Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 19-04-2011, 02:36 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFE
Right, and you've shot down what I've answered, because it doesn't pertain to or conform with the "level" you want it to be.

See, there's always the other side.
At least we are making progress, you now know that there are 2 sides to every story. Now you only need to figure what the 2 sides are.
Old 19-04-2011, 11:45 AM
LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn
Now you only need to figure what the 2 sides are.

Opinion and opinion.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:54 AM
clamothe

I must admit, I didn't read all the posts that came before mine, so I may just be reiterating, but this concept recently clicked into place for me. At least the first question you posed! Let me know if you find an answer to the second ;)

A book I'm currently reading is "In search of the miraculous" by P.D. Ouspensky, and it's an organization and reflection on/of the teachings of G.I. Gurdjieff. His ideology is certainly not exclusively tibetan, but it certainly borrows and re-examines many eastern philosophies. From what I've found thusfar, he simplifies this brilliantly.

"I", as he uses it, refers to the construct of the "machine" called man. Opinions, perceptions, experiences, trauma, personal identification (with race, gender, country etc) these are the things that make up "I". This person is an illusion. But a SELF is entirely different. He says the biggest spiritual practice that is lacking is that man forgets to "remember himself". To look inward and feel your essence as it were, simply being aware of yourself.

This is a HIGHLY simplified rendition of his teachings, and if it interests you, I would certainly suggest seeking out this book! I am a highly skeptical person, and I can only embrace things that make sense. The aforementioned book has some very interesting and ironically new (ironic because this man was teaching these things before world war II) ways of describing spirituality, and he takes a very real crack at explaining the entire universe.

I'm not sure if this is the sort of material that would interest you, but it's a book that quieted down the skeptic in me, so I hope it may give you at the very least something new to ponder :)

Much luck on your journey!

Namaste
Old 04-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
This is an interesting statement because it is seemingly revealing of an underlying anxiety about death

Nope, not at all, thats just speculation on your part !
Old 04-05-2011, 09:10 PM
LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
Nope, not at all, thats just speculation on your part !

Quote:
This is an interesting statement because it is seemingly revealing of an underlying anxiety about death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
...rather than waste precious time with endless speculation...

Why is time precious?

And how is it that "precious time" can time be wasted?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Why is time precious?

And how is it that "precious time" can time be wasted?

I have to earn a living - so therefore my spare time is limited and can possibly be spent unwisely in pointless pursuits, instead of being used in a more beneficial way....and that's my personal viewpoint, OK?

Since you must have been interested in Mahayana Buddhism to read Matthieu Ricards books, I suggest you take your arguments to a wider selection of posters here:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/

All the best

S.

Last edited by Samana : 06-05-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 19-05-2011, 06:08 PM
spongebob

hello everyone,

I'm new. I just wanted to say that I have been overwhelmed by this forum and wish to express gratitude for sharing your knowledge. I hope I'll be able to contribute more soon.

-spongebob-
Old 20-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Experiencer
Welcome spongebob !

with kind wishes,

Samana