Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 28-09-2012, 03:22 PM
iolite

I learned a little about Samhain when I was helping my daughter research for a paper she had to do for spanish class about the Day of the Dead. To me Samhain is scary and freaky and Halloween is just fun. Here across the ocean, Halloween is a big deal for kids and the young at heart. I still remember going trick or treating in those ridiculously thin polyester costumes that came with the stupid plastic masks and the outrage we felt when our mom made us put on our coats OVER our costume!!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Occultist

Samhain is different then all saints day.
Or day of the Dead or Halloween/evening before Hallowed day.

Samhain Lore (October 31st)

Samhain, (pronounced SOW-in, SAH-vin, or SAM-hayne) means "End of Summer", and is the third and final Harvest. The dark winter half of the year commences on this Sabbat.

It is generally celebrated on October 31st, but some traditions prefer November 1st. It is one of the two "spirit-nights" each year, the other being Beltane. It is a magical interval when the mundane laws of time and space are temporarily suspended, and the Thin Veil between the worlds is lifted. Communicating with ancestors and departed loved ones is easy at this time, for they journey through this world on their way to the Summerlands. It is a time to study the Dark Mysteries and honor the Dark Mother and the Dark Father, symbolized by the Crone and her aged Consort.

Originally the "Feast of the Dead" was celebrated in Celtic countries by leaving food offerings on altars and doorsteps for the "wandering dead". Today a lot of practitioners still carry out that tradition. Single candles were lit and left in a window to help guide the spirits of ancestors and loved ones home. Extra chairs were set to the table and around the hearth for the unseen guest. Apples were buried along roadsides and paths for spirits who were lost or had no descendants to provide for them. Turnips were hollowed out and carved to look like protective spirits, for this was a night of magic and chaos. The Wee Folke became very active, pulling pranks on unsuspecting humans. Traveling after dark was was not advised. People dressed in white (like ghosts), wore disguises made of straw, or dressed as the opposite gender in order to fool the Nature spirits.

This was the time that the cattle and other livestock were slaughtered for eating in the ensuing winter months. Any crops still in the field on Samhain were considered taboo, and left as offerings to the Nature spirits. Bonfires were built, (originally called bone-fires, for after feasting, the bones were thrown in the fire as offerings for healthy and plentiful livestock in the New Year) and stones were marked with peoples names. Then they were thrown into the fire, to be retrieved in the morning. The condition of the retrieved stone foretold of that person's fortune in the coming year. Hearth fires were also lit from the village bonfire to ensure unity, and the ashes were spread over the harvested fields to protect and bless the land.

Various other names for this Greater Sabbat are Third Harvest, Samana, Day of the Dead, Old Hallowmas (Scottish/Celtic), Vigil of Saman, Shadowfest (Strega), and Samhuinn. Also known as All Hallow's Eve, (that day actually falls on November 7th), and Martinmas (that is celebrated November 11th), Samhain is now generally considered the Witch's New Year.

Symbolism of Samhain:
Third Harvest, the Dark Mysteries, Rebirth through Death.

Symbols of Samhain:
Gourds, Apples, Black Cats, Jack-O-Lanterns, Besoms.

Herbs of Samhain:
Mugwort, Allspice, Broom, Catnip, Deadly Nightshade, Mandrake, Oak leaves, Sage and Straw.

Foods of Samhain:
Turnips, Apples, Gourds, Nuts, Mulled Wines, Beef, Pork, Poultry.

Incense of Samhain:
Heliotrope, Mint, Nutmeg.

Colors of Samhain:
Black, Orange, White, Silver, Gold.

Stones of Samhain:
All Black Stones, preferably jet or obsidian.
http://wicca.com/celtic/akasha/samhainlore.htm
Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Occultist

I would like to hear how everyone Celebrates this day also.
I make a Cauldron brew myself while wearing my Pentacle hat and ceramonial dress.
I pass out candy to the children and have my familiar on my shoulder.
I also re Hex my home .
Also make Lavender cookies and Honey lemon grass biscuits.
Leave out for the Fae with some nice Ale.
I make triditional Pumpkin cookies made from sugar pumpkin puree.
And bake some apples and make a klutey dumpling after that. so alot of warding and spells and recipes to offer thanks for the blessings that year brought. I will be making a special thanks for my New sheperd on this Samhain also.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Master
Hi Occultist [xx]. I celebrate Samhain with a ceremony to open a portal and seeking the guidance of the ancestors.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:12 AM
MoonWillow

Oh dear, I feel I'm going to get shot but I love Halloween.

My four children used to love going to parties ( They still do even though now grown up ) and dressing up.

They did go trick or treating, we used to take them, but where we live lots of folks love the fun of it.

We go to Whitby for Halloween and ' Yes' we do dress up...and it's great

This is how we celebrate what I do consider to be a very special time.

MW.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Master
MoonWillow, Whitby is great fun when the Goths are gathered.
Is this you by any chance ?
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...pse11020b4.png
Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Master
Musical comparison of Samhain and All Hallows

Samhain http://youtu.be/fHkR7ihE9iQ

All Hallows http://youtu.be/EGlalcA2SVo

Get my meaning ?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 AM
MoonWillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
MoonWillow, Whitby is great fun when the Goths are gathered.
Is this you by any chance ?
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...pse11020b4.png

No not me.

MW
Old 03-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Occultist

Sounds like fun Moon. :)
Old 03-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Master
Bunny Halloween it is~

Green men, green witches, green apples, ahh.

Halloween will always be a reason to smile for me, norsie. I grew up in the 50's/60's and it was all for fun. Oddly, the season was the reason for the season! Cool evenings, families doing things together - carving those pumpkins, grandma making pumpkin pies, and mom helping with the costumes.

I'll honor and respect your Samhain if you respect my Halloween. What's in a name, so says Mr. Shakespeare?

Awwooooooo!