Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 30-08-2011, 04:10 AM
A. Consumer

Question What do you think True Faith is?

What do you think true faith is. For me, it is encapsulated in the following quote:

"True faith is belief despite all evidence to the contrary." -The Prophet of Life.

Look at this quote and please tell me how it relates to your views on faith.
Old 30-08-2011, 04:33 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Consumer
What do you think true faith is. For me, it is encapsulated in the following quote:

"True faith is belief despite all evidence to the contrary." -The Prophet of Life.

I suppose some would ask faith in what...but for me I beleive in Spirit/God. I have experienced things that have no evidence because it is of the other side, the unseen, and for me well that works because my spirit understands it and works with it, I need no proof for something I already experience and know.

nightowl
Old 30-08-2011, 05:23 AM
TeeHee

Quote:

In regards to that quote, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. That quote sounds more like an atheist's argument.
Old 30-08-2011, 06:26 AM
arive nan

Evidence to the contrary suggests that there is existent evidence that something is not true. It is not simply a lack of evidence for something. Sometimes there is actual evidence that something is not true, but some people believe it anyway. I would not call that true faith. I mean, why call it true faith when what they have faith in is not true and there is solid evidence that it is not true? It's not really an atheist argument, since there is no solid evidence for or against God's existence.

Faith is believing in something that we cannot know to be true through solid evidence. So there is no true faith in the sense of having faith in something that is true, because faith is believing in something that we cannot know for certain to be true. Faith can be very strong. A very faithful person might feel very certain. But that doesn't mean that what they believe in is actually true.

When there is solid evidence that something is true, believing it is true does not require faith. When there is solid evidence that something is true, this can be called knowledge. Whereas believing that it is not true in spite of the evidence could be called willful ignorance.
Old 30-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Master
True Faith for me is the total belief in something; a deep feeling/knowing that it's true. Even if there is evidence to the contrary, you just believe it anyways.

zipzip
Old 30-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Master
to have faith one needs faith in one's self in order to believe one is believing a truth. for this reason i am faithless.
Old 30-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Animus27

Quote:

Doesn't work for me. I think it's the opposite of faith. Faith is not blind, helpless or ignorant. Faith is a dynamic relationship between the divine & individual. It's the inner knowledge that there's something more than what you* can sense or know with all certainty. If you have blind faith, you have no real faith. It's easy to believe in something because you're afraid of the alternative, quite another to believe because you have reason to.

But then again, I tend to make up my own definitions for words. Heh heh.

*General 'you', not addressing YOU in particular.
Old 30-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
Doesn't work for me. I think it's the opposite of faith. Faith is not blind, helpless or ignorant. Faith is a dynamic relationship between the divine & individual. It's the inner knowledge that there's something more than what you* can sense or know with all certainty. If you have blind faith, you have no real faith. It's easy to believe in something because you're afraid of the alternative, quite another to believe because you have reason to.

But then again, I tend to make up my own definitions for words. Heh heh.

*General 'you', not addressing YOU in particular.

i can know with all certainty that there is "something" greater than my little self but to believe i can discern what that "something" Is is a whole nother story because i also know with all certainty that i can self deceptive.
Old 30-08-2011, 03:13 PM
mattie

Who Is This 'Prophet Of Life'???????

It might be useful to define what is a ‘true faith’ as opposed to an untrue faith. & who determines if it is a ‘true faith’ or what criteria (whose criteria) are used to make this determination? Fervor of the believer?????

We can believe whatever we want. This varies from person to person.

Is this the ‘Prophet of Life’ that you refer to? If not, what ‘Prophet’ does this refer to?
http://www.prophetoflife.com/

This ‘Prophet’ seems to not reveal their real identity on the site only that the gender is male. Is a name known for this ‘Prophet?
Old 30-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Master
i wish i could believe whatever i wanted. somehow it doesn't work for me. it seems my self honesty gets in the way of faith.