Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 09-10-2010, 07:20 PM
bilko

Anyone know the recipe for aztec hot chocolate?

I've looked on google but i can't find it or one that looks genuine. I'm not talking about sugar laden, tastes good chocolate but the real recipe for the stuff the aztecs used to drink. I think they used cocoa beans and chilli with water but i'm sure there are some other spices they used.
I've read that it would give you a real lift, i don't know what else but it was a spiritual drink.
Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Master
I found this googling, but I don't know, whatdyathink?

1631 - In 1631, the first recipe for a chocolate drink was published in Spain by Antonio Colmenero de Ledesma, an Andalusian physician, in his book, Curioso tratado de la naturaleza y calidad del chocolate (A Curious Treatise of the Nature and Quality of Chocolate). This was the first work to deal exclusively with chocolate and cacao. Don Antonio is said to have lived for some time in the West Indies. Since he was a doctor, he pays a great deal of attention to the dietary aspects of chocolate and was concerned with the psychological as well as the physical effects of the drink. He says, "Chocolate is healthy. It makes the drinker 'Fat, and Corpulent, faire and Aimiable'. It was an aphrodisiac. In women it caused fertility but eased delivery, etc., etc." </STRONG>The ingredients in the recipe were:
"Take one hundred cocoa beans, two chillies, a handful of anise seed and two of vanilla (two pulverized Alexandria roses can be substituted), two drams of cinnamon, one dozen almonds and the same amount of hazelnuts, half a pound of white sugar and enough annatto to give some color. And there you have the king of chocolates."
Old 09-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Deactivated Account

That is quite a recipe Silvergirl !

Just wondering, couldn't one just add a little cayenne powder to their hot chocolate ?

Anyone see the movie " Chocolat " ? I think that is what she added to her hot chocolate to make it special. I think there must have been some special magic to the drink, as she had Johnny Depp falling in love with her after his first sip of this magical drink !

Dream Angel xx

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 09-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Master
Ah yes, johnny. didn't see that movie, but he's a favorite, heh.
I was trying to find a recipe like what bilko was describing, with a little more in the way of spices...something 'authentic'...
Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Deactivated Account

well your recipe definitely sounds authentic, I would say..

here is a shorter version I just came across

Mexican Hot Chocolate

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons instant hot chocolate mix
  • 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch chili powder
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup boiling water
Directions
  1. In a large mug, mix the hot chocolate mix, chocolate syrup, cinnamon, and chili powder. Pour in the milk. Add the boiling water and stir.

Expect Miracles !

Old 10-10-2010, 12:42 AM
bilko

Silvergirl and dream Angel, Thank you so much for your research. It was that film that peaked my interest although i haven't got as far as Johnny appearing in it yet.
I can see the use of aniseed tying together some of those ingredients together. The nuts making an excellent substitute for milk.

It occurred to me that the cacao bean might need activating or enhancing in some way which is where the cinnamon comes in. Cinnamon used to be worth more than its weight in gold. Maybe providing a gentle stairway to the bliss like sensation supposedly achieved.

Dream Angel, yes i think cayenne would also be better than the chilies. Cayenne gives me an immediate lift or should i say helping hand. Whenever i have it ( not in capsule form which is important as it needs to start in the mouth so as not to shock the stomach ); i can feel a tug on my emotions. Not to mention the numerous other benefits - http://www.earthclinic.com/remedies.html#c.

Can't fathom the inclusion of half a pound of white sugar though as we know that refined sugar is one of the worst things you can eat.

There will be a genuine recipe out there somewhere in some manuscript, i hope someone finds it one day.
Incidentally, David Wolfe said the cacao bean had the same vibration as the sun.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Master
This is better than Aztec cocoa. For the first time ever in human history I'm going to share with you my own special recipee, a concoction I brew just for myself when I need a pick me up:

steep a teabag of peppermint tea in boiling water
add teaspoons cocoa (as many as you need)
pinch of cayenne
sugar to taste (if you need it at all)
milk can be added if you wish

great on a cold autumn or winter's night

Cheers!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Master
Your recipe sounds mighty nice, Uma. And very easy to make.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:38 AM
Deactivated Account

hi bilko,

Thank you for asking the original question. Looks like there are several delicious recipes here !

Interesting you should mention aniseed , I always thought that had a licorice flavoring, or am I mixing this up with something else ?

Cinnamon is supposed to have some health benefits, not exactly sure what.
" Maybe providing a gentle stairway to the bliss like sensation supposedly achieved." sounds interesting !

Thanks for the link on the cayenne.
I will have to check that out.

Dream Angel xx

Expect Miracles !

Old 10-10-2010, 02:39 AM
Deactivated Account

hi Uma, your recipe sounds delicious ! Thanks for sharing !

Dream Angel xx

Expect Miracles !