Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 21-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Master
Follow Buddhism with Christian Beliefs?

Can one follow Buddhism and still have Christian beliefs (background/upbringing)? I embrace Buddhist teachings, but I don't necessarily reject everything that I learned in my Catholic upbringing when I was a child. Call me confused; call me eclectic with my beliefs. I just don't reject either one. I have a Catholic bible in my home, but I also have Buddhist statues on my living room table and in my garden and study the Buddhist teachings. I no longer attend Catholic mass, but meditate daily and try to live in a zen-like fashion and follow the Noble Truths. I just wanted to know if others feel they had to reject one religion to accept another?

Blackraven
Old 21-03-2011, 01:53 AM
Master
I think because Buddhism doesn't really have a god (?) there's nothing to object to believing other religions too, idk. I saw it on the Simpsons, the one where Lisa becomes Buddhist and she meets Richard Gere meditating at a temple.

Old 21-03-2011, 01:56 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
Can one follow Buddhism and still have Christian beliefs (background/upbringing)? I embrace Buddhist teachings, but I don't necessarily reject everything that I learned in my Catholic upbringing when I was a child. Call me confused; call me eclectic with my beliefs. I just don't reject either one. I have a Catholic bible in my home, but I also have Buddhist statues on my living room table and in my garden and study the Buddhist teachings. I no longer attend Catholic mass, but meditate daily and try to live in a zen-like fashion and follow the Noble Truths. I just wanted to know if others feel they had to reject one religion to accept another?

Blackraven

Blackraven,

If the beliefs of both speak to your spirit and you connect with them and they work together for you than that is what really matters. I combine some what would call pagan beliefs with some Christian flavor added in, coated in folk Celtic beliefs, it works for me. I love the personal blend I have created, so much freedom and peace. Go for it...
Old 21-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Shim

How Does a Christian Converse With A Buddhist?
Old 21-03-2011, 02:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
I think because Buddhism doesn't really have a god (?) there's nothing to object to believing other religions too, idk. I saw it on the Simpsons, the one where Lisa becomes Buddhist and she meets Richard Gere meditating at a temple.

Silvergirl - ha ha, that's funny!

Blackraven
Old 21-03-2011, 02:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
Blackraven,

If the beliefs of both speak to your spirit and you connect with them and they work together for you than that is what really matters. I combine some what would call pagan beliefs with some Christian flavor added in, coated in folk Celtic beliefs, it works for me. I love the personal blend I have created, so much freedom and peace. Go for it...

nightowl - I believe, I know that that is just what I needed to hear. That works for me. And it makes perfect sense. Thank you once again for your inspirational words.

Blackraven
Old 21-03-2011, 02:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim

Shim - Thank you for that link. I found it to be most helpful!

Blackraven
Old 21-03-2011, 02:11 AM
nightowl

Quote:
nightowl - I believe, I know that that is just what I needed to hear. That works for me. And it makes perfect sense. Thank you once again for your inspirational words.

Blackraven

you bet, my pleasure...
Old 21-03-2011, 03:40 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
The ultimate in Christian belief is God. Buddhism goes beyond that to what can be called the 'Godhead'.
Christianity and Buddhism are compatible up to a point, after which Buddhism leaves everything behind.
The article Shim refers to is not quite accurate in one respect:
Quote:
But Buddhism’s attraction provides no real answers. The self-- which is undeniable and inescapable-- is lost in Buddhist philosophy, which brushes away the hungers of the soul. Everything is in our care. All losses are ours. There is no “other” to whom we can go, not even a self to whom we can speak. Yet Buddhism’s denial of a personal God is unable to prevent its practitioners seeking to relate to and worship a personal being. There is a universal hunger that drives the self to a transcendent personal other of one’s making.

First, there are Buddhist practitioners, Theravada, who do not relate to a personal God, but even if they do as in Mahayana or Vajrayana, there is an understanding that the deities and gods imagined and prayed to do not really exist. They are temporary and useful concepts to facilitate practice and teaching, but unlike the Christian God and soul, have no permanence. Therein lies all the difference between Christianity and Buddhism.
Old 21-03-2011, 03:59 AM
tragblack

Quote:
Can one follow Buddhism and still have Christian beliefs (background/upbringing)?

I've seen it happen.

Quote:
I just wanted to know if others feel they had to reject one religion to accept another?

A lot of people feel this subconsciously, even after deciding that they don't. I get caught up in it sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
I think because Buddhism doesn't really have a god (?)...

They don't reject the idea of a God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn
...there are Buddhist practitioners, Theravada, who do not relate to a personal God, but even if they do as in Mahayana or Vajrayana, there is an understanding that the deities and gods imagined and prayed to do not really exist.

This is not true for every Buddhist. Many believe that the energies behind the deities exist, but it is not the statues themselves.