Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 13-10-2015, 01:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
I would start meditating, and at some point if I'd feel like stopping, I'd stop. Your body would know when it has had enough. There's no point in forcing the body to reach a time limit, that would be counterproductive and definitely most unenjoyable & unrelaxing, me thinks.

This above works on the pleasure principle. "As long as it's enjoyable". In reality though, the body experiences stiffness, tension aches and other discomforts, as well as more 'sought after' sensations/experiences. Meditation practice is regardless of the body sensation. If it's pleasurable then enjoy it while it lasts. If it's uncomfortable endure it until it passes. The trick to it is remaining calm and still minded regardless of the passing pleasures and discomforts of one's experiences. OP is fine as 30 mins is suitable to life routine.
Old 13-10-2015, 02:33 AM
Nettles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles
It isn't about the length of the meditation, it's about the quality of it. Some folks can accomplish much in only ten minutes, with enough practice, a few focused breaths can achieve a meditative state.

I think I'd like to add that it's different for everyone and ones method can change as well as they gain experience.
I think that's why it's called "practicing" meditation, it's prone to flux, as is ones view of their chosen path. Generally a "fully examined life" employs the practice of applying the things we know and experience all throughout our lives.
Either way, you get what you give...whatever you put into it, you will get out of it, despite the "real world" seeming at times like a lifetime of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. There is a place beneath the surface and a part of the 'tapestry' where you actually DO get what you give, you know what i'm talkin' about.
I personally like to mix it up with meditation. I have found varied methods that work really well and match the meditation to my mood. Some days I'm more in the mood for the very quiet, very still...some days it's transcendental and still other days it's one of my moving meditations.
I'm sure there are some folks who find a way that works and just stick with it and don't change it up much and I am not diminishing that as a method. I think I have to mix it up because I like variety. One person doing things one way and one doing things the other is tantamount to one person picking out a blue shirt and one picking out a red one.
Of late I have found it useful to make certain breathing is given attention. In the mundane of daily routine it is easy to forget to breathe properly, I notice it in my own breathing when I am at work, I often take smaller shallow breaths not giving enough to my lungs. I'm not sure if anyone else forgets that from time to time, but just in case, heads up! LoL BREATHE!!!

"Your vibe attracts your tribe." -Nisha Moodley

Old 13-10-2015, 03:49 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
This above works on the pleasure principle. "As long as it's enjoyable". In reality though, the body experiences stiffness, tension aches and other discomforts, as well as more 'sought after' sensations/experiences. Meditation practice is regardless of the body sensation. If it's pleasurable then enjoy it while it lasts. If it's uncomfortable endure it until it passes. The trick to it is remaining calm and still minded regardless of the passing pleasures and discomforts of one's experiences. OP is fine as 30 mins is suitable to life routine.

Depends on what sort of meditation you follow. I follow my own. Why? Because my body knows what sort of meditation fits it. As individuals are unique, is also its requirements. And that is my own understanding of it. You have your own understanding of it and I'm sure the OP will do it just the way the OP wants to do. It's more on sharing our experiences. You only pick the ones that work for you and discard the rest, is all. And I do different kinds of meditation, depends on whats needed at the time. Which probably one or two may not be considered as meditation by others. But hey, I do. And they absolutely work for me.
Old 13-10-2015, 06:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Depends on what sort of meditation you follow. I follow my own. Why? Because my body knows what sort of meditation fits it. As individuals are unique, is also its requirements. And that is my own understanding of it. You have your own understanding of it and I'm sure the OP will do it just the way the OP wants to do. It's more on sharing our experiences. You only pick the ones that work for you and discard the rest, is all. And I do different kinds of meditation, depends on whats needed at the time. Which probably one or two may not be considered as meditation by others. But hey, I do. And they absolutely work for me.

I'm the guy who supports the OP with what he wants to do. OP said 1/2 hour in the morning and I'm, sounds good, just do that. It's others besides myself who say the OP should do it less, it's the quality that counts, the body knows and so on. I'm basically saying to the OP, do the 1/2 hour as he says.
Old 13-10-2015, 07:47 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceField

This sounds like simply giving into the ego's unskillful desires, which is the exact opposite of the goal of meditation practice (according to Buddhism). Making a habit of retreating when the going gets tough is a surefire way to develop harmful qualities of mind.

Really?! Honestly?! This sounds like a judgemental EGO saying my way is the best and only way.

Am trying to give OP options that according to my experience work for me. Others can help the OP by also giving their experiences. And no need to shoot my opinion down, that just reflects on you.

Is there a rule to say we only follow the buddhist way. I'm not a buddhist. So I ain't following the buddhism way.
Old 13-10-2015, 07:51 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm the guy who supports the OP with what he wants to do. OP said 1/2 hour in the morning and I'm, sounds good, just do that. It's others besides myself who say the OP should do it less, it's the quality that counts, the body knows and so on. I'm basically saying to the OP, do the 1/2 hour as he says.

Why are we even talking to each other about this?! Let us not.

OP needs all the answers so that OP has more options to choose from.
Old 13-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Why are we even talking to each other about this?! Let us not.

OP needs all the answers so that OP has more options to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
I want to start meditating daily. I wake up at 6. I'm thinking that from 6- 6:30 I will meditate and then give myself 6:30 to 7:00 to get ready! How does this sound?

It sounds awesome!
Old 13-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Really?! Honestly?! This sounds like a judgemental EGO saying my way is the best and only way.

Am trying to give OP options that according to my experience work for me. Others can help the OP by also giving their experiences. And no need to shoot my opinion down, that just reflects on you.

Is there a rule to say we only follow the buddhist way. I'm not a buddhist. So I ain't following the buddhism way.

If you can present a valid argument against the idea I presented that you object to, I will be glad to listen. What I've said is simply the nature of the mind, which is to adopt habits as we develop patterns in our behavior, and unfortunately many of these patterns are not in our best interest. If you believe that running away when situations get tough is the best option, then I hope that works out for you, although anyone with a bit of life experience understands that it is far more beneficial to develop the ability to withstand the mind's weaknesses and overcome obstacles as they arise in our mind and in our lives.

So you are giving the OP your best advice, and I am giving mine. What he chooses will depend on his goals for meditation. If he just wants a temporary retreat from the world without a strong desire to cultivate wholesome and strong qualities of mind, then your advice should suit him well. If he desires significant and positive change in the habits of his mind, hopefully he will see the logic in my advice. It's not about following Buddhism. It's about doing what works.
Old 13-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Seeker

Quote:
If you can present a valid argument against the idea I presented that you object to,

I have no problem with any suggestion anybody gives here to help the OP.

Quote:

... If you believe that running away when situations get tough is the best option, then I hope that works out for you, although anyone with a bit of life experience understands that it is far more beneficial to develop the ability to withstand the mind's weaknesses and overcome obstacles as they arise in our mind and in our lives.

.... If he just wants a temporary retreat from the world without a strong desire to cultivate wholesome and strong qualities of mind, then your advice should suit him well.

If he desires significant and positive change in the habits of his mind, hopefully he will see the logic in my advice. It's not about following Buddhism. It's about doing what works.

God! Do u need to meditate more? To withstand your own mind's weaknesses and overcome your ego.

Like I said...
"Really?! Honestly?! This sounds like a judgemental EGO saying my way is the best and only way"
Old 13-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Master
Quote:
God! Do u need to meditate more? To withstand your own mind's weaknesses and overcome your ego.

Like I said...
"Really?! Honestly?! This sounds like a judgemental EGO saying my way is the best and only way"

I think it's more a case where the OP just wants to meditate 30 minutes in the morning and never asked for anything else, the people came along with 'advice', which on the whole is fairly ill informed.

What Vince said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince
he longer you are in meditation, the more opportunity you have to gain insight into the nature of the mind and the more work can be done to purify its hinderances and develop the skills necessary to cultivate wholesome states of mind. When I started a meditation practice, I began with two one-hour sessions per day. It was the best choice I could have made. In my experience, the growth that comes from a one-hour session is far superior to that which is possible in only half that time.

...is a very sound comment on meditation.

I practice similarly - one hour sitting in the morning, and two additional less formal 30-40 minute sessions that fit my daily schedule. I've also done several lengthy retreats and take retreat at least once a year. I sit motionless, indifferent to passing sensations of the body, which on retreat (where there's 12 hrs sitting in a day) involves quite a lot of physical discomfort. There is also great pleasure of the subtle, though that can become intense and relentless, and then one endures rather than enjoys. Meditation isn't about enjoyment per-se, and the healing/purification involves quite some difficulty - but it's good.

However, It's true that the body has its knowledge. It knows how to assume the optimum posture and adjusts itself to allow the movement of the subtle senses. With practice, one can feel the movement and let the body straighten itself so they can move freely throughout, which can be pleasurable and enjoyable, or intense, where it becomes endurance. Meditation involves enjoyment as well as endurance. The only constant, regardless of enjoyment of endurance, is the stable balance of mind. That's not just an individual view; it's sound commentary based in lived experience.