Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 29-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Knower

Understanding the mind or manas

The subtle body or the inner instrument contains four faculties or Antahkaranas:

Manas - The thinking or fluctuating faculty; also known as the mind

Buddhi - Intelligence or the decision-making faculty

Ahankara - The ego that maintains the concept of the ‘self’

Chittam - The storage faculty

You must know the nature of intelligence as well as the nature of the mind in order to control the mind or manas.

Although intelligence is a higher faculty, it cannot control the mind simply by passing on orders in the form of decisions. The mind yields to the decision of intelligence immediately but gradually, the mind proposes alternatives (Vikalpa) and controls the faculty of intelligence by diverting it towards an alternative way.

The mind is like the tactful wife, who yields to the decision of her husband on the spot, but in course of time gradually diverts him to follow her will, through sweet proposals. To control this tactful mind, you must learn the same talent of the mind.

For example, Krishna transformed Satyabhama gradually by not behaving like her husband but by behaving like a wife to her. You can cut a diamond only with another diamond and you can remove a thorn only with another thorn.

To teach this spiritual concept of intelligence and the mind, God created man and woman with such different natures. Generally speaking, men represent intelligence while women represent the mind. However, the opposite can also be true as is seen in many cases.
Old 30-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Master
The mind is like a spoiled brat of a child, letting you know how much you're ignoring it when you go into meditation.

However, I am posting to say that I enjoyed reading your summation and also because if I do not say something, nobody else will.

Dead forum is dead. =(
Old 30-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Knower

Thank you for the kind words! :)