Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 25-02-2011, 02:06 AM
kimmery

Do you think it's stupid to become a herbalist?

I told my mom I wanted to become a herbalist and she said it was a joke

-.-

Old 25-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Master
Do you think it's stupid to become an herbalist?

It's not your mum's life, it's yours.
Old 25-02-2011, 02:22 AM
Master
Parents can be so stupid some times, i told my mom and dad that i wanted to be a doctor when I was about 15 years old and they laughed, so what did I do ?, I just stopped learning anything at school and became useless academically. But I did become a natural therapist later in life, so you make sure you do exactly what YOU want to do.
Old 25-02-2011, 02:42 AM
kimmery

Well.... She said "Why don't you learn a real subject like human biology, pharmacy or chemistry at a proper college or university. At least then you can get a job when you realise you're not cut out for conning members of the public who are ill and looking for treatment.

They're just going to take your money in exchange for a bit of paper that employees will only laugh at"

She just makes everything worse. I was thinking maybe I should forget about it. I don't know what I want to do know... I wanted to be a holistic doctor before, but then I had a TBI. So theres no use in even trying that...
Old 25-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Master

That little voice in your head causes nothing but trouble! Listen to your heart and intuition for awhile instead and see if things go better.
Old 25-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Ascender

Don't be discouraged by what others say. Seriously, pursue your passions and forget the scoffers.
Old 25-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Racer X

We once thought it was a joke too......

Then modern medicine kept showing us its incompetence.....

It was reflecting our own ignorance .......

We turned to herbs which were used throughout time......

We began to heal!

We no longer think it is a joke~

Become an herbalist and show mother, the True Mother......... Earth!~

Old 25-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Uhmar

Follow your heart.
You must make what your life will be not your mothers. She is living hers...while you must find what yours will be.

Kimmery I see you are 18 years old. When you were about 7 to 10.. what made you jump and and down with excitement in anticipation of doing?
was it going into a garden, was it going into the woods and forests? was it playing with a chemistry set? Was it reading a new book on parts of the body etc.

Try to remember what makes your heart soar with excitement then and now. That is probably what you should think of choosing for a career. Then 20 years from now you won't wish you had done something else .
Old 25-02-2011, 08:01 PM
iolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmery
Well.... She said "Why don't you learn a real subject like human biology, pharmacy or chemistry at a proper college or university. At least then you can get a job when you realise you're not cut out for conning members of the public who are ill and looking for treatment.

They're just going to take your money in exchange for a bit of paper that employees will only laugh at"

She just makes everything worse. I was thinking maybe I should forget about it. I don't know what I want to do know... I wanted to be a holistic doctor before, but then I had a TBI. So theres no use in even trying that...

Kimmery...

Tell your mother that many, many medicines today were based on herbal medicine. Digitalis is derived from foxglove, for instance. Willow bark contains
salicylic acid and was used as far back as 460 AD for pain. We now know salicylic acid as aspirin. The rain forests in South America are being touted as a natural pharmacy. Plants native there have been discovered to contain properties useful for medicine.

In fact, there are "proper universities" that teach herbalism. I think it's an excellent idea to be a holistic doctor. We need more of those. It would satisfy your mom, cause you'd also get a formal medical education.

Your mom, from her limited view, is only trying to guide you and protect you. Keep researching the field and universities. It will help you figure out what you need education wise and where to go for studies and show your mom that it is a valid field and career path.

BTW... my doctor is a DO (doctor of ostopathy) but he is an alternative as well. He is an MD but he knows about herbs and alternative treatments.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:06 PM
autumn

You should follow your heart. There are so many people who pick careers to make their parents happy. But, they figure out they aren't happy and end up going back to school later. You are the one that has to do the job you pick, not your mom.

You could always look at this the other way around. If you are an herbalist and can't make any money, then you can go back to school to do what your mom wants. Life is always changeable. I wish I would have followed my passion when I was young. I didn't and now I'm going back to school (to be a herbalist).

The only thing I would say with herbalism, is that you need to pick a school that gives you experience in seeing actual patients and diagnosing them.