Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 31-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Newbie ;)

Myths and Facts About Back Pain

Many people with lower back pain don’t manage it well because of wrong advice – and a lot of unhelpful myths about what back pain is and what you should do about it. Healthcare professionals all over the world speak to patients who think, for example, that back pain can damage their backs. This is not always the case. The weight of evidence shows that many assumptions made about lower back pain are wrong and, what’s more, could be harmful. Below are some of the most common misconceptions.
1. Moving will make my back pain worse

Do not fear twisting and bending. It is essential to keep moving. Muscles that are in spasm, due to pain, relax when gently moved and stretched. Gradually increase how much you are doing, and stay on the move.
2. Avoid exercise (especially weight training)

Back pain should not stop you enjoying exercise or regular activities. In fact, studies have found that continuing with these can help you get better sooner – including weight training. All exercise is safe provided you gradually build up intensity and do not immediately return to previous levels of exercise after an acute episode of pain.
Don’t stop exercising.
3. A scan will show exactly what is wrong

There is a poor correlation between findings on a scan and sources of pain. Most adults without back pain will have changes in the anatomy of their spine that are visible age-related adaptations that don’t cause any problems (they are the spinal equivalent of skin wrinkles, visible but not a source of pain). Finding a feature on a spine scan that is strongly related to pain or a serious threat to health is exceptionally rare (less than 1%).
4. Pain equals damage

This was an established view, but more recent research has changed our thinking. Level of pain has very little relationship to damage to the spine and more to do with your unconscious and conscious interpretation of the level of threat the pain represents to the sufferer. Cultural influences, work, stress, past experience and duration of symptoms have a stronger relationship with pain than the number of normal age-related changes you have on your scan.
Old 26-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Seeker

RE: Myths and Facts About Back Pain

I agree! Back pain often worsens when we stay stationary. The best thing I have found for back pain is shiatsu. I love that it is a cross between massage and acupressure. It's so enjoyable and so effective!
Old 27-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Master
I've had major back surgery and know a little bit about this topic.

Surgery is definitely needed in some instances. It is more than just back pain; there is damage that requires surgery in order to repair it.

Surgery is not needed in other instances. Acupuncture 100% healed the pain that returned a few months after my surgery. This was after I was told I would require more surgery, after which I went looking for alternative solutions.

A lot of back pain, and quite possibly in most cases, is caused by one easily-remedied problem: being overweight. I typically weigh in the low/middle-range of my ideal weight for my height/body type. But the few times I have let my weight go up past that -- even just 10-15 lbs, to the high-range of my ideal weight -- I always begin developing daily and constant back pain. And when I go back to eating properly, and my weight drops back to normal, the back pain disappears completely.
Old 30-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Back pain is disabeling and it stops you in your tracks I have lower back pain but mine is due to arthritis. I have had physio, acupuncture but nothing works
for me so I have to manage it best as I can.if you have found a way it works for you you are lucky.

Namaste

The spoken word always comes back as Whispers in the wind
Old 30-09-2018, 09:31 PM
Master
i ni it doz i had a mri scan dun few mths go i did thy wear tryin to fin nerv damagess thy wear thy fond wear tear in nec sholdr in spinee bit it did
i no its a formm of art i do coz i no mom stred to get in her 40s she did
i no mom now in 80s alz on a zimmrr fram to get her abot

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 09-11-2018, 04:27 AM
Ascender
I too struggle with spinal damage/ issues.c2-4 come out of the top of your ack into the lower neck. I don't think my weight affects this much. But using my arms about half a normal person usually prevents me from serious pain. I suspect someday I will end up doing a surgery.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Master
I like a guy named Dr Stuart McGill aka 'The Back Mechanic'. His book, "Back Mechanic" is widely acclaimed, he has hours of discourse on you tube, and he is the chief science officer at https://www.backfitpro.com/

Worth a look.