Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 25-02-2015, 06:53 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Think about this, we practice our skate-boarding to become skilled at skateboarding, but then we practice meditation for any number of ulterior reasons.

I'm suggesting that meditation practice is actually done to become skilled in meditation, which begs the question, what is meditation?

Skate boarding is an activity, so it's very easy to identify, I devise a trick and practice so as to master the trick, but meditation is not easy to identify, so what exactly are we practicing?
I believe there to be "pure meditation" but there also exist derivatives of pure meditation, like using meditation to develop ones Lifeforce.
There could even be skate boarding in a meditative state.
Some say: "Ones whole life should be meditation".

But I also believe there is a sitting practice too which is about "the core of meditation".
Old 25-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
Vipassana and others meditations based on thoughtless awareness is helpful in this regard.
Meditations that depend on contemplation or visualizations, I am not quite sure of.
Could this be because the subtle energies can flow better with thoughtless awareness than with concentration?

Quote:
Thanks.

Quote:
Most people whom I had met who had experienced healing from diseases, had it through breathing exercises and yogasanas. Breathing exercises like pranayama, kriyas and others are very effective in taking in prana. They should be studied under qualified masters though.
Is healing based on replacing "dirty" prana in the body with "clean" prana?

Quote:
It seems actually to have the highest priority in life according to some spiritual masters.
Also in a stress-free life? If it is, it sounds like integration of meditation rather than meditation with a goal.

Quote:
The consequences of meditation and lack of it, makes me support the same as well.
I love my practice too.
Old 25-02-2015, 07:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrao
I believe there to be "pure meditation" but there also exist derivatives of pure meditation, like using meditation to develop ones Lifeforce.
There could even be skate boarding in a meditative state.
Some say: "Ones whole life should be meditation".

But I also believe there is a sitting practice too which is about "the core of meditation".

Sure, because meditation is a very particular thing, and doesn't refer to any particular activity. In terms of practice it's the practice of everything, but meditation itself isn't a practice. It's simply true that the whole life is meditation, but then there's distractions. In that case, what is it we are distracted from?
Old 25-02-2015, 07:19 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Sure, because meditation is a very particular thing, and doesn't refer to any particular activity. In terms of practice it's the practice of everything, but meditation itself isn't a practice. It's simply true that the whole life is meditation, but then there's distractions. In that case, what is it we are distracted from?
Perhaps we are distracted from "not using the senses"?
And perhaps that would make the "core" thing just residing in The Truth, just awareness.

Last edited by Serrao : 25-02-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 26-02-2015, 05:18 AM
TaoSandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrao
Can one then develop specific inner energetic qualities, like developing the quantity of Lifeforce, without focusing and "manipulation"?
Or should one not be interested in those things at all, and is it all about trusting to be provided in what one needs at the moment?

Developing the quantity? I've never really had an interest in that, really... who is to say that more is better? That is our "knowledge" that we have obtained from books and the desire to achieve and usually nothing else.

I think you'll find that, when one is aware, your energies will harmonize with that which is around you... Harmony, not greater quantity (although sometimes, you'll find that when put under certain stressors, you will feel a sensation of increased energy). You'd be surprised at how powerful simple awareness is. We are only unaware of this simple power because we often go through life unaware... therefore, outside forces tug at us, sap our energy and to some degree, control us.

-TaoSandwich
Old 26-02-2015, 05:28 AM
TaoSandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
My comment is that the meditation really has to be approached with complete purity and utter truthfulness from the beginning, and I'm a little reluctant to speak of other things. Think about this, we practice our skate-boarding to become skilled at skateboarding, but then we practice meditation for any number of ulterior reasons. I'm suggesting that meditation practice is actually done to become skilled in meditation, which begs the question, what is meditation?

Skate boarding is an activity, so it's very easy to identify, I devise a trick and practice so as to master the trick, but meditation is not easy to identify, so what exactly are we practicing?

When the meditation is being practiced, what is that direct experience which is meditative? These things are beyond mentioning and don't have a description, so the discussion on meditation always turns to the manifest things of the mind and the sensational sensations of the body, which are interwoven, but what we miss is the unmanifest experience that is the meditation itself...

In fact, the topic of meditation is an extremely complicated discussion. Simple in itself, but intricate in discourse, so personally, due to the craven mind in respect to the sensory experience, I feel it's most pertinent to become well grounded in the very essence of it, and practice meditation to enhance meditation alone.

After the necessary balances are well founded, which will be brought about through equanimity during pain, and having resolved the craving and the adversity, and then maintained stability as the emotional blocks and postural obstacles (interwoven) surface from the unconscious shadows into the light of conscious awareness, the the mind can perceive the subtler layers of form that vibrate, tingle, wave and flow... and we come across the second stage of the meditation where the pleasures of it again become the purpose of practice, instead of the practice of meditation itself, which is a delicate time for any meditator.

So... there is an ethic at the very core of it, something pure of conscience, and the practice is only for the sake of practice, which I heard as a saying in Zen, 'In practice there is'.

That's really my take on the matter as a whole. I already know that I contradict the tenets of masters and the teachings on antiquity and the advanced meditators perceive my insightlessness , and I can't refer to texts or quotes to substantiate anything I say, but I'm only a practitioner, no-one special, and speak only from my own perspective.

Gem,

Even if your understanding of meditation flies in the face of some "masters", it has some great truths in it!

-TaoSandwich
Old 26-02-2015, 06:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoSandwich
Gem,

Even if your understanding of meditation flies in the face of some "masters", it has some great truths in it!

-TaoSandwich

Everything I say flies in the face of masters, but I take some pleasure in tearing apart the spiritual establishment, and I hope people don't go into something where they are told what do in mindless obedience and blind faith. I say, revel in having no idea what to do and become alone. Only being alone as yourself is authentic and truthful. Obedience to instruction and conformity to a practice is imitation, which is not authentic.

Who are you in this moment, the life that lives, the spontaneity of uninhibited personality... look at how many people just put on an act so as to fit in. That's conformed and the real person is inhibited. How can we step up? Society won't allow it, but it's all false. Society is just the relationship between people, those relationships make society... society doesn't make relationships. People have to stop acting and start being, stop seeking and start looking and stop pretending and become truthful. This society will change because people drop the conditional labels of establishment and relate with genuine authenticity.

That's not a practice is it. Can you really practice being authentically yourself? There's no way. Authenticity can only be expressed in this moment. There's no 'way to be authentic'...
Old 26-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Master
Let's look at some definitions:

Practice: (verb) to perform (an activity) or exercise (a skill) repeatedly or regularly in order to improve or maintain one's proficiency.

(noun) the actual application or use of an idea, belief, or method as opposed to theories about such application or use; repeated exercise in or performance of an activity or skill so as to acquire or maintain proficiency in it.

Meditation is a practice in which an individual trains the mind or induces a mode of consciousness, either to realize some benefit or for the mind to simply acknowledge its content without becoming identified with that content,[1] or as an end in itself.[2]

Clearly meditation is a practice and can be practiced, by it's very definition.
Old 26-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceField
Let's look at some definitions:

Practice: (verb) to perform (an activity) or exercise (a skill) repeatedly or regularly in order to improve or maintain one's proficiency.

(noun) the actual application or use of an idea, belief, or method as opposed to theories about such application or use; repeated exercise in or performance of an activity or skill so as to acquire or maintain proficiency in it.

Meditation is a practice in which an individual trains the mind or induces a mode of consciousness, either to realize some benefit or for the mind to simply acknowledge its content without becoming identified with that content,[1] or as an end in itself.[2]

Clearly meditation is a practice and can be practiced, by it's very definition.

There is a practice of meditation which is not methodical, but a resignation to what's true, and in terms of the purification of the mind, that's consequential to the higher spiritual as the psychologically constructed time frame wherein trauma of past and anxiety of future is disolves in surrendering to what's true. The meditation then, is not concerned with the mind. The minds impurity is founded on fallacy, false views, which is in essence the attachment of an identity to something which you are not, and the attention will be proccupied with the mind until that identity lets go or is let go, at which time, the mind is let go as the attention is untethered from that. That really means that practice will continue as usual, as though you have a choice, as that is what's happening and there's no one there who can change it.
Old 26-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
There is a practice of meditation which is not methodical, but a resignation to what's true, and in terms of the purification of the mind, that's consequential to the higher spiritual as the psychologically constructed time frame wherein trauma of past and anxiety of future is disolves in surrendering to what's true. The meditation then, is not concerned with the mind. The minds impurity is founded on fallacy, false views, which is in essence the attachment of an identity to something which you are not, and the attention will be proccupied with the mind until that identity lets go or is let go, at which time, the mind is let go as the attention is untethered from that. That really means that practice will continue as usual, as though you have a choice, as that is what's happening and there's no one there who can change it.

Well, what you just did was you said that meditation isn't methodical, and then went ahead and described the method for meditation. LOL. The method you described is "letting go."

Then you said that meditation is not concerned with the mind, and yet everything you have described deals directly with the mind. For example, "..trauma of past and anxiety of future is disolves in surrendering to what's true" this trauma and anxiety is a condition of the mind, and this surrendering is likewise an intentional mental action.

And "The minds impurity is founded on fallacy, false views, which is in essence the attachment of an identity to something which you are not, and the attention will be proccupied with the mind until that identity lets go or is let go, at which time, the mind is let go as the attention is untethered from that." Letting go of one's identity is not synonymous with letting go of the mind in a way that the mind is no longer used, it is rather letting go of one's attachment to the mind. There is no transcendence of mind here, as one's experience continues to be centered in the mind (by definition there is no escaping this), there is simply a different frame of reference that is achieved, a different relationship to the mind is made.