Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 20-03-2018, 01:36 AM
Master
What exactly is "being" and "being-ness"?

I hear a lot of reference to it in spiritual scriptures but i'm still a little hazy on what it feels like. On an intellectual level I know it feels like "whats going on right now", but short of some emotions and physical sensations I'm kind of missing whatever else is there. the "subtle" stuff I guess.

I'm in particular looking for the definitions of hindu and indian masters. Ramana marashi and other similars, etc. great rishis, modern awakened gurus, etc.
Old 20-03-2018, 03:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivatar
I hear a lot of reference to it in spiritual scriptures but i'm still a little hazy on what it feels like. On an intellectual level I know it feels like "whats going on right now", but short of some emotions and physical sensations I'm kind of missing whatever else is there. the "subtle" stuff I guess.

I'm in particular looking for the definitions of hindu and indian masters. Ramana marashi and other similars, etc. great rishis, modern awakened gurus, etc.
NO answers from 'official' sources.

I'm pretty sure that 'whats going on right now' is completely on the wrong track. What's going on is NOT you, being is about just you in the state of only you. You might be surrounded by stuff going on (or not) but that is irrelevant to your state (of 'being').

From my own experience of 'being' its more of a lack of 'feeling'. When one is thinking/pondering, doing or reacting; that's when most of the 'feelings' occur. The sensation of settling into 'being' is more along the lines of a very extended sigh that never ends but without the effort of the lungs; like falling ever so gently. When one IS being, even the sensation of settling ceases.

Another way to describe settling into 'being' is if you have ever gone into a totally quiet or dark place. Mostly what you notice is how much sensation from the outside is gone. What's left is the expectation of sensation but it doesn't come. Eventually you stop expecting (analogous to 'being').

[advanced] 'You' might be taking action while in a state of being, but those actions just happen without any direction by 'you'. One is fully aware (to one's capabilities) of what action 'you' are doing but its merely observation.
This is because 'you' are 'being' not doing. Its your 'tools' (includes body) that is taking the action.
Old 20-03-2018, 05:01 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
NO answers from 'official' sources.

I'm pretty sure that 'whats going on right now' is completely on the wrong track. What's going on is NOT you, being is about just you in the state of only you. You might be surrounded by stuff going on (or not) but that is irrelevant to your state (of 'being').

From my own experience of 'being' its more of a lack of 'feeling'. When one is thinking/pondering, doing or reacting; that's when most of the 'feelings' occur. The sensation of settling into 'being' is more along the lines of a very extended sigh that never ends but without the effort of the lungs; like falling ever so gently. When one IS being, even the sensation of settling ceases.

Another way to describe settling into 'being' is if you have ever gone into a totally quiet or dark place. Mostly what you notice is how much sensation from the outside is gone. What's left is the expectation of sensation but it doesn't come. Eventually you stop expecting (analogous to 'being').

[advanced] 'You' might be taking action while in a state of being, but those actions just happen without any direction by 'you'. One is fully aware (to one's capabilities) of what action 'you' are doing but its merely observation.
This is because 'you' are 'being' not doing. Its your 'tools' (includes body) that is taking the action.

wonderfully put. I guess this is what I have been unconsciously doing from time to time now but not knowing what it was. In fact I've been quite scared that I've broken something or that I am somehow defective in some way because I'm not feeling things like I used to. Rather than a lot of highs and lows I'm on a strange middle ground where I don't feel bothered by much of anything or influenced by much of anything.

It seems like I'm just being but am still a big beginner at it. I seem to daze out and almost fall asleep when I'm just being although I am learning to stay focused and aware of things rather than let my tools do all the work. Sometimes this causes me to think and ponder but I quickly move away from it and go back to being or being aware of what I'm thinking. Letting it run its course, possibly interacting with it if it's problematic, but for the most part just enjoying the show.

I've also noticed that I long for the highs to come back. Life doesn't seem to have that extreme euphoria I once felt, although it is also devoid of the extreme anxieties and fears I once also had so usually right after I wish for the euphoria I have to remind myself that I would also be wishing for the anxieties and fears to come back and I don't want those back. It seems like there is more peace, although I don't always feel peaceful or blissful or euphoric. rather I just feel blank. like when falling asleep, relaxed and comfortable, but not happy or euphoric per say.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:51 AM
Master
Quote:
wonderfully put. I guess this is what I have been unconsciously doing from time to time now but not knowing what it was. In fact I've been quite scared that I've broken something or that I am somehow defective in some way because I'm not feeling things like I used to. Rather than a lot of highs and lows I'm on a strange middle ground where I don't feel bothered by much of anything or influenced by much of anything.
In case you like to research stuff this is what's referred to as 'detachment'.

Quote:
... although I am learning to stay focused and aware of things
In case you like to research stuff this is what's referred to as 'being present' or 'presence' (the beginnings of it anyway). With more practice, with 'being', it will not be necessary to be focused to stay aware.

Quote:
I've also noticed that I long for the highs to come back. Life doesn't seem to have that extreme euphoria I once felt, although it is also devoid of the extreme anxieties and fears I once also had so usually right after I wish for the euphoria I have to remind myself that I would also be wishing for the anxieties and fears to come back and I don't want those back. It seems like there is more peace, although I don't always feel peaceful or blissful or euphoric. rather I just feel blank. like when falling asleep, relaxed and comfortable, but not happy or euphoric per say.
This longing is partly from familiarity and habit. But more importantly its because you are more 'developed' on detachment than presence. When presence is developed to balance with detachment, 'life' again becomes 'interesting'. Stuff will unfold in a pleasing way almost on its own without disturbing you nor requiring much 'effort' on your part. It is more or less the spiritual version of 'flow' as in flow state often spoken about by top businessmen, athletes, and performers. In spiritual terms this is referred to as being in the world but not of it.
Old 20-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Master
In regards to my understanding / realization I refer to 'being' as what you are prior to experience.

You can experience what you are but you can't experience 'being' prior to experience lol .

This is why peeps can suggest that the realization of 'beingness' is the realization itself / Self realization.

The difference being excuse the pun is that when there is awareness of the experience again in reflection of what you are they can assume that the experience is illusory and there is no-one here so to speak .

There is the comparison had of experience and no experience, self and no self .

What is open to interpretation is what the comparison holds within the awareness of what you are.

x daz x
Old 20-03-2018, 11:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
In case you like to research stuff this is what's referred to as 'detachment'.

In case you like to research stuff this is what's referred to as 'being present' or 'presence' (the beginnings of it anyway). With more practice, with 'being', it will not be necessary to be focused to stay aware.

This longing is partly from familiarity and habit. But more importantly its because you are more 'developed' on detachment than presence. When presence is developed to balance with detachment, 'life' again becomes 'interesting'. Stuff will unfold in a pleasing way almost on its own without disturbing you nor requiring much 'effort' on your part. It is more or less the spiritual version of 'flow' as in flow state often spoken about by top businessmen, athletes, and performers. In spiritual terms this is referred to as being in the world but not of it.

This would be detachment like in the Buddhist term right, not the western psychology form of detachment right?

I'm starting to get fairly good at flow but mostly at work or with mechanical things. I haven't figured out how to be in flow state every minute of every day.

Also, there have been 2-3 times in life where I felt I perfectly balanced detatchment and presence. I don't remember what exactly happened or how to recreate it but basically I wasn't thinking and I wasn't going from one thing to another. I was simple aware of everything in an even way. It was like a movie or something else was unfolding in front of me and my vision seemed panoramic. I remember the absence of thought, or actually I remembered thoughts but I wasn't attached to them. They would come up and fade and I was able to keep a sustained state of being/attention for like 10 minutes. This is a break from the normal state of consciousness which we all experience in which the mind has something to focus on or think about, it accomplishes it, then moves unto the next thing. This other state I experienced it was like everything had the same level of importance, and rather than moving from one task to another I wasn't doing anything at all. Everything was just being done for me and all I had to do was enjoy it.
Old 20-03-2018, 11:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
In regards to my understanding / realization I refer to 'being' as what you are prior to experience.

You can experience what you are but you can't experience 'being' prior to experience lol .

This is why peeps can suggest that the realization of 'beingness' is the realization itself / Self realization.

The difference being excuse the pun is that when there is awareness of the experience again in reflection of what you are they can assume that the experience is illusory and there is no-one here so to speak .

There is the comparison had of experience and no experience, self and no self .

What is open to interpretation is what the comparison holds within the awareness of what you are.

x daz x

I have no idea what you are trying to say lol
Old 21-03-2018, 07:19 AM
Master
For me, it means just to rest within the whole awareness of the present moment. You're not really 'doing' anything or even thinking of anything you have to do in future and nor are memories from the past flooding in. Whatever thoughts you have just relate to your current self and immediate surroundings - basically at the level of self-comfort and actualisation.

It's like the moment just before you go to sleep, when you're not thinking or worrying about tomorrow or what you said to somebody and how they reacted...it's the point where you just drop all that and let sleep come...relaxing the mind into sleep as well as the body. With practice, one is able to relax the mind without falling asleep (even though the body is fast asleep) and you become aware of your position in space/time, your breath, heartbeat and just existing as...you.

This is what I term 'being'.
Old 21-03-2018, 07:19 AM
Master
Quote:
This would be detachment like in the Buddhist term right, not the western psychology form of detachment right?
yes

Quote:
Also, there have been 2-3 times in life where I felt I perfectly balanced detatchment and presence. I don't remember what exactly happened or how to recreate it but basically I wasn't thinking and I wasn't going from one thing to another. I was simple aware of everything in an even way. It was like a movie or something else was unfolding in front of me and my vision seemed panoramic. I remember the absence of thought, or actually I remembered thoughts but I wasn't attached to them.
Everything was just being done for me and all I had to do was enjoy it.
This is what I was referring to.
-----
Just to be clear this 'balanced detachment and presence' issue was in response to the angst and possible wish to return to the old way. 'Being' does not require either (though commonly does).
Old 21-03-2018, 07:45 AM
Master
Quote:
I have no idea what you are trying to say lol

Do you believe that what you are has always been in experience of the mind?

x daz x