Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 31-10-2014, 04:36 PM
talking crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMyself
I suppose I'm referring to being Buddhist but also being a Druid/Witch/etc. in a similar way as how in Japan, it is very common for people to practice both Buddhism and Shinto, the indigenous religion of Japan. From what I've learn, Eastern religions, and Eastern cultures in general, are much less worried about such syncretisms than Western culture seems to be. I'm very new to learning about Buddhism and find myself drawn to what I have learned so far, but in that process I'm also evaluating my prior connections to Druidry and where that fits into who I am today. I'm not really at that point yet to where if someone were to ask me "what religion are you" I would reply "I'm Buddhist", but it's something that I've been considering.

Hey FindingMyself, I relate some to what you've written. I have also struggled with my spiritual identity at times, particularly how to answer that question. I even posted about it here a while back http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...ad.php?t=65571
Since then, I've come to terms with not really fitting into one religion or spirituality. I throw all dogma out the window and learn from all different religions and belief systems and embrace what fits with what I believe at my core, and practice in ways that help me grow. I related to your post, because my household is largely influenced by Buddhism and Paganism. It absolutely fits for me. It also fluctuates. I have had years where Buddhism was the primary influence in my life, years where it was Druidry, years where it was Lakota beliefs, and years where it was Yoruba. I have gained SO MUCH from these different practices. I have absolutely incorporated them all into what I practice today. I know that it will continue to fluctuate. I think that is okay. I have at times identified as a Druid and at times a Buddhist. Today, I identify as Pagan, but I take what feels right from the different belief systems and practices I have learned. Namaste, Blessed Be.
Old 18-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Experiencer

OK - I realize I'm necro'ing an old thread, but... I used to practice with a Tibetan sect of Buddhism, and as someone who had dabbled in paganism/ceremonial magick/etc in the past, I found myself seeing magical stuff *everywhere*, especially within Tibetan Buddhism. Many of the practices are deeply esoteric and there is a large "energy work" component to many of them. I found that I didn't enjoy working with Western-born teachers, though. Whenever I had a 'supernatural' type of experience related to the practice, the Western teachers were quick to dismiss it, whereas the Tibetan-born teachers had a cultural context for these experiences. Many Westerners are quick to disregard this stuff and treat it as "a philosophy". Whereas for many Tibetans, it's what they actually believe. A very significant portion of that belief system comes from Tibet's native Bon shamanism, too.