Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 18-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEmbers
I'm pretty sure that modern hipsters are wearing a combination of clothes worn by their parents and grandparents generations now days... and then there is the steam punk movement which takes it all right back to tue invention of the steam engine... strangely enough.

Steam punk is a pretty interesting sub culture.
Yeah, Red, I agree with what you've said (and I think steampunk is pretty cool, too). But the thing is it seems there are so many different lifestyles today. It's like...what's the cool thing today? I don't know, maybe I'm just out of touch...but it seems today nobody's worried about what "the crowd" is doing because there so many different crowds. I only base that comment on young people I worked with before I retired 3 years ago.
Old 18-05-2017, 10:00 PM
Master

I dunno and I am apparently a gen Yer... millenial haha.
The "lost generation" I have heard us called.

I was thinking about this last night and trying to channel the vibe of my generation.

If you believe what you read my generation has been feling pretty hopeless and lost right now.
Stagnant wage growth and housing prices have gone quite ballistic with no view of slowing down.

I didn't go to UNI myself but I sometimes contemplate doing so... but then there are many stories of our generation being sold a story about going to UNI to guarantee a better job... but now there are more UNI graduates then positions to fill.
Plus the debt of UNI to me and my earning potential are at a pretty big mismatch as the fields I would have an apptitude for have had stagnated wages for quite some time now... I'm not convinced that the debt would be worth it.

There are some positive things though which I have certainly witnessed in myself and peers... all these stories of success we were sold have left many (not all) to crash and burn... are slowing starting to "bring us back down to earth".
I'm just approaching 30 myself and I realise that I really have nothing much too my name.
I've never been one to spend more than I make... I have saved for as long as I have worked... I don't buy big ticket items and I have only journied overseas once in my life... across the ditch for my honeymoon where I slept in a campervan haha...but always I have had to cough up those savings again and again for other people's investments while life seemingly stagnates for me...

But what is the effect of all of this then?

I have certainly felt myself pulled back to community and the spirit of sharing resources. I have pulled further away from the illusion of obtaining things or owning land... and I have decided to achieve my dream of working the land and being a steward of the land by approaching it in a more community focused way... I may never have land of my own... so I have to find new ways to be a part of it reguardless...

I hear about my generation minimising their belongings... moving into tiny houses... everything has required too much effort to 'obtain' its this endless exhausting loop...and community has been lost along the way.

I feel that there is a sense of refocusing going on. We were sold lies by our culture and our education and were guided by the persuit of material success but we were never educated on how to relate to the community and each other... and the healthy balanced giving and recieving of ourselves and resources.

I find adapting to this new mindset tricky... I am growing my own food now on my balcony of my rented place. The baby boomers who surround me all own their plots and most of them also grow food. I want to bring this back to my generation and to those who are next. I am trying little ways to bring this sense of community back... and the sharing of resources
I find myself isolated at times and wondering how to practice these things.

I feel that my education taught me about isolation... and not inter- dependness and inter-connectiveness... co-collaboration and community.

I wonder how many there are like me who are reaching their 30's who are struggling to teach themselves these skills... we could learn these skills from boomers... yet we feel alienated by them... there is a perception that we are an entitled generation which has been given everything on a silver platter... I have found this not to be the case. We have been given things on a plate made by capitalist slaves made of illusions and debt and we have to navigate our way out of those illusions...

It's a strange thing... to be a part of this lost generation.

I feel myself pulling away from many persuits of 'success' and pulling away from perceptions of success... in favour of things which matter most... truth, integrity and connection with others.
I've pretty much stepped right out for the time being. Becoming more involved in community based projects and less involved in traditional work roles... I feel incredibly guilty for doing this at times because I was conditioned by capitalism to believe that I am only worth something if I am participating in the running of the machine!!

The more that I step out... the more insane it all starts to look lol...

Sorry for the ramble... haha
Old 18-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Master

I was watching a documentary about Steam Punk lol (yes there is a doco about it.

Steam Punks seem to be trying to reconnect with their inner resourful creative selves.

Trying to pull apart and recreate things which are accessible to them.

It's that whole nostalgia for knowing and understanding how things worked... the place where everything belongs...being able to create from that and connect to something which is not all about the persuit of materialism.
I think it offers a connection to that feeling of 'place' as well... as the era they are drawing from they percive people to have had clear social roles... perhaps not always good roles... slavery as a case and point... but at least everyone had a sense of 'place'.

The loss of community has also meant the loss of place.

It really all does appear that these creations seem to be without much purpose though... it's more an art and a statement than a practicality thing. Which is one reason why steam punk annoys me lol.

I'm hoping that the movement will usher some new ways of solution based creating down the track... and community... and the sense of place and belonging ehich goes with that.

It's a good start anyway!
Old 19-05-2017, 03:13 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEmbers
I dunno and I am apparently a gen Yer... millenial haha.
The "lost generation" I have heard us called.

I was thinking about this last night and trying to channel the vibe of my generation.

If you believe what you read my generation has been feling pretty hopeless and lost right now.
Stagnant wage growth and housing prices have gone quite ballistic with no view of slowing down.

I didn't go to UNI myself but I sometimes contemplate doing so... but then there are many stories of our generation being sold a story about going to UNI to guarantee a better job... but now there are more UNI graduates then positions to fill.
Plus the debt of UNI to me and my earning potential are at a pretty big mismatch as the fields I would have an apptitude for have had stagnated wages for quite some time now... I'm not convinced that the debt would be worth it.

There are some positive things though which I have certainly witnessed in myself and peers... all these stories of success we were sold have left many (not all) to crash and burn... are slowing starting to "bring us back down to earth".
I'm just approaching 30 myself and I realise that I really have nothing much too my name.
I've never been one to spend more than I make... I have saved for as long as I have worked... I don't buy big ticket items and I have only journied overseas once in my life... across the ditch for my honeymoon where I slept in a campervan haha...but always I have had to cough up those savings again and again for other people's investments while life seemingly stagnates for me...

But what is the effect of all of this then?

I have certainly felt myself pulled back to community and the spirit of sharing resources. I have pulled further away from the illusion of obtaining things or owning land... and I have decided to achieve my dream of working the land and being a steward of the land by approaching it in a more community focused way... I may never have land of my own... so I have to find new ways to be a part of it reguardless...

I hear about my generation minimising their belongings... moving into tiny houses... everything has required too much effort to 'obtain' its this endless exhausting loop...and community has been lost along the way.

I feel that there is a sense of refocusing going on. We were sold lies by our culture and our education and were guided by the persuit of material success but we were never educated on how to relate to the community and each other... and the healthy balanced giving and recieving of ourselves and resources.

I find adapting to this new mindset tricky... I am growing my own food now on my balcony of my rented place. The baby boomers who surround me all own their plots and most of them also grow food. I want to bring this back to my generation and to those who are next. I am trying little ways to bring this sense of community back... and the sharing of resources
I find myself isolated at times and wondering how to practice these things.

I feel that my education taught me about isolation... and not inter- dependness and inter-connectiveness... co-collaboration and community.

I wonder how many there are like me who are reaching their 30's who are struggling to teach themselves these skills... we could learn these skills from boomers... yet we feel alienated by them... there is a perception that we are an entitled generation which has been given everything on a silver platter... I have found this not to be the case. We have been given things on a plate made by capitalist slaves made of illusions and debt and we have to navigate our way out of those illusions...

It's a strange thing... to be a part of this lost generation.

I feel myself pulling away from many persuits of 'success' and pulling away from perceptions of success... in favour of things which matter most... truth, integrity and connection with others.
I've pretty much stepped right out for the time being. Becoming more involved in community based projects and less involved in traditional work roles... I feel incredibly guilty for doing this at times because I was conditioned by capitalism to believe that I am only worth something if I am participating in the running of the machine!!

The more that I step out... the more insane it all starts to look lol...

Sorry for the ramble... haha

Didn't mind the "ramble" at all, Red...lol. Interesting, in fact, and I understand you.
The life academia tries to sell you hasn't changed since I was in high school. The emphasis was then as it is now...getting into a good college...to get a good education...to makes lots and lots of money. Nothing about discovering your own self and pursuing what you were born to do. So...I gotta wonder, Red...is there something you feel you were born to do? Something that you've been steered away from (whether intentionally or subliminally) that was a passion? It's a question you must answer to yourself. If there is, pursue it and don't let anyone put up a block for you. At 30 you're still young.

For instance, my passion was (and still is) architecture. I wanted to be an architect and when I spoke of it I was told one must have lots of math to become an architect. I hated math, so I gave up on my dreams. It wasn't until it was too late in life for me to pursue it that I found that wasn't true at all.

I'll tell you what I told Necro. Check out intentional communities if you haven't already. They're popping up all over the world, and it sounds like this may appeal to you.
http://www.ic.org/

I found ic.org when I was wondering (simply out of curiosity and not for the purpose of joining one) 8 or so years back if there were still some hold out hippy communes so I googled it. I came upon ic.org and was surprised and fascinated...I didn't know this was going on. I found out about natural building, earthships, cob structures and straw bail structures. Because of that I've designed a straw bail small home for myself. There's a very famous and successful intentional community (Dancing Rabbit Ecovillge) quite close to me, and I'm seriously considering becoming a member and moving there and building my straw bail dream home. Dancing Rabbit was started in 1997, so it wasn't an old hippy commune (not a commune at all). Just a community of similar minded folks concerned about sustainability, our carbon footprint, organic gardening/farming, natural building and concentrating on the quality of life rather than materialistic gain.

Hope you check it out and find something, Red...!
Old 19-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Master

Hi there,

I had a look at the link - thanks for that.

I grew up just around the corner from an eco village community in a lush green valley so I am quite familiar with some of the idead ��

There are a couple a few hours north and south of me in the more 'alternative' areas. They are mostly about 20 people so I am guessing they may be extended family groups
I wonder if they do 'open days lol'

I am actually thinking of taking a day trip to a town which has defied council regulations and put fully functional edible gardens out the front of all the homes on the council nature strip.
The gardens are mature now and the community has backed it 99% with the odd person not in favor.
The community got together and decided they would plant in stealth and when it matured they would then gain traction in the movement... and council were happy to oblige with a few adjusments for health and safety.

I love this stuff... it is accessible to everyone no matter what your background or pollitical leanings. I love how they have made it more 'mainstream'. LoL!

I might charge up my efforts a bit from here, take a few more small steps to continue creating my own micro worlds towards change LOL... thanks for the inspired inspiration.
Old 25-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Master
Color I've got a silver machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARDAV70
Back when I started college in 1967 I met a guy who really looked the part. Long freaky hair, beard, scruffy jeans, flowered shirt and beads. He said "I'm a hippy. I'm a real (expletive) hippy...!!!" Then he went on to tell me what he was all about. Turns out this guy was an extreme racist, only interested in getting 'high' and wrapped up in very selfish pursuits. Oh, you'd look at him and say "now, there's a real hippy", but the fact is he wasn't a hippy at all.On the other hand, I knew a few people who'd say "I'm not a hippy" who dressed very ivy league, yet occasionally smoked pot and were all about peace, love, anti-war and social justice. I have friends who were in that category (with the exception that they didn't smoke pot or do recreational drugs) who over the decades have become exactly the kind of people they found fault with in their youth. They're "liberals" (so they claim), yet their lifestyle is very "upper middle class". They've become braggarts and materialism consumes them and I don't think they even realize it.That greatly saddens me, yet I get new breath by some of the current movements. A concern for the health of our planet, rejection of materialism, social justice, healthy diets and great concern with what we put into our bodies...a growing interest in sustainable living, making a smaller carbon footprint in tiny house movement and intentional communities, "back to nature" vibes.
So, IMO if we're going to hang labels on people, this new breath is what "hippy" is all about for me. It's not at all about how a person dresses or looks.
Your friends who were hippies but did not smoke pot no wonder they turned straight, they did not really turn on to the real sean that was happening.

I used to love dressing up as a hippie and freaking people out man, yeah that was were it was at
in places where others do not.