhism is about something different. It's not only a set of rules to follow, it is also teaching a path to a higher consciousness and awareness. If you are seeking that, really it applies it's own moral code or rules.

It's hard to explain but like where you say, pay no mind... that implies an authority in your mind. A thing in charge, that says do this and don't do that. If you can find a state of awareness where you drop all mental authorities, that awareness brings it's own discipline. Sometimes people use the phrase, observe the observer. It's like you try to be spiritual and so you think, ok I will have no thought. I must watch myself...not seeing that in itself is thinking.... So sometimes we think we are doing "it" and really we are not doing anything different at all. The "doing" is a very subtle thing that is hard to notice but that's why it is involved in "awareness." Mindfulness pushes ones awareness onto a higher plane. It is like "exercise' and the more you do it the better you get at it, and also, sometimes souls purposely bring very little spiritual energy into the incarnation to make it even more of a challenge.

Visualizing is looking ( or listening) with your mind. As long as it is positive and good in nature, I'd say it's a good thing. But yea like anything, a person can become overly attached to it.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Seeker
thanks for that
it deconfused me

i was listening to fiona apple
she doesnt sleep to dream
which got me wondering about dreams during meditation

as long as i dont become overly attached is just right

also phone makes for awkward typing
sorry for grammar
Old 05-06-2016, 02:17 AM
Master
No it is not ok.

Meditation is about meditation not off spending time in some vision.

It really doesn't matter what type of meditation you do. You can focus on your breath, observe your body, energy, stare at a spot on a wall or watch your thoughts. It is all the same.

If you are for instance using your breath as your focus. You will notice that one minute you are concentrating on the rise of your belly or the breath coming and going from your nostrils. So one moment you are focusing on your breath and the next thing you know you are gone, lost in a daydream or a vision.

At the his point you gently return back to your breath. It was the point between you focusing on your breath and when you noticed you were lost in vision or thought that you experienced inner silence.nin time this space between grows and grows.

Getting lost in thought or visions is normal. It is the minds way of fighting being silent. Don't ever get mad just gently go back to your point of focus and know it is normal.

Now after meditation have fun and explore all you want. But not during meditation.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:35 AM
Master
Quote:

Whatever works for you is the right way. There are many types of Meditation's so look around and explore the different methods and see which ones suit you.
I prefer 'Mindfulness' but each to their own
Old 05-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Whatever works for you is the right way. There are many types of Meditation's so look around and explore the different methods and see which ones suit you.
I prefer 'Mindfulness' but each to their own

Is getting lost in music or visions the right way? Will that lead one to progress through the different Jhanas?

Now there are Buddhist meditations that use visualization like Love and Compassion but that is different than concentrating on your breath and then getting lost in thoughts.

Can you share with me a respected Buddhist teacher who would say what works for you is the right way?

Please provide a link or reference to the quote you will I am sure provide.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Is getting lost in music or visions the right way? Will that lead one to progress through the different Jhanas?

Now there are Buddhist meditations that use visualization like Love and Compassion but that is different than concentrating on your breath and then getting lost in thoughts.

Can you share with me a respected Buddhist teacher who would say what works for you is the right way?

Please provide a link or reference to the quote you will I am sure provide.

Yes The Buddha himself, very respected and always said ' Self realization ' not blind faith.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Master
Quote:

In process of going deeper I found it all served me to build deeper connection all round in that process itself. Even as I was moving through all this, for me personally it served the space often in me to understand lots more moving through that I might not have otherwise understood. Ultimately over time this didn't stop/block me moving through and letting go deeper, but more helped me to be more aware of the process itself, until no longer needed.

Anyway you want to know what Buddhism teach.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 05-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Yes The Buddha himself, very respected and always said ' Self realization ' not blind faith.

The Buddha taught methods and even talked about meditation masters.

Your understanding of self realization and the Buddhas meaning is way different.

Never forget everything tradition in Buddhism is teacher based. Not do it your own way.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Master
Ma anussavena.
* Do not believe something just because it has been passed along and retold for many generations. [Simpler: Do not be led by what you are told.]

Ma paramparaya.
* Do not believe something merely because it has become a traditional practice. [Do not be led by whatever has been handed down from past generations.]

Ma itikiraya.
* Do not believe something simply because it is well-known everywhere. [Do not be led by hearsay or common opinion.]

Ma Pitakasampadanena.
* Do not believe something just because it is cited in a text. [Do not be led by what the scriptures say]

Ma takkahetu.
* Do not believe something solely on the grounds of logical reasoning. [Do not be led by mere logic.]

Ma nayahetu.
* Do not believe something merely because it accords with your philosophy. [Do not be led by mere deduction or inference.]

Ma akaraparivitakkena.
* Do not believe something because it appeals to "common sense". [Do not be led by considering only outward appearance.]

Ma ditthinijjhanakkhantiya.
* Do not believe something just because you like the idea. [Do not be led by preconceived notions (and the theory reflected as an approval)]

Ma bhabbarupataya.
* Do not believe something because the speaker seems trustworthy. [Do not be led by what*seems*acceptable; do not be led by what some seeming believable one says.]

Ma samano no garu ti.
* Do not believe something thinking, "This is what our teacher says". [Do not be led by what your teacher tells you is so.]

Kalamas, when you yourselves directly know, "This is [these things are] unwholesome, this is blameworthy, this is condemned or censured by the wise, these things when accepted and practised lead to poverty and harm and suffering," then you should give them up.

Kalamas, when you yourselves directly know, "These things are wholesome, blameless, praised by the wise; when adopted and carried out they*lead to well-being, prosperity and happiness," then you should accept and practise them."

Gautama Buddha, Kesaputti Sutta, 5th sutta (sutra) in the Book of Threes (Mahavagga) in the*Gradual*