Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 06-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Ascender

5 precepts

Just a quick question. I was really a thread on a Buddhist forum and the subject of the 5 precepts came up. Most of the people on the forum followed Tibetan buddhism or other types of mahayana buddhism . Most of them seemed to be of the opinion that the 5 precepts are only followed on certain days and some of them only followed some of the 5 precepts. I mainly learned theravada (thai Forrest monks ) tradition and in that tradition the 5 precepts are meant to be followed or at least tried to be followed every day by everyone.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Suspended
Hey Shaunc,

You have to explain what 5 percepts are ,not all the Buddhism teaching the same as you said.

I never learn any of them but may be I can help you in someway.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Ascender
Theravada (teaching of Elder) is Buddhism based on Pali Canon. The tradition not only spread in Thailand but in Myanmar, Sri Lanka, etc.

As I know, only Theravada who strongly emphasize to practice Sila or 5 precepts in daily life without break.
Sila /morality is a foundation for Meditation and a gate for higher spiritual life.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:36 AM
Ascender

Thanks. So mahayana tradition doesn't really bother with them much.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek
Theravada (teaching of Elder) is Buddhism based on Pali Canon. The tradition not only spread in Thailand but in Myanmar, Sri Lanka, etc.

As I know, only Theravada who strongly emphasize to practice Sila or 5 precepts in daily life without break.
Sila /morality is a foundation for Meditation and a gate for higher spiritual life.

Thank you Shrek, your explanation able for me to search in the Google net.

I agree to be careful about the speed to others.

That's one of the five precepts.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
Thanks. So mahayana tradition doesn't really bother with them much.

I agree with you. That's why I have said they are different from the original Buddha's teaching. So is the Tibetan Buddhism teaching.

The most I dislike is they're not care much of the Buddha's teaching.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Ascender

It seems strange compared to what I have learned. All things whether it be a house, a business or a family have to have a strong and solid foundation. To me that is what the 5 precepts offers to a student of Buddhism.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Master
In my current mind ...if one accept anything as referral to Buddhism , one will always travel into longer journey ......and suffering is the nature of this choice
Old 06-07-2016, 02:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
Just a quick question. I was really a thread on a Buddhist forum and the subject of the 5 precepts came up. Most of the people on the forum followed Tibetan buddhism or other types of mahayana buddhism . Most of them seemed to be of the opinion that the 5 precepts are only followed on certain days and some of them only followed some of the 5 precepts. I mainly learned theravada (thai Forrest monks ) tradition and in that tradition the 5 precepts are meant to be followed or at least tried to be followed every day by everyone.

I understand that the 5 precepts although slightly different worded in some schools should be intergrated into your life, become a way of living. They are not formulated as imperatives but training rules which one voluntarily follows.

There are also 8 Mahayana precepts
Old 06-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Master
The practice of taking 8 precepts for one day also exists in the Hinayana tradition. The only real difference lies in the fact that the practitioner does not generate the Mahayana motivation. (Also fully ordained monks and nuns cannot take these precepts as they would be lower than their ordination.)

The Eight Mahayana Precepts are taken for twenty-four hours. It is especially good to take them on full and new moon days and on special Buddhist days (see the Tibetan Calendar).
The essence of this practice is to be mindful of the Mahayana motivation; to take these precepts in order to lead all sentient beings to enlightenment.
Observing precepts for even such a short time has tremendous benefits: one accumulates a great amount of positive potential (merit) in a short time. One will receive pleasant rebirths and eventually will attain enlightenment. One is protected from harm and the place where one lives becomes peaceful and prosperous. One's mind is peaceful and calm; one gains control over one's bad habits; there will be fewer distractions when meditating. One gets along better with others. One will meet the Buddha's teachings in the future and can be born as a disciple of Maitreya Buddha.

The eight precepts are:
1. Avoid killing, directly or indirectly.
2. Avoid stealing and taking things without the permission of their owner.
3. Avoid sexual contact.
4. Avoid lying and deceiving others.
5. Avoid toxicants: alcohol, tobacco and drugs (except for medicinal purposes).
6. Avoid eating more than one meal that day. The meal is taken before noon, and once one has stopped eating for thirty minutes, the meal is considered finished. At other times of the day one can take light drinks, but not undiluted whole milk or fruit joice with pulp. Avoid eating black foods: meat, eggs, onions, garlic and radishes.
7. Avoid sitting on a high, expensive bed or seat with pride. Also avoid sitting on animal skins.
8. Avoid wearing jewellery, perfume, and make-up. Avoid singing, dancing or playing music with attachment.

For a precept to be broken completely, four conditions must be present:
1. The motivation is a negative attitude such as attachment, anger, etc.
2. There is an object of the action, e.g. a being that is killed or an object that is stolen.
3. One does the action. If one tells someone else to kill, steal or lie, it is also a transgression.
4. The action is completed, e.g. the being dies before oneself or one thinks, "This is mine."

The first time one takes the precepts, it is done from a master. Thereafter,one can do the ceremony before a Buddha image by regarding it as the actual Buddha.