Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 28-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Pathfinder
Twin Pillars

Often the twin pillars of Buddhism are spoken of, these being wisdom and compassion.

Can there be genuine wisdom without there being compassion, or a genuine compassion without wisdom?
Old 29-10-2016, 06:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher
Often the twin pillars of Buddhism are spoken of, these being wisdom and compassion.

Can there be genuine wisdom without there being compassion, or a genuine compassion without wisdom?

When I first encountered Twin Pillars teaching I immediately thought of Yin/Yang symbol, one cannot exist without the other.
Genuine wisdom brings genuine compassion and genuine compassion is genuine wisdom..
Old 29-10-2016, 06:31 AM
Suspended
Quote:

Twin pillars of Buddhism is like brothers they go hand in hand. They associate and encourage each other to achieve something. When a person has wisdom and without compassion which may result in idle. And compassion without wisdom will result in moron act. That's thinking/acting the right thing, a part of Buddha's teaching.
Old 29-10-2016, 07:58 AM
Experiencer
The Buddha taught about the Four Sublime States (Brahma Viharas) of Love, Compassion, Sympathetic Joy and Equanimity.

More at the link:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/a.../wheel006.html

Old 29-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Pathfinder
Thanks for the responses. There seems to be agreement that the two "pillars co-exist and that the existence of one will imply the other. I agree.

Samana, yes, I am familiar with the writings of Nyanaponika Thera. In fact it was his collection of essays published as "The Vision of Dhamma" that first revealed Buddhism to me as an authentic path. Although I have tended to drift towards the Mahayana (especially Pure Land Buddhism/Shin) I still dip into the Pali texts and really see no fundamental conflict.

Anyway, the co-existence of each has implications for the nature of Reality. Edward Conze defined wisdom as "the mind/heart, thirsting for emancipation, seeing direct into the heart of reality", which is as good a definition as I have found. Such being the case, if such SEEING of reality naturally brings forth compassion, it speaks to the heart of Faith in the nature of Reality (or, as Buddhists would perhaps say, non-nature....... )

I have found that a little verse from the Theravada texts (which I found in one of Nyanaponika's essays) to be true.....

In protecting oneself one protects others
In protecting others one protects oneself

Once again, such truth is a guide to other insights. Twin pillars, or four states.

Thank you
Old 29-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Experiencer
The Buddha taught:

Quote:

"This is what should be done
By one who is skilled in goodness,
And who knows the path of peace:
Let them be able and upright,
Straightforward and gentle in speech,
Humble and not conceited,
Contented and easily satisfied,
Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.
Peaceful and calm and wise and skillful,
Not proud or demanding in nature.
Let them not do the slightest thing
That the wise would later reprove.
Wishing: In gladness and in safety,
May all beings be at ease.
Whatever living beings there may be;
Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
The seen and the unseen,
Those living near and far away,
Those born and to-be-born —
May all beings be at ease!

Let none deceive another,
Or despise any being in any state.
Let none through anger or ill-will
Wish harm upon another.
Even as a mother protects with her life
Her child, her only child,
So with a boundless heart
Should one cherish all living beings;
Radiating kindness over the entire world:
Spreading upwards to the skies,
And downwards to the depths;
Outwards and unbounded,
Freed from hatred and ill-will.
Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down
Free from drowsiness,
One should sustain this recollection.
This is said to be the sublime abiding.
By not holding to fixed views,
The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
Being freed from all sense desires,
Is not born again into this world."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...1.08.amar.html

May all beings have peace and happiness.

With metta,

Sam _/\_
Old 29-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Suspended
Master

Quote:

There is a lot of "spirituality seeking" that really is just ego and self-centeredness. Like somebody who selfishly meditates 12 hours a day to become "enlightened." They are only thinking of themselves and desiring to get something, to become something. Of course somebody else could have their head in the right place and be "meditating" 12 hours a day and becoming less self-centered. Depends on what is going on with the persons self understanding etc.

Basically, if it is truly a "spiritual" practice and not just ego being into such things, one does become a better kinder more giving and selfless person.

All religions deal with these issues. Christians debated works verses faith for centuries. The question of, Do you have to be a nice kind person to be following Jesus? Seems like simple question but many claimed all you had to do is believe, have faith, and you were saved. Didn't matter what you actually did all day long or how you behaved. Buddhism emphasizes practice, mindfulness, meditation, self inquiry etc but also the results you should see if you actually are moving in the right direction, no inner or outer conflict, compassion and empathy etc.

Right action produces right qualities.
Old 29-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWind
Depends on what is going on with the persons self understanding etc.

Thanks for your post.

"Self" understanding. A well known Buddhist Dictionary has said that the anatta teaching is the unique contribution of Buddhism to the World of Faith's search for understanding of our human reality. The Dictionary stated that not to understand this teaching is to invite misunderstanding of the entire Dharma.

One Theravada Bhikkhu once said that at the moment of emancipation "effort falls away, having reached the end of its scope." I have long thought about the exact "scope of effort" and how it relates to ethics and the arising of genuine compassion, empathy and love towards our world.

"Buddhas can only point the way, each has to walk the path themselves." True, and yet who is exactly walking the path in the light of the anatta teaching?

My own Pure Land path speaks of "self power" and "other power" ( Japanese "jiriki" and "tariki")

Zen would be seen as a self power path, Shin as an other power path. Yet what would a true "self power" practice be given anatta? And Shin undoubtedly has arisen firmly and historically within the ambience of Buddhist non-duality, so what price "other" power?

Yes, "self understanding" and what we have of it. I think it is true to say that Buddhism would insist that to "understand" is to live a teaching, not merely to have an intellectual or conceptual grasp of it.

To be selfless, to have wisdom, is to be compassionate. I think we all seem to agree. Maybe our practice differs. That is all to the good. We are all unique individuals.
Old 30-10-2016, 01:16 AM
Master
Wisdom in Buddhism is about realization, not book knowledge.

When one has realized true Wisdom it is compassion that radiates out.
Old 30-10-2016, 01:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Wisdom in Buddhism is about realization, not book knowledge.

When one has realized true Wisdom it is compassion that radiates out.

So in this view jonesboy, compassion would become, a deepening into self realizations and the life experience as one source?

As an example some people will show much compassion for animals and their welfare, yet may be less compassionate for the abuser of animals.

True wisdom in my own view deepens the understanding of all sides, so compassion in this way of being and understanding, cannot be separated out.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder