Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 29-06-2019, 12:39 PM
Master
gem
Quote:
Yesterday I had become overwhelmed by the expectations of my job and become anxious and stressed over it all, so I went outside and looked at a tree. Nothing special, energies and the like, but because I took a spell from keeping up with the pace, and stopped just to look at something, the frantic energy I had built up dissipated, and after a while, I realised how long it had been since I thought about my problems - and really, I couldn't figure out why I had been distraught in the first place. Even though my circumstances had not changed at all, same pressures, same problems, all just the same, the way I was changed and went from high tension to 'whatevs'. In essence, I had simply stopped imagining and started looking and then I was seeing it 'as it is'.
I know what you mean, I have several jobs like this.

JL
Quote:
You are right Gem, it's ordinary but beautifully powerful. We don't need power, kundalini or deities to help us realize these sanctum truths.
Well, said!

Justbe
Quote:
In the end it all comes back to balance and being in the world but not of its race, pace, stress. A straight shooting friend of mine, says all we need to do is breathe, consciously helps at times.
Thank you for the reminder!

ketzer
Quote:
It can sometimes feel like magic. All that is required of the mind is for it to get out of it’s own way, and yet this is often so hard for it to do. Sometimes the struggle can even become the mind trying to get out its way. Like Laurel and Hardy both trying to go through a doorway at the same time, a vaudeville of the mind.
Great Description!

unseeking seeker
Quote:
There was a contraction

You observed it. The contraction receded. Automatically.

You know the way.

Lovely reframe

gem
Quote:
Being composed and clear in the mind, having all your ducks in a row, and being abreast of the big picture as you take care of the minutiae.
you’ve got this!

So much wisdom on the thread! Thank you so much for sharing and explaining! I really needed to hear this!

Love the mindful tortoise joke!
Old 29-06-2019, 02:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yesterday I had become overwhelmed by the expectations of my job and become anxious and stressed over it all, so I went outside and looked at a tree. Nothing special, energies and the like, but because I took a spell from keeping up with the pace, and stopped just to look at something, the frantic energy I had built up dissipated, and after a while, I realised how long it had been since I thought about my problems - and really, I couldn't figure out why I had been distraught in the first place. Even though my circumstances had not changed at all, same pressures, same problems, all just the same, the way I was changed and went from high tension to 'whatevs'. In essence, I had simply stopped imagining and started looking and then I was seeing it 'as it is'.

My story here is not special. There are no amazing things in it. It's just a stressful day at the office and how it really didn't need to be. I had no special energy experiences or anything like that, just ordinary daily things, but it comes back to fundamental principles of Buddhist meditation, to be aware, and see it 'as it is'.

I think sometime one just needs to remove him or herself from the immediate situation in order to get a different view or perspective of things. I was at a graduation party the other night and after 3 solid hours of listening to extremely loud music (type I don't care for) and screaming across the table to be heard, I just abruptly said, I got to go and said my goodbyes. After I got home I thought about my behavior, removal of myself and it all didn't feel so emergent once I was away from the environment that was stressing me out. Of course I was home at that point and didn't have to return.

My way of defusing my anxieties and stress at the end of the day is just to jump in the shower and wash it all away. Seems kind of symbolic, but it's literal. I think a lot in there and often get a fresh look at situations.

Thanks for sharing. It may have been an "ordinary daily thing" but those are the things that keep one sane.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
I think sometime one just needs to remove him or herself from the immediate situation in order to get a different view or perspective of things. I was at a graduation party the other night and after 3 solid hours of listening to extremely loud music (type I don't care for) and screaming across the table to be heard, I just abruptly said, I got to go and said my goodbyes. After I got home I thought about my behavior, removal of myself and it all didn't feel so emergent once I was away from the environment that was stressing me out. Of course I was home at that point and didn't have to return.

My way of defusing my anxieties and stress at the end of the day is just to jump in the shower and wash it all away. Seems kind of symbolic, but it's literal. I think a lot in there and often get a fresh look at situations.

Thanks for sharing. It may have been an "ordinary daily thing" but those are the things that keep one sane.

The 3 essential Buddhist training and discipline are a) ethical conduct, b) mental discipline and c) wisdom. I can see now that I lacked mental discipline in the above examples I gave, which is my usual M.O. more like avoidance and removal of self instead of tolerance and understanding.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
The 3 essential Buddhist training and discipline are a) ethical conduct, b) mental discipline and c) wisdom. I can see now that I lacked mental discipline in the above examples I gave, which is my usual M.O. more like avoidance and removal of self instead of tolerance and understanding.

Removing yourself from an uncomfortable situation is quite normal but as you have wisely realized yourself tolerance and understanding would serve you better in the future as there are always uncomfortable situations around the corner and removing yourself isn't always possible.

Mindfulness will help you deal with these types of situations, just being rather than leaving will come, it just takes time and practice .
Old 09-07-2019, 10:23 AM
Master
I had an ordinary day, but even though noting spectacular happened, it was extraordinary all the same. Only normal things happened, no spirits came down, I did not meet a guru, I didn't have a meditation experience. Nothing of a spiritual nature occurred. Yet, it was extraordinary all the same. I had a coffee. I missed an appointment. I had a meeting. I did combat training with my boss. I took the boxing class, a HIIT group, the VIP Squad and answered a bunch of texts etc... all in a days work. Nothing amazing happened. Only normal mundane things. But something was happening like an undercurrent - the subtext of what I can say.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Master
This thread reminds me of non ordinary reality meeting ordinary reality. In the end it all becomes extraordinary.

I’m sitting by my window here watching a flock of beautiful white cockatoo’s flying in to feed. They’ve taken over the front yard and all so busy finding food their way. Some are digging deep into the roots, some are collecting seeds off the driveway, some are curious of their mates foraging, so happily observing their way. Their is one in particular that reminds me of a grandpa cockatoo. His feathers are all fluffed up, he is walking with a waddle. maybe he thinks he’s a duck?? Lol. The crimson rosellas have joined them now, so the whole front yard is amass of white and wings.. a very pretty sight while I wash my dishes and clean my kitchen..
Old 10-07-2019, 08:45 AM
Master
There are things I want to happen that do not happen, and although the popular spiritual notion of 'no doing' is basically true, there is reason for a proactive approach.

How then can a person live influenced by Buddhist principles and also exert a great effort when the cessation of suffering is also the cessation of volition, yet apathy is the outcome of resigning to 'come what may'. All I know is, such apathy will not bring business success, and even my greatest motivation might lead to failure.

This is the difference between motivation, or motive, and inspiration. Motivation is the desire to achieve a goal. It is a future vision which pulls me toward it. Inspiration, on the other hand, is a push. It is a deeper 'why' I do what I do that reflects the kind of personality I am.

The motivation sounds like: "If I do not have not have 25 clients a week by September the 30th, the business is going to fail. The goal is 25 clients a week by date, so 7/week this month, and 7 more each month thereafter". Those targets pull me, and that is the motivation to achieve the goals.

Inspiration sounds more like "I want to benefit as many people as possible through their physical fitness". It doesn't have particular targets like 25 by September. It comes from a deeper place, and it is why I set targets at all.

In my own training I have goals too, to lift x kilos by such and such a date, so those numbers pull me toward them, but why do I set those targets? What is the inspiration? What's driving me from behind?

Be it training or making the business work, it is effort, consistency over a long period of time is the key to success. It's not a silly thing like just visualise and the universe will provide. Only people who don't deadlift say things like that. The real 'Secret' is to cultivate qualities of skillfulness, merits, personal qualities such as single mindedness, positivity, dedication, perseverance, diligence; and at the same time, overcome sloth, apathy, negativity and other unskillful and delusional mind states. The deeper strengths are abilities of such cultivation.

Understanding the deeper issues will enable one to not only reach the targets that motivate them, but undertake that effort in a deeper way, like, 'what kind of person' does these things, and cultivate the merits that bring about that sort of personality. In Buddhism we call it the 'right effort', but I merely express how it applies to the mundane day to day of my ordinary life.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Master
I think it was sky123 – who once quoted this:
Quote:
“In all stillness there must be movement; in all movement there must be stillness”

Qigong saying.

That to me - be it in Buddhism or whatever - sounds like the 'right effort' applied to the mundane day to day ordinary life.
Doing and not-doing combined.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:42 AM
Master
The goal is not always the outcome. I had set high ambitions fr today's training, but due to some fatigue and some slight back pain, I under performed nowhere near what I intended. Instead I dropped the weight to well under my working weight and settled for just going through the movement.

What if I could simply visualise and the universe would provide. In that case I would step on the platform tomorrow and be the world champion, right? Does that sound realistic? Lets not be ridiculous. Even in the day where I wanted to repeat what I have already done, and know I can do if I put in a full effort, the conditions were not right for that outcome, so I couldn't make it happen as I wanted it to. I could only make the most of it according to what was possible at the time. The attention to the process as it happens outweighs the importance of the goal, and what I 'can' do today matters so much more than what I 'can't'.

The word 'can' has a positive connotation, and 'can't', negative, so the skilled thinker will approach life's vicissitudes still doing what they 'can'. That mentality is leading proactivity. I am not upset that I did not meet my performance target today. I am pleased that I did what I could do. Therefore my mind is not clouded by negative, self-defeating, thoughts; but I face the reality of my presented limitations in a positive light feeling optimistic about my progressive journey.

In this way, the 'right effort' prevents me from depressing mental formations and leaves me with a positive state of mind, which is brighter, more energetic, and happier. Thus my suffering is reduced through being conscious of my state of mind and recognising delusional negativity as fabrication, and by 'keepin' it real', the presented limitations are merely facts of life which do not disturb me, as I simply work around them and do what I can.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
What if I could simply visualise and the universe would provide. In that case I would step on the platform tomorrow and be the world champion, right? Does that sound realistic? Lets not be ridiculous.
It seems – the more we, in our ordinary everyday lives, integrate aspects of ourselves – our thoughts/intellect, emotions and actions towards the intent of proceeding on the spiritual path – or towards God, Spirit, Buddha (the space above you head, like in some Buddhist Deity meditations, if you like) – the more we can then let go of them and rest in an open & empty non-thought receptivity.

It also seems that the more “Pure Spirit”-centered (rather than me-me-me and my endless counting of my meritorious achievements centered) we become – the more these synchronistic events happen …..
https://newbuddhist.com/discussion/1...f-coincidences
Quote:
Summary: Coincidences seem to happen more and more as one progresses on a spiritual path, and they arise from real connections which are only known by non-conceptual awareness.

So. There is nothing wrong building up your physical strength to the max – this is very good!
I mean those dumbbells seem to practically be lifting themselves – when you get your Mong Wolf Blood or testosterone pumping … LOL! ….
(Got to have an objective humour about it as to not take one's self too seriously).

It is just good to remember the Buddha-above-your-head you are dedicating it all to imo. and LET GO.
DOING it all for the EYES OF Spirit, God, Emptiness - Buddha ......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQsFN64rEQ

There is the SYNCHRONICITY experience, the ZONE experience – the FLOW experience .... BUT there is also the mental/conceptual obsessive/compulsive-tunnel experience ….. and it is good to recognize and know them all …..