Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 18-01-2015, 01:50 AM
Knower
What makes a deck accurate?

Sometimes I had decks that were sometimes accurate, sometimes not at all, etc. and what not. :( Do you need to use your cards often to keep a connection? :O Are there some decks that just are hard to connect with?

Maybe it's like in Harry Potter, the wand picks the wizard, maybe the cards picks up :P I do love artwork of a lot of decks and I REALLY wanna give some decks a 2nd chance, like Crystal Visions <3 I love fantasy kind of decks I guess with beautiful colors :) It makes the artist in me happy
Old 18-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Knower
You can only tell if your decks are accurate by the feedback you get
Old 18-01-2015, 11:51 AM
55Degrees

Hi Aquarisun
I find some decks can be 'confusing' not necessarily inaccurate. I would agree that you have to have a strong connection with the deck via the imagery. If the images don't 'speak' to you then it is going to be hard to get to the nitty gritty of the message.

I have several decks, one I use all the time, some occasionally. My everyday deck is the one I feel I get more from.

If you like the artwork it helps, you can read into the images better, this is why, although rich in symbolism, I cannot connect with the Rider Waite Smith. I just do not like the artwork and therefore gave it up as a bad job and got a RWS based deck where the imagery is rich and vibrant, and I am waiting for my Illuminati deck to arrive.

I also have decks that are darker in theme, as I do not believe there is positivity in every situation, tarot should show us how to achieve balance and that is taking the bad and making it work for us or applying acceptance. These decks have taken some working with. I use these for specific reading themes and self development work.

I am currently doing an in depth study with a deck I have, I love it, but it needs studying, its not straight forward and I find it can be confusing to read, but not inaccurate.

I'd say get your Crystal Visions out and just spend time with it, really look at it. Take one card daily (I do one card over 5 days for my in depth study) and sit with it lose yourself in the imagery, but be aware of what you feel from the card. Each time you look at it your eyes will find something different.

Some people say meditate with the card, meditation has never been my strong point although I do try, I tend to 'daydream' with the card and then make notes on what feelings I got, what stood out for me.

In reality it is all about your connection with the cards, no deck is inaccurate, it may just be saying to you 'you're not listening to me'.

Put it in terms of 2 people you know, one your inseparable best friend, the other someone you know from the local shop. Your best friend, you understand their little quirks, their sense of humour, their habit of rubbing their earlobe when they are stressed. The other is someone who works at the local shop, you may say hello, they may seem like they are always miserable/ happy/ talking/ quiet. If you spent time with this person you would understand why, and what makes them tick.

Go on make a coffee date with you Crystal Visions and be the perfect listener.

Sorry about the ramble, once I start I find it hard to stop (I'd be a brilliant tarot deck )

P.S Crystal Visions is a beautiful deck.
Old 18-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Master

A deck is a deck - they're not accurate or inaccurate - it's the reader that's accurate or inaccurate in their interpretation of the cards.

Although, as Pisces_Moon said - I think some decks can be a little confusing and some of the newer decks just don't have clear enough artwork to speak clearly enough to the subconscious (IMHO). But unlike Pisces_Moon, the Rider Waite and the decks based on the Rider Waite are the decks that I connect with more than others. When I'm teaching the Tarot I have my students use the Rider Waite - the symbology goes very deep and when you understand it everything starts falling into place.

When I was learning I struggled trying to learn the meaning of every card in the deck, lol and gave up two or three times until I took a few lessons and started to understand the meaning of the suits and one day I picked up the cards and it all seemed to suddenly make sense.
Old 18-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Master

I was just thinking (dangerous, lol) I remember years ago I had a deck which I could never get accurate readings from....but to be truthful I think it was the art work - photos of real people - that put me off and the book that came with the deck gave interpretations/explanations which were way out in left field which indicates to me that my way of thinking and interpreting was much different from that of the designer of that deck.

I haven't seen that deck around any more - maybe other people had trouble with it too.
Old 18-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Everly

It's not the deck itself that is accurate or not, it's how we perceive it (consciously and subconsciously). Speaking about tarot, not oracle cards, the cards never lie. It's our own "stuff" that can get in the way. It's no different from sitting comfortably in your favorite chair. So, when we get nonsense, we're either trying too hard (too many readings for the same person or issue) or we simply don't resonate with those particular cards.
Old 20-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Master
There are some decks I just can't connect to. One of my first tarot decks I couldn't connect to save my life. To this day, if I pick up the cards, I still get nothing from them. It's not to say it's not an accurate deck. It's more about me being unable to interpret the images. I prefer Golden Dawn decks over Rider-Waite too.
Old 24-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Guide
Everly, What you said is partially true, it's not the same person, it's to many readings on the same issue. If you get silly answers, that's one cause, the other is the deck needs a good clearing. This is advice I have read about over and over in many different Tarot Books by many different authors. I am a newb to the cards so I am in the "learning sponge" mode. lol
Old 24-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
A deck is a deck - they're not accurate or inaccurate - it's the reader that's accurate or inaccurate in their interpretation of the cards.

Agree'd.

The trick seems to be finding a deck with the words or imagery which is most reflective of your mental imagery and constructs. Then using it a lot.

Spirit has it's own language it talks to us in and a certain amount of intuition is required to understand the various ways Spirit will use a card to relay information to us.

Getting a reading and watching how it plays out helps us to understand how Spirit talks to us and allows us to develop faith in it as a working communication system.

Starting with daily questions like "What will be a significant event today?" is a good place to start. At the end of the day compare what you experienced to what you were told. Adjust your understanding to match the card.
I've had cards used in multiple ways, including just down right hysterical ways.

Starting with big questions like "What is my life's purpose" isn't particularly helpful when we haven't developed a successful communication system yet. Also Spirit speaks in it's own time, which could be over all scope of this life or one's life purpose for this moment, week or until that is learn and a new purpose can begin.

In time you maybe led to buy a new deck, or combine decks or may just start hearing the voice in your head or seeing the cards flash before your eyes as an answer to a question. It can evolve into many forms once 2-way communication is comfortably established.
Spirit and I recently made two new decks together to cover things that were not in cards available on the market. It took three years to evolve to that point though. I now use 5 decks, asking the questions and feeling for the energy by holding my hand over each deck. Often the answer is in 2-3 decks, each saying it in their own way.

I highly recommend seeking daily guidance each morning as a way to become fluent. :)
Old 24-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Master
I should say I'm speaking of Oracle cards and Runes -not Tarot.
Spirit has never led me to Tarot particularly, but then again between Oracle cards and Runes what's not covered I couldn't comprehend anyway. Which happens often enough! lol