Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 24-11-2017, 01:07 AM
Administrator
Spirit of man

In Buddhism what would the spirit of man be?

we often talk about the mind the ego the soul the body, where does spirit reside amongst all these parts it it even resides anywhere?

is soul and spirit linked in some way? if so how?

is my question about spirit even valid?
Old 24-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart

we often talk about the mind the ego the soul the body, where does spirit reside amongst all these parts it it even resides anywhere?

You tell me. I am all ears.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 24-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Eelco

You are asking a few things that the Buddhha didn't talk about much pr even at all. So what the buddhist view is would be anybodies guess.

With Love
Old 24-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Master
Quote:

Buddhism teaches that there is no permanent unchanging spirit/soul so therefore doesn't teach about what you asked
Old 24-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
You tell me. I am all ears.

The correct response to you would be to remain silent, because it is in silence any answer would be heard, so Im going to leave a gap below to honour that.........

in retrospect, I am asking the above questions because of a story of two birds in a tree, one observes while the other jumps from one branch to the next....

what is it that observes and what is it that is happy to suffer the many branches of illusions we call life?
Old 24-11-2017, 10:54 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
You are asking a few things that the Buddhha didn't talk about much pr even at all. So what the buddhist view is would be anybodies guess.

With Love

Typical of me to focus on something that is not there...... LOL
Old 25-11-2017, 12:14 AM
Master
Quote:
The correct response to you would be to remain silent, because it is in silence any answer would be heard, so Im going to leave a gap below to honour that.........

Hey but that is what I was thinking heart when you asked the question initially. I thought why is he asking others when he knows the answer in himself.. I wanted to know your answer from within you..

Quote:

in retrospect, I am asking the above questions because of a story of two birds in a tree, one observes while the other jumps from one branch to the next....

what is it that observes and what is it that is happy to suffer the many branches of illusions we call life?

Observation and movement are all a part of life itself.
Is the illusion really an illusion in the movements or is that life calling it to move beyond what the observing one isn't noticing? Tea for two/two for tea ...now where is my tea pot I wonder?

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 25-11-2017, 01:59 AM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
Hey but that is what I was thinking heart when you asked the question initially. I thought why is he asking others when he knows the answer in himself.. I wanted to know your answer from within you..

Observation and movement are all a part of life itself.
Is the illusion really an illusion in the movements or is that life calling it to move beyond what the observing one isn't noticing? Tea for two/two for tea ...now where is my tea pot I wonder?

Crafty..lol. indeed. the answer to my questions is not the issue as I already know the answers and the questions to them are illusions

it is in the asking that we receive further clarity to something so simple, profound understanding comes from non attachment to results,
Old 25-11-2017, 08:07 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Typical of me to focus on something that is not there...... LOL

Hmm.
We don't know if it's there or not. I said that The Buddha didn't explain, or talk about it much if at all. (haven't read every sutta yet)

In my understanding the Buddha was concerned with the cessation of suffering, so everything that was not directly related to that goal didn't get much attention by way of explaining it.

With Love
Eelco
Old 25-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Master
In Buddhism there is 'santana' which is like a transforming individual, but I think it is thought of as a process, maybe a mind/body process, or perhaps the continuity as each arising moment bears characteristics of the previous moment. It has relevance to 'rebirth' in the sense that there is rebirth, but not a thing that is reborn. Ultimately there is no subject of the process, but there is a process of 'santana'. I guess that's the 'tweet' version (see what I did there? teehee)