Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 12-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Valerian

Yes, Gem, most people are distracted and unaware. I feel that given the interconnectness of us all, that our own being undistracted and aware helps the whole of humanity.

I've recently had trouble with new neighbours who are atheists and live their lives as the only one they will ever have. They have no concept of anyone else's needs or rights and go around obliviously upsetting people. As anger arose with me, I asked one of my Spirit Guides why they had moved in next to me and not someone who was on my own 'wavelength'. The response was that they had not been placed there to be a thorn in my side, but to benefit from being close to me. Hmmm another way of looking at the same situation!
Old 12-06-2017, 03:08 PM
Administrator
There is only one way to live and that is in the Now,you cant live in the past and you cant live in the future, so you have to live in the Now

Namaste
Old 12-06-2017, 11:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerian
Yes, Gem, most people are distracted and unaware. I feel that given the interconnectness of us all, that our own being undistracted and aware helps the whole of humanity.

Of course, if we're better able to have equanimity of mind, we're less likely to lose the plot and act in harmful ways.

Quote:
I've recently had trouble with new neighbours who are atheists and live their lives as the only one they will ever have. They have no concept of anyone else's needs or rights and go around obliviously upsetting people

As anger arose with me, I asked one of my Spirit Guides why they had moved in next to me and not someone who was on my own 'wavelength'. The response was that they had not been placed there to be a thorn in my side, but to benefit from being close to me. Hmmm another way of looking at the same situation!

They'll probably return the favour.
Old 15-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerian
Echoing these words. So, so very true and beautifully expressed.
Hey Valerian, thanks for that! Compliments always welcome. Heh, I had to re-read what I wrote. A couple weeks later and I have figure out what I was actually trying to say... Is that a bad sign?! (j/k)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit
The beauty of hereness or The Now as some famously call it, is that it is impossible not to be in the now if the now is the only reality. Thinking or having feelings about the past or future happen in the now. There is nowhere else for those thoughts or feelings to arise. So spiritual paths and/or practises striving to be in the now as opposed to somewhere else:) are misleading. What a relief that is! Imagine having to work out whether you are in the now or not while you are falling over a cliff or enjoying your breakfast:)

While I do agree with what you've written, I happen to paraphrase the "now" concept and call it the "eternal now consciousness" -- you see the subtle difference here? Instead of calling it the now, which is a beginingless constant, I call it a state of "consciousness" where you are aware of the present moment. Now the problem lays in the fact that if you have a goal for being in the 'now' and place a gap between the 'now' and the future where you receive the fruit of the now it is no longer the now... so it's a tricky concept... the key is not so much being concerned whether or not you are in the 'now', since, as you've already put, we are helplessly there, but rather being open to the idea of when you dismantle yourself from Time itself and settle spontaneously in the Eternal Now. It's a form of understanding where you see time as an illusion and you cannot help but embrace the Now for it is all there truly is.
Namaskar.
Old 14-07-2017, 01:25 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnostic
While I do agree with what you've written, I happen to paraphrase the "now" concept and call it the "eternal now consciousness" -- you see the subtle difference here? Instead of calling it the now, which is a beginingless constant, I call it a state of "consciousness" where you are aware of the present moment. Now the problem lays in the fact that if you have a goal for being in the 'now' and place a gap between the 'now' and the future where you receive the fruit of the now it is no longer the now... so it's a tricky concept... the key is not so much being concerned whether or not you are in the 'now', since, as you've already put, we are helplessly there, but rather being open to the idea of when you dismantle yourself from Time itself and settle spontaneously in the Eternal Now. It's a form of understanding where you see time as an illusion and you cannot help but embrace the Now for it is all there truly is.
Namaskar.

As long as the now is all there is, the despair of having to work out whether you are in it or not disappears. Resonating with a concept that totally trancends is a desirable happenchance dont you think? Otherwise there is always something to sort out/achieve before the feeling of disconnection can end.
Old 14-07-2017, 01:32 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm not one to pretend everything could be other than it is, and the way things are is, people are distracted and unaware.

Yes but they are not somehow outside of the now when they are distracted and unaware. So there is no elitest position of being in the now while others are not.
Old 14-07-2017, 01:34 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
how would one know?

Because to be in the now is all that is available to us.
Old 14-07-2017, 06:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit
As long as the now is all there is, the despair of having to work out whether you are in it or not disappears. Resonating with a concept that totally trancends is a desirable happenchance dont you think? Otherwise there is always something to sort out/achieve before the feeling of disconnection can end.
The issue is not if you are physically in the now. The issue is that your metal focus and general awareness can be in/towards the 'past' or 'future'. Obviously this is not a very functional situation in terms of making the best choices (in the now).
Old 14-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
The issue is not if you are physically in the now. The issue is that your metal focus and general awareness can be in/towards the 'past' or 'future'. Obviously this is not a very functional situation in terms of making the best choices (in the now).

Being in the now does not just apply to the body but also the mind, every aspect of being in fact. So both awareness and mental focus occur in the now no matter what the content of that awareness and mental focus may be.