Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 26-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
I got involved with Buddhism because my wife and daughter
are Buddhist.

The Temple that I generally go to is the Temple of the Dawn.

If you're talking about the Temple in Bangkok, it is truly memorable.

https://www.watarun.net/

Although I was raised Roman Catholic, I utilized the purification methodology from Buddhism (Sattipattana Sutra and Heart Sutra) and Pantanjali's Yoga Sutras. They are both awesome.
Old 26-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
' A part of us will always get angry when it's desires are thwarted. '

That's only if your ' Attached to the desires '

There are some really good comments here.

I've always defined anger as "frustrated desires" due to attachments. It's scary how much we think alike.
Old 26-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Master
Quote:
The Buddha was said to have had supernatural powers as did Jesus, we will never know if this is true or just Myths, I personally don't believe it but to each their own

I tend to avoid discussions on "supernatural powers" as, more often than not, they are tempting distractions although they nonetheless do indeed validate one's perception of various aspects of the Reality.

I am convinced that such powers exist since I have personally seen extraordinary beings and am now convinced that virtually anything is possible if one is attuned to the subtle energies. However, sages warn against the pitfalls that lie ahead when one seeks out or becomes attached to powers (siddhis). It is well said that "miracles" are rarely performed without a sense of ego.
Old 26-08-2019, 04:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
There are some really good comments here.

I've always defined anger as "frustrated desires" due to attachments. It's scary how much we think alike.

Yes the attachment to the desire to have (craving) and the desire not to have (aversion) can cause a ' Hissy fit '. There's nothing wrong with desires, we all have them, but once you become attached to them and can't let go your heading towards suffering. I think being realistic in your desires is the way to go, if there not fulfilled it's not the end of the world, you just move on and be grateful for what you have...
Old 26-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I tend to avoid discussions on "supernatural powers" as, more often than not, they are tempting distractions although they nonetheless do indeed validate one's perception of various aspects of the Reality.

I am convinced that such powers exist since I have personally seen extraordinary beings and am now convinced that virtually anything is possible if one is attuned to the subtle energies. However, sages warn against the pitfalls that lie ahead when one seeks out or becomes attached to powers (siddhis). It is well said that "miracles" are rarely performed without a sense of ego.

If having supernatural powers are a benefit to all Sentient beings then there worth discussing
Old 27-08-2019, 08:57 AM
Master
Quote:
If having supernatural powers are a benefit to all Sentient beings then there worth discussing

There is a time and place for everything.
Old 27-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Master
Quote:
Yes the attachment to the desire to have (craving) and the desire not to have (aversion) can cause a ' Hissy fit '. There's nothing wrong with desires, we all have them, but once you become attached to them and can't let go your heading towards suffering. I think being realistic in your desires is the way to go, if there not fulfilled it's not the end of the world, you just move on and be grateful for what you have...

The attachment is indeed the issue but not the desire itself, as you duly noted.
Old 27-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Master
In my meditation training we were taught that craving arises from feeling (vedana) which is as it is taught in the teachings on dependent origins. In the practice one comes to realise that the aversion toward unpleasant feelings, that is, adverse reactions to pain, is coupled with craving for pleasant feelings. This dynamic between aversion and craving is the root of suffering. Buddha specified 'craving', not 'attachment', as cause in his teaching on the four noble truths. Hence meditation is defined as 'free of aversion and craving in the world' in the satipatthana sutta, which is the central text regarding mindfulness.
Old 27-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Master
THE FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS:

All is suffering (dukkha).
Suffering is caused by desire/attachment.
If one can eliminate desire/attachment, one can eliminate suffering.
The Noble Eight-fold Path can eliminate desire. Extremes of excessive self-indulgence (hedonism) and excessive self-mortification should be avoided.

THE NOBLE EIGHTFOLD PATH.

2 Right Intent.
Right aspiration is the true desire to free oneself from attachment, ignorance, and hatefulness.

https://www.zenlightenment.net/buddh...le-truths.html

Some Schools of Buddhism use different words regarding what causes Dukkha because of obvious Translation differences.

' Taṇhā is a Pāli word, which originates from the Vedic Sanskrit word tṛ́ṣṇā, which means "thirst, desire, wish", It is an important concept in Buddhism, referring to "thirst, desire, longing, greed", either physical or mental.'

It is sometimes translated as Craving.....

Last edited by sky : 27-08-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 28-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
In my meditation training we were taught that craving arises from feeling (vedana) which is as it is taught in the teachings on dependent origins. In the practice one comes to realise that the aversion toward unpleasant feelings, that is, adverse reactions to pain, is coupled with craving for pleasant feelings. This dynamic between aversion and craving is the root of suffering. Buddha specified 'craving', not 'attachment', as cause in his teaching on the four noble truths. Hence meditation is defined as 'free of aversion and craving in the world' in the satipatthana sutta, which is the central text regarding mindfulness.

The Satipattana Sutta is one of my favorite scriptures.

I too have noticed that desires (craving) eventually do subside in meditation but there remains a sense of goodwill toward all with an intuitive inclination to perform "actionless action" in the best interests of all. Words like craving, attachment, acting and so on eventually seem inadequate and unnecessary despite being very useful during developmental stages.

If one must indeed use words, I actually prefer the Buddhist wording "wholesome" and "unwholesome" with the underlying implications being obvious.