Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Reiki

Old 19-04-2012, 11:49 AM
angelfire

advice on giving free reiki

hi everybody

i was wondering, because of the financial climate, if i should offer reiki for free.

i am level 2 tera-mai secheim attuned and wanted to offer reiki as a mobile service.

i know us reiki folk have to pay for attunements but i know people in need of healing that can benefit but wont have a treatment because of cost

i read somewhere if you receive reiki for nothing then nothing is what you receive.

not sure what to do.

love and light
angelfire
xxxx
Old 19-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Ascender
I think it's fine to give Reiki for free. I know a group of somewhat-local Reiki practitioners who go to their cancer treatment center to give Reiki to those who desire it. It's all volunteer.

If you want, allow for an optional donation, but do not require anyone to pay. That way, those who can afford to pay can. And those who cannot afford to pay can still receive Reiki.
Old 19-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Autums_Moon

I don't believe there's anything wrong with giving Reiki for free. Triner makes a good point. There are also times where you feel money isn't important and this individual needs Reiki, needs healing. I tend to think if the individual is willing to accept the help of Reiki, its healing energy and change and does just that, Improving and becoming better, then I think that's more rewarding than money. I understand the money aspect, but I also think if someone is need of reiki then its okay. I hope this makes sense lol. Just woke up...I also tend to have trouble communicating my thoughts to others.
Old 19-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Rin

I think there are very few people who cannot afford to pay anything at all. Especially if someone is desperate they should be more than willing to spend a little on something that should help them.
IMO treatment should be affordable but large enough to still cause a little bit of 'financial pain'.
An honor system might work, charge x% of their monthly income, possibly with the %age in a few bands.
For me, if it is given for free the person would really have to be in a totally devastated state.
Old 19-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Windward

Where did you read that you get nothing in return?

Now, I do believe that someone who does pay tends to receive more benefits out of Reiki and other forms of spiritual treatment (agreeing with Autums Moon here); it's almost like an entitled exchange, where say, for example, you purchase something from a store and get something in return for your money. But never do I believe that this is a necessity for the greater good of things. Since we are talking about healing here, I tend to believe that a little well being is a right and not something merely paid for.

I work for a volunteer group that does distance healing for free. People who use this service do generally receive the benefits of healing at no cost. Not always the case, but sometimes it does help, and sometimes we get some good feedback.

Money helps in some ways, certainly, but for most intents and purposes, Reiki should work fine without it. It's not a commodity, it's more of a life force. The Japanese spelling for Reiki, which is similar to how it's actually pronounced, means just that. The man often credited for Reiki as a practice also often gave instruction and healing free of charge.

Charity is a good thing. As healers, I think it's better to help those in need if there is a capacity to do so.
Old 19-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Enya

Work on a minimum donation basis. You can put any monies toward a charity and those who genuinely can't afford even your donation can offer something else in exchange. On other occasions, you'll give without direct exchange and the balance will return another way. Trust your instincts in this... you'll suss out the ones who don't respect the offer.
Old 19-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Ascender
Angelfire, don't forget that "giving something" for Reiki does NOT necessary mean money. I can be prayers, returned healing, food, or whatever (and yes, even cash). It does not have to be money.

I've always like the "Pass is forward" method too... if someone can't afford to pay, tell them to do something nice for the next stranger they meet.
Old 29-05-2012, 08:31 PM
coolchic101

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfire
hi everybody

i was wondering, because of the financial climate, if i should offer reiki for free.

i am level 2 tera-mai secheim attuned and wanted to offer reiki as a mobile service.

i know us reiki folk have to pay for attunements but i know people in need of healing that can benefit but wont have a treatment because of cost

i read somewhere if you receive reiki for nothing then nothing is what you receive.

not sure what to do.

love and light
angelfire
xxxx

My thoughts are that if I receive something for "free", I always pay the kindness forward and give back. I believe the word "free" is another word for "investment". When we are healing others, we are investing in improvement in their health without any guarantees of what that individual does with our efforts. If they take advantage of our complimentary healing sessions but they don't take care of themselves and/or they become greedy and want to take advantage of us, then our healing will not benefit them because they need to also be responsible for themselves. Another way to look at it would be when parents invest in their children's education. Some parents invest in their children's education and their children graduates from college, vocational training, university, etc so their children can go out into world and support themselves and gain their independence. However, some children take advantage of their parents investment and they stop going to school because they feel school is not for them and they still depend on their parents financially and they do not have the desire to motivate themselves to look for any job, help around the house, help themselves, etc then the parents investment will not do any good because the child does not have the desire to take up some responsibilities for themselves.
Old 30-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Reikichris

There are several aspects that come into play when one is deciding whether to charge or not – and it is important to the reiki practitioner to be aware of the consequences.

Firstly the giving for free – giving for the love of it, and giving because one can is most often the reason people start treating others. The idea of paying it forward is a good one, we receive much for free and pay it forward to others, and in many cases they too will pay it forward – this is the nature of a caring community. The personal involvement when giving free healing is one of love and compassion, at it is in this circumstance when healing is most effective.

If one decides to charge there is an automatic exclusion of those who cannot afford it – oh I know we can say that we will treat those who cannot afford it for free – but that makes us ‘means testers’, we become judgmental of people’s circumstances, and that is not a loving way to be. Additionally from the point of view of the recipient it is demeaning, having to ask for something that they cannot afford, and so many will not even ask – not even if there is a statement that those who cannot afford it get free treatments.

But there is a more serious consequence – and that is that if one charges one is obliged to deliver, intent becomes all and the healing becomes forced, if it fails then the ‘blame’ must be pointed elsewhere, for reputation is all, no one will pay for a ‘failure’ to treat them – the loving and compassionate side is pushed aside and only results matter, we stop caring about others and focus only on personal progression.

Some decide to treat certain conditions for free (for instance cancer) and charge for everything else – this is simply an attempt to assuage their own conscience, it is being done for the benefit of the healer not the recipient.
This is not to say that charging cannot work, just that it brings its own issues.
love
chris
Old 30-05-2012, 06:41 PM
coolchic101

Before I was attuned to reiki, I was going in person to a reiki practioner's home to receive regular treatments. When our financial situation changed, I could no longer afford $50 (which was her 1 hour going rate). I negotiated with her and asked for a $10 discount paying only $40, she hesitated but she agreed. She gave me reiki but when I felt her "vibe", it felt like she resented me for the lower price. I even noticed her behavior changed towards me, that she was less attentive and she became more arrogant. However, when I was paying her going rate, she was friendlier and outgoing and more attentive. I guess money changes people.
I stopped going to her for treatments because of the awkwardness and I eventually got attuned to reiki and started treating myself and others. I am not concerned about the money issue because the universe will give us what we deserve. The way I see it is by keeping a customer and receiving $40 regularly from them is 1 step closer to financial independance than losing a customer and making $0 from them.