Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:51 AM
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely
I'm sorry I just have to speak out here since I posted a similar thread a
few years back and got a horrible response and am seeing history repeat itself.

Hey lovely. Yes. I find that myself too. History does have a way of repeating myself. I see others doing things I did myself and getting same the same reactions to a situation. Very peculiar. I also do find the reaction for this post, especiall ON the vegan forum quite odd for a "spiritual forum" where I would think people would be more open to a lifestyle that is compassionate and about something "bigger" than themselves. I always seem to expect too much of people I guess. I honestly think to myself how the people who were so quick to jump the gun here, could really consider themselves spiritual people. Just seems a bit contradictory to me. As I have stated, yet people seemed to ignore (my guess the defensiveness of the less compassionate lifestyle at work here, no?), I never said that people had to be vegan to be spiritual, only that truly understanding it and becoming one can bring about a sort of enlightenment. That happened for me, and I am hearing about it (not exactly in the words of enlightenment) as a new awakening/revelation from many others. Like a whole new world being opened up.

Mmm. If a thread gets out of hand or I can't stand the people (usually at the point where I'm going around in circles with them, having to repeat myself because they keep saying the same false concept as their defense) I just leave for a few days so I dont' blow up on people. I give myself some time to take a break. I have faith that the truly sensible people to who reason matters to can see the difference between a thought out response, and a defensive and non sensical one.

Thanks for your concern though. I reallly appreciate it.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:55 AM
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi

I thought about the eggs, and it did occur to me that in this particular and specific case, I could honestly see no harm done in eating those (unfertilized) eggs, neither to the chickens, nor to myself. Eggs are highly nutritious.
However I keep open-hearted and open-minded about that, and if I learn it is not a good thing to do, for any reason, I will listen.

One issue is with hatcheries. If this lady buys the chicks from a hatchery, undoubtedly the male chicks will be discarded since very few people want roosters. It is possible to adopt hens, but you have to look in animal shelters or pet adoption websites and they aren't as common as the typical house cat that needs a good home.

I live on a farm with chickens, and I still don't eat their eggs though because I just don't feel like they are mine to take or use. Farm sanctuaries will sometimes feed the eggs back to the chickens.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Master
As a species we've been living on a meat-plant diet for thousands of years. We've had ''spiritual'' gurus and experiences for thousands of years as well. It's blatantly ignorant to believe that one part of humanity, in a subtropical agricultural land (India!) have all the truth. Yes let's ignore the rest of the world.

In the end, the idea that only one diet is 'spiritually' satisfying is a limited and provincial belief system. Don't get me wrong, it can work for an individual.

Environmentally it's also unsound. While Brazilian forest is cut down to feed the cattle, pretty much all the Asian forests are cut down for tropical fruits, tea, and palm oil.
So here again we see the veg community being incredibly selective.. as they do with health (ignoring sugar and salt intake of western societies), they also tend to do it with diet (ie. every meat eater eats the same amount of meat), and they are also selective when it comes to the environment.

I too, used to be trapped in those little cages of selectiveness. Glad I'm out of it. These issues are far more complicated then limited ideologies can account for.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit
One issue is with hatcheries. If this lady buys the chicks from a hatchery, undoubtedly the male chicks will be discarded since very few people want roosters. It is possible to adopt hens, but you have to look in animal shelters or pet adoption websites and they aren't as common as the typical house cat that needs a good home.

I live on a farm with chickens, and I still don't eat their eggs though because I just don't feel like they are mine to take or use. Farm sanctuaries will sometimes feed the eggs back to the chickens.

It's interesting you should say that because this lady gets all her hens from the local animal rescue (and dogs and cats) She loves to see them come out and look around at all the grass, and their new lifestyle, and start running around. Once one came out of its carry-box, started walking about the grass, then came back up to her, cocked its head on one side, looked at her, and ran off to join the other chickens. She swore it was saying "thanks"! lol.
She does actually let them have some of their own eggs back for them to eat, and because she's a small operation only takes about 50% of the eggs anyway.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:28 PM
arive nan

thread closed

Last edited by arive nan : 17-01-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Closed Thread