Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 AM
Master
You can google it and see examples on YouTube. I have yet to see where someone speaks a bona fide language and not gibberish. (Not saying it can't happen but I have yet to see.) As with so many so called spiritual experiences for every 100 I'm sure there might be one that is legitimate and the rest are creations of the mind.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 AM
Master
Hi Shareunity

I would identify as a charismatic type christian at times.

Tongues as a believer is a bit of a spiritual language and something that is an outpouring of an inner inexpressible joy. it feels good to do itunless your in public then it feels weird.

Privatey it is a good way to pray to god because your spirit can pray for things your mind doesn't think of. It is a spiritual gift that sometimes comes as a result of a baptism of the holy spirit.

It doesn't mean you are less or more of a believer, it is just a spiritual gift like any of the other ones listed in Corinthians.

this is my favorite passage in the bible and talks about it.

1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Footnotes:
1 Corinthians 13:1 Or languages
1 Corinthians 13:3 Some manuscripts body to the flames
Old 12-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Master
Speaking in so called tongues, is when we are speaking from our inner Being, there are many of us right here on SF doing that, it doesn't mean talking gibberish, its just simply talking from Oneness in your own language.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:11 AM
Rin

Why would anyone find it desirable to totally lose control and on top of it not even have any recall of the experience?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
Why would anyone find it desirable to totally lose control and on top of it not even have any recall of the experience?
i have never had that experience rin It always is just like normal prayer.

Whatever you are describing Rin can I order a big box full of it? It sure sound like fun lol.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
i have never had that experience rin It always is just like normal prayer.

Whatever you are describing Rin can I order a big box full of it? It sure sound like fun lol.
Quote:
CatChild posted:
I have seen charismatic Christians speaking in tongues, falling down, shaking and waving their hands in the air.
I'd say this is a very common perception of what some might say is being overcome with the Holy Spirit.
What I am asking is what the purpose is beyond demonstrating that one had such an experience? Does it change a person's life? If yes, in what direction and how deep?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Speaking in so called tongues, is when we are speaking from our inner Being, there are many of us right here on SF doing that, it doesn't mean talking gibberish, its just simply talking from Oneness in your own language.

When speaking from a space of Silence, we talk from Oneness, I agree.
However, just because a person thinks they are channeling speech, doesn't necessarily mean they are channeling from such a deep space. The mind can play tricks, especially if the person is egotistical and easily deluded. Such a one opens themselves up to all kind of energies, not necessarily Oneness. And it's easy to tell the difference - those who speak from Silence create harmony around them, peace, love and wisdom flow from them. Those who don't create the opposite.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
I'd say this is a very common perception of what some might say is being overcome with the Holy Spirit.
What I am asking is what the purpose is beyond demonstrating that one had such an experience? Does it change a person's life? If yes, in what direction and how deep?
Ahh I get what you mean. Have you ever wanted to have a spiritual experience where you think to yourself later "wow that was amazing"
Tongues is not that experience but you are talking about is. The direction after an experience like that is for me the is knowing there is more than belief. You hope there is a god and believe it but when a big supernatural moment happens to you it all makes sense what those people were talking about. Every time you meet the holy spirit the conviction it's all real goes deeper. It is a bit of a trip, It's a high of sorts. High on love and joy.

It's one of those things that explaining it does no justice to experiencing it.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
When speaking from a space of Silence, we talk from Oneness, I agree.
However, just because a person thinks they are channeling speech, doesn't necessarily mean they are channeling from such a deep space. The mind can play tricks, especially if the person is egotistical and easily deluded. Such a one opens themselves up to all kind of energies, not necessarily Oneness. And it's easy to tell the difference - those who speak from Silence create harmony around them, peace, love and wisdom flow from them. Those who don't create the opposite.
Yes and that is what I am saying, your own language is your own words from the inspiration of inner Consciousness, but those who are completely in the mind cannot understand what has been said, this is why so many are trying to find Enlightenment, if they only listened with full convection to the one that has tasted Consciousness, and follow the words that have been uttered they would find themselves also tasting the pureness of Consciousness, then from there they to will speak a new language, and they also then can help another to find their way, and so it goes on.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Juanita

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin

Meaning no disrespect, but I "have' witnessed this "so called" speaking in tongues and it "does" appear to be gibberish to me, but then they all went into another room and started gossiping about other members.....so no, it did not appear to change them for the better or change their lives........and it "was" creepy............