Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 16-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Ascender

The Brain

Is it all we really are? And upon its cessation so must we end as well.

Im open to consciousness outside the body but new research on the news today was on about new ways of tackling mental disorder that seemed very firmly in the camp of the brain producing consciousness

Id love to believe in an eternal us but the brain seems to be the elephant in the room. Its so central to our existence that how could we possibly exist without one??
Old 17-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Master
The Brain Is A Quantum Computer(Hardware)

The Mind Is Unconscious/Conscious(Software)

Check Out The Following BBC Programmes About The Brain

Episode 1 - What Is Reality?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...hat-is-reality

Episode 2 - What Makes Me?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...-what-makes-me

Episode 3 - Who Is in Control?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...-is-in-control

In The 3rd Episode, When You've Achieved A Skill The Brain Activity Hardly Registers

https://www.facebook.com/Sean Baker
https://twitter.com/Sean Baker
[/color]
Old 18-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal68

Im open to consciousness outside the body but new research on the news today was on about new ways of tackling mental disorder that seemed very firmly in the camp of the brain producing consciousness

Id love to believe in an eternal us but the brain seems to be the elephant in the room. Its so central to our existence that how could we possibly exist without one??
Hunt down the wonderful videos that Serenity69 wisely pointed-to (it seems the links that are provided are limited to viewing only in the UK). They are well worth the effort!

The confusion you experience is understandable. We are all floating along in the same boat. Our physical minds are the processors of this earthly experience. The brain is designed to help coordinate the core-info that emerges from our senses in order to align with the activities that surrounds our physical body.

Our brain is also designed to "imagine".

We can mentally play-out potential experiences, before they occur, in order to rehearse potential outcomes and adjust-such to our needs. In the hunter/gatherer days (which is the experience where these abilities evolved from) such things were handy when coordinating a hunt, or when planning how best to protect ourselves and our children.

Our brains are not universally focused. They are not designed for anything other than for processing our experience from birth until death.

Consciousness on the other hand is who we are in terms of "self-awareness" as a continuum-of-being. We are awake on account of consciousness, consciousness is our being-of-presence.

When we were born our "consciousness" was bound to our body and brain in such a way that the Brain assumes priority. How we experience this physical existence is being channeled, by necessity, through the brain. Because our bodies are vulnerable and need to navigate this environment, it's then best that we experience this life in this way.

The problem emerges when we attempt to take-on perspectives and subjects that are outside of this physical experience. Our brains haven't a clue as to what's happening "out there", since our brains are only designed to process what the senses are telling it, and our imagination had-been/is-now coordinated in regards to this input.

Regardless of what you think-a-thought about, that would be your brain doing the thinking. Going beyond this would require special talents that are more focused on our occurrence-of-being, as apposed to our physical engagements.

Duality is the way-of-it in this regard. We are Both the "I" that is universal, and the "me" that is now physical. Our "I" is being channeled trough our current experience of "me". Many seem to think that we're suppose to choose one over the other, a silliness which only results in unnecessary conflict.
Old 19-02-2016, 03:52 AM
Knower

The brain is the gateway into the human experience. As advanced as science is the research is far from complete. A couple of years back I took a course with a professor from the UC Berkeley Neurology department. He was very clear that research was just getting interesting in terms of what there is to know about the brain.

An interesting book that make spark your interest is "Irreducible Mind". It took 10 years to write by the chairs of the University of Virginia psych department chairs. It chronicles a wide range of real spiritual phenomena that cannot be easily assigned to brain function. Those who work for the AMA are all physicalists. They cannot attain their degrees without subscribing to the physicalist perspective. And they have theories that model how the brain generates what is a spiritual experience. They are not permitted to have the actual experience however since this constitutes schizophrenia and that is a condition for dismissal from the practice. So we have seriously inexperienced intellects focusing on solving the mind / body problem from a physicalist perspective. I can assure you from my own well earned experience spirit is very real. I have experienced directly a wide range of spiritual effects from contact (voices) to poltergeist (noisy beings).
Old 20-02-2016, 06:26 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthJunkie
An interesting book that make spark your interest is "Irreducible Mind".
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm just starting to read this rather sizable book. I'm really enjoying where our sciences are heading!
Old 18-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Book1

1}There exist 31 bilateral( left and right ) spinal nerves
...1a}there exist 31 primary great circles as derived from the 5-fold icosahedron.....

2}There exist 12 or 24 cranial nerves that stem from the mid-brain area.
......2a} there exist vertexed/nodes the compose both the 5-fold icosahedron and the 4-fold cubo-octahedron aka the vector equlibrium{ VE }

..2c} there exists 24 chords and 24 radii that compose the VE/cubo-octahedron

...2d} there exist 24 ribs that also stem from spinal chord{?} and enclose bilateral lungs and quadra-chambered heart.

...2e} there exist 4 primary centrally common axi in following primary set of only three regular/symmetcial and triangually stable and set of polyhedra;
...3-fold tetra{4}hedron,
.....4-fold octa{8}hedron{ also cubo{6}-octa{8}hedron },
.......5-fold 5 sets of 4 axi common to those above found in 5-fold icosa{20}hedron.

r6

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 19-03-2016, 05:12 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6r6r

...2e} there exist 4 primary centrally common axi in following primary set of only three regular/symmetcial and triangually stable and set of polyhedra;
...3-fold tetra{4}hedron,
.....4-fold octa{8}hedron{ also cubo{6}-octa{8}hedron },
.......5-fold 5 sets of 4 axi common to those above found in 5-fold icosa{20}hedron.

r6

And there exists one consciousness,
that is the "me"
that is the "I"

the brain is an intricate network
designed to monitor and address our bodies needs
designed to channel our thoughts
designed to mold dreams
of both the wakeful and sleeping adventures

the brain is a network of cooperation
it's a light show in the fMRI
a splash of flashing and cascading undulation of colors
a right brain, left brain, specificity of purpose
there are the parts, and there is the being
the one springs from the other in a continuous moment of repose

Without waking consciousness the brain may still be there
doing what it's doing
only no one would be there to watch it...
Old 19-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Master

Quote:

Maybe you could give us a link. It would interest me. Thanks
Old 20-03-2016, 03:32 PM
Experiencer

Quote:

I hardly think any existing science, group or person is so scientifically advanced that consciousness can actually be studied at this time. Maybe when we discover what that 98 percent "nothingness" in an atom is, then maybe we'll truly be waking up in intelligence as to what "makes us tick". Until then, the brain can only be studied by the conventional scientific method...that which we can observe.

For science to search for and study consciousness? To me it's almost as silly as saying "Let's see if we can detect any little red hearts dancing around your head so we can determine whether or not you're in love.".
Old 20-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARDAV70
For science to search for and study consciousness? To me it's almost as silly as saying "Let's see if we can detect any little red hearts dancing around your head so we can determine whether or not you're in love.".
I love the imagery! That and the circling stars when someone gets bopped in the head. :)

I was reading here recently where some well regarded researcher in the 1960's suggested that the term consciousness was so overused that it should be stricken from the research vocabulary. And essentially it was. It wasn't until around the late 1980's that the study of "consciousness" specifically came back into vogue and has been running like gangbusters since. The turning point hovered around the acceptability of using anecdotal evidence as being recognizable and recordably viable in research situations. It seems the fMRI helped a great deal in this regard as well. A person can be experiencing something and the aligning mental activity may be observable on a monitor so there's still a tabulateable record of what's being observed that isn't fully dependent on an individuals conscious perception of an event.

There are other indications that science is bending toward the study of consciousness in a fairly broad and diverse way. I was watching a panel of serious scientists on youtube not long ago discussing the subject of investigating consciousness. One had been having out of body experiences and was directing his research accordingly. He was doing so using the scientific method of test and evaluate. The other folks on the panel were totally fine with that, and these others were of the classic more starchy branch of science. Shamans are being brought in and studied, long time mediators are being included in the mix, the hunger to understand what "consciousness" is all about is driving the research community into all sorts of novel directions.

So stay tuned. Things are moving in that regard. I don't suppose we'll ever be seeing hearts circling ones head as an indication of ones love for another but we may be seeing similar among things like Polycontrast Interference Photography. Science is moving steadily toward investigating the energy signatures that we're continually emitting as the next layer of what's yet to be discovered. I suspect, along the way, that they'll be finding the equivalent of hearts and stars in there somewhere. :)