Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Divination

Old 29-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Newbie ;)

Digital Vs Analog readings?

Over time I've begun to adapt digital versions of popular divination forms: i.e tarot and a yes no generator (literally a phone app version of magic-8 ball ). I like using these when I'm on the go or when I don't really have the energy or the time to get up, get my cards out or pendulum out, and do an analog reading.

I've found that the experiences are fundamentally different, and I like both for different reasons. I like the app versions because it eliminates any chance that I'll fudge a reading (for example, maybe I really want a 'yes' to a yes or no question, so I'll subconsciously swing the pendulum in that direction), or badly shuffle the cards (sometimes I'll get the same cards in an analog reading for different situations concerning different people, and I think it's because I'm not very good at shuffling). I approach digital versions of divination with the idea that the universe can still act through randomized and more impersonal generators to convey meaning. That being said, sometimes I have difficulty 'connecting' to whatever it is that I'm connecting to through a phone screen.

I like analog or more 'traditional' forms of reading when I really have the time to sit down, light candles, and breathe. Sometimes I can have a really good session with the cards, but to be honest, these sessions have been rare. It takes a lot of energy for me to do one good reading, energy I don't often have. Most of the time when I sit down with my physical deck of cards, I'll get a jumble that doesn't really make any sense. When it does go well, and I feel connected and I get a cohesive answer I feel incredibly fulfilled, but these sessions are few and far between.

I think that this is a conversation worth having as we move into a more digital age. What are the benefits and pitfalls of digitalization?

How about you? Have you ever experimented with digital versions of popular forms of divination? Were you successful? Do you prefer 'traditional' forms of divination? Why?
Old 29-01-2018, 05:08 PM
Master
My boyfriend is a computer programmer. We took photo's of my decks (actual cards) and he wrote a program to randomly shuffle the cards occasionally inverting some (30% at any given time would be inverted).
It's very useful for quick answers.
However the program is only about 70% correct with it's results vs the actual cards.

So in the end, I don't use the computer based deck for anything serious and never for clients. It's just not accurate enough, but it's fine for 'should I buy this thing on Amazon/Ebay?"
Old 29-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalSong
My boyfriend is a computer programmer. We took photo's of my decks (actual cards) and he wrote a program to randomly shuffle the cards occasionally inverting some (30% at any given time would be inverted).
However the program is only about 70% correct with it's results vs the actual cards.

So in the end, I don't use the computer based deck for anything serious and never for clients. It's just not accurate enough, but it's fine for 'should I buy this thing on Amazon/Ebay?"
That's actually what I've found to be the case, too. I tried doing deeper and more serious stuff using an app, but I got far better answers using physical cards. I mostly use apps as you mentioned, less serious things. And I definitely think it's good of you to use physical cards for clients. It's more of 'you' :)

I like the apps because they take up less energy (or relies on electrical energy? I'm not sure), but sometimes you need to use your own energy for those deep questions and soul development.
Old 29-01-2018, 10:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalSong

That is very interesting about how you relate your significant wrote a program around your deck of cards, that actually sounds really sweet.

I much prefer the actual deck of cards, as I do not use the card meanings themselves very much with my Tarot readings, I rather try to interpret with my own intuition. And I seriously try and stay clear away from anything generated. It just gives me a false, or fake feeling, and I am aware if I am feeling that, it is probably giving me enough doubt and anxiety- which I do not want in my reader/sitter readings, as those feelings do not help build confidence, and they alone would mess with my intuitiveness.

Generated Tarot and the like reminds me of those online do you have psychic abilities tests.

I tried one a few months back, the first question or test asked me to pick a card as an esp test. I picked a card with a plus sign. The screen after then said, you are correct! And showed the same picture of the card with a plus sign that I had picked. I stopped bothering with the test then and there, as I realized that very moment the test or the website must have been programmed to react in this way. I had the suspicion to continue would only produce the same accurate results.

I also will not use spirit box, or ghost apps on my tablet, or phone. Because it is programmed and as a program I feel much of programing for applications, tests, and divination tools, digitally this way, naturally works along with a probability factor, as well as a random generator. But I feel personally random doesn't necessarily equate to sincere.

I'd rather learn to better shuffle the cards.
Old 29-01-2018, 10:59 PM
Master
One of these days I'm going to have to look into a ghost box/spirit box....it sounds interesting!
Old 29-01-2018, 11:13 PM
Master
Spirit box and ghost app sessions can be interesting.

There was one experience I had with a language like ghost word program that I found very interesting, unfortunately I don't remember the name of that particular program but I really liked it more than most.

I have had out of this world evps on a simple phone recorder when ghost hunting in the woods with my brother. I mean they were scary evps, and we had some other experiences in the woods. But for a while there it had me very interested in an intellectual sense.

An evp stating "Kill, my first name" however curbed my enthusiasm for a while at least in this certain place.

But apologies, not so much a topic related post.

You had simply reminded me of old days.
Old 30-01-2018, 07:57 AM
Master
I think what matters is attitude and the intention. How you intend for things to happen, decides on your attitude and ultimately the outcome.
A reading with real deck of card, I believe is able to have more outcome and manifestation, but energy is energy, and as long as two people have had each other's attention , any outcome is an intended manifestation.
For digitization, it isn't bad, but like all things it is now one more option , a newer option in today's world. You cannot complain about it.
Old 30-01-2018, 08:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturninePluto
Spirit box and ghost app sessions can be interesting.
Ohh I have heard of those, always caught my interest. A friend works in a haunted place and works late night till early morning, she records these things on her phone through an app, like evp and its awesome !
Old 31-01-2018, 01:17 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelic star
Ohh I have heard of those, always caught my interest. A friend works in a haunted place and works late night till early morning, she records these things on her phone through an app, like evp and its awesome !
Does she have any app recommendations? I'd love to try it out sometime. (Unrelated but interesting!) As for intention, I think I agree. For me I choose digital most of the time now because it's convenient, and my questions aren't often super serious, soul searching questions. It's more like 'hey, is this person in _____?" or, "should I take this class, or this one?". I also do not read professionally, only for fun. So in my case, digital is fine.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:12 PM
Bambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbaby
.....I like analog or more 'traditional' forms of reading when I really have the time to sit down, light candles, and breathe
Yes ANALOGUE is much better and always has been...
I also prefer traditional ways in EVERYTHING just about...
The world was a beautiful place and then started going downhill slowly in the 70s..