Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 27-07-2019, 10:51 AM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
To give an example. Last week I had the misfortune to put down our dog. Smokey was a 13 years old whippet and a much loved family pet and unfortunately was suffering from cancer.
There's a certain amount of bad karma involved in the taking of life, even though I never personally took his life (I paid a vet to do it ), there's also a certain amount of bad karma involved in letting an animal suffer needlessly. I picked what I thought was the lesser of two evils. However up until that fateful evening Smokey had enjoyed a good life. He was fed and exercised regularly and medicated when needed as well as wormed and checked for fleas and other parasites.
I'm hoping that treating him like that will bring some sort of good karma into my life and hopefully enough to outweigh the bad.
But my belief is that both lots of karma will turn up eventually.
Sorry to hear about your pet, I have been there many times and know it is very hard.
I am not sure however, there is any bad Karma there at all. What you did for Smokey was to put aside your own needs and do something terribly hard to do in order to end his suffering. You took suffering upon yourself for the sake of him. Even when you thought perhaps you might accumulate some bad Karma from it. You sacrificed your own well being for the sake of another soul, so I can't see how anything but good Karma could come from that. While I always struggle a bit to understand this buddhist concept of no self, perhaps in these sorts of selfless acts, I can see a little bit of it.
Old 27-07-2019, 02:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
To give an example. Last week I had the misfortune to put down our dog. Smokey was a 13 years old whippet and a much loved family pet and unfortunately was suffering from cancer.
There's a certain amount of bad karma involved in the taking of life, even though I never personally took his life (I paid a vet to do it ), there's also a certain amount of bad karma involved in letting an animal suffer needlessly. I picked what I thought was the lesser of two evils. However up until that fateful evening Smokey had enjoyed a good life. He was fed and exercised regularly and medicated when needed as well as wormed and checked for fleas and other parasites.
I'm hoping that treating him like that will bring some sort of good karma into my life and hopefully enough to outweigh the bad.
But my belief is that both lots of karma will turn up eventually.

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep;
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand;
But don't let grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years;
What is to come can hold no fears.
You don't want me to suffer so
The time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
But please stay with me 'til the end
To hold me close and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,
It was a kindness done for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I'm saved.

Please do not grieve that it was you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

So sorry Shaun, been in your position many times and it hurts.
Old 28-07-2019, 02:53 AM
Ascender

Thank you everyone.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
Thx, makes good sense to me.

It does and it is just that, so simple.

Is the Tao (or, the dhamma) of Poo why he is banned in China?
Sorry...but this is actually a serious question, if anyone is familiar with this.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 08-10-2019, 01:12 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
In Buddhist philosophy, 'kamma' refers to the volition. The volition is 'cause' and past volitions have created potentials which will manifest to conscious awareness when all the conditions come together. That's destiny and you can't do anything about that. The idea that good deeds wash out and prevent these manifestations is not consistent with Buddhist philosophy. Ill intent of the past is going to manifest in a bad way (just as it has always done), and when it does the person can continue the habit of reacting with aversion and craving more desirable experiences, and thus perpetuate misery, or cease reacting like that and accept it because it is true.

The meditation is to cease the volitions by coming to peace with the past and the destiny already created. To cease reacting to the manifesting circumstances with aversions and desires, and thereby be at peace with circumstances regardless of what they are, and thus undermine the wish for things to be otherwise, thereby bringing volition to an end and stopping kamma causes altogether. That equanimity of mind lets the old potentials manifest as they are wont to do (without resistance, avoidance or desirous, clingng reactivity) and you do not add any new potentials by generating kamma, and in this way the 'stockpile' starts to empty out in a process of purification.

Gem...very nice explanation.

But to this, I would note that the addition of lovingkindness from a place of equanimity surely can't hurt anything -- can it? -- and may help (to alleviate suffering and add to the balance of well-being in the world).

Lovingkindness simply for its own sake, that is, and not with any specific intent save one...in support of the highest good of each one equally to all, and of all equally to each one.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 08-10-2019, 01:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
It does and it is just that, so simple.

Is the Tao (or, the dhamma) of Poo why he is banned in China?
Sorry...but this is actually a serious question, if anyone is familiar with this.

Peace & blessings
7L

WTP is banned
Old 08-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Master

It's worth pointing out - as this seems to have slipped through our minds - that who you are at this moment, where you are at this moment, how you are at this moment both in physical form and in mental presence is a result of everything that has ever happened in your collective environment(s) (family, village, town, country and planet) in relation to your conscious partaking of this thing we call life.

All that has ever been is at this moment at its zenith. You and the trees and the grass and your dog and your bicycle. They are in the now all the result of everything.

There cannot be various sorts of karma, whether Buddhist or anything else. The proof lies in the now pudding and the pudding permanently resides in the now.

If you want to improve your lot then make a firm start now, but don't forget you need to do it with the rest of everything.

The processes and procedures we call karma have another - let's say more modern word - Evolution.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
It's worth pointing out - as this seems to have slipped through our minds - that who you are at this moment, where you are at this moment, how you are at this moment both in physical form and in mental presence is a result of everything that has ever happened in your collective environment(s) (family, village, town, country and planet) in relation to your conscious partaking of this thing we call life.

All that has ever been is at this moment at its zenith. You and the trees and the grass and your dog and your bicycle. They are in the now all the result of everything.

There cannot be various sorts of karma, whether Buddhist or anything else. The proof lies in the now pudding and the pudding permanently resides in the now.

If you want to improve your lot then make a firm start now, but don't forget you need to do it with the rest of everything.

The processes and procedures we call karma have another - let's say more modern word - Evolution.

In Buddhism Evolution and Karma are very different, you can find plenty of Buddha's Teachings regarding Karma to understand the difference Neil.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Master

Originally Posted by...《Busby》
---------------------------

----------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
In Buddhism Evolution and Karma are very different, you can find plenty of Buddha's Teachings regarding Karma to understand the difference 《Neil》
Are their two spiritual forums members named Neil.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil
Originally Posted by...《Busby》
---------------------------

----------------------------

Are their two spiritual forums members named Neil.

Sorry, wrong person....