Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Astral Projection

Old 12-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Master

Very true, relaxation is the key. This morning I was not tired. I had all the sleep I needed. I got onto my side as that position is very relaxing for me to be in. I breathed in and out for a short while. Then I let my whole body relax at the same time. I felt my inner self rise up and going out of my body.
The only problem with being in that position is it is very relaxing so it is easy to fall asleep. I can lie on my back but after a while it gets uncomfortable. If it gets uncomfortable then you are unlikely to ap. That is what I learnt recently. You probably already know that.
Do you think it it worth while practicing to stay awake lying on my side and give up lying on my back for a while? Lying on my back mostly does not work. If I lie on my side it can get too comfortable and that may not be good.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Prokopton

Good relaxation techniques are indeed vital, not only to projection, but to everything! Personally I like the tense-relax technique of Edmund Jacobson, who first came up with the term 'progressive relaxation' back in the 1930s. He'd been researching the removal of anxiety by relaxation of muscle fibres since 1908! He wrote a guide for the layperson called You Must Relax: A Practical Method of Reducing the Strains of Modern Living in 1934, followed by a technical manual containing all his research, Progressive Relaxation, in 1938.

This was later expanded in therapeutic terms by Joseph Wolpe. These days we have a lot of research showing effectiveness of those specific techniques in treating many common human difficulties; for example phobia, anxiety and panic disorders, hypertension, insomnia and depression on the psychological side; and headache, chronic pain, irritable bowel syndrome, dysmenorrhea and tinnitus on the physical one. The technique is often taught as part of wider therapy and may just be holding some aspects of civilization together at this point. :)

This book gives all the info you'd need on history and training. You can also get good quick instructions in the technique from this web page, or famous astral projection guru Robert Bruce's favoured version is on this web page (or in his book Astral Dynamics.)

It's very easy, if you've got the general idea from trying out a description or two, to improvise and mould the technique for your own particular requirements, especially if you've taken the wise step of learning something about your anatomy. Combination with chi self massage from Taoist traditions or shiatsu can produce some very welcome results.

Another important basic relaxation tool is the inner smile technique -- see from page 39 of Chia's Awaken Healing Energy Through the Tao, available for free here.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Guide
Actually, recently I've come to the conclusion that "relaxation" is NOT required. Don't get me wrong, it does seriously help... veterans and beginners a like, but the MAIN key to projection is learning to disassociate your consciousness from your physical body and its surroundings.

And you do NOT need to relax in order to do that... it just helps a bit more.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Master

You are right Xanth. I think both ways are correct, to be very relaxed and not so relaxed. Both ways will work. There are times when I am not relaxed and I AP. I think you can ap more often if you are relaxed.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by astralsuzy
The only problem with being in that position is it is very relaxing so it is easy to fall asleep.

Do you think it it worth while practicing to stay awake lying on my side and give up lying on my back for a while? Lying on my back mostly does not work. If I lie on my side it can get too comfortable and that may not be good.

suzy... I suggest finding another position that is both comfortable and not the way you usually sleep.

For instance, maybe your other side, or turned around in your bed head-to-foot, or putting a pillow or rolled up towel under your knees. I have used a modified 'lounge chair' position, with my head and shoulders propped up a little and my knees supported. I've heard some people even go ap lying on their stomachs.

Xan

Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Master

Thanks Xan, I always appreciate your replies. You are sensible and knowledgeable.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Master
Thanks, suzy...

blessings
Xan

Old 26-06-2011, 02:22 AM
Master
bringing this up...

Old 11-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Master
bringing this up...

Old 11-07-2011, 12:29 AM
not human

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaga
For years, I've used progressive relaxation to get myself to sleep when I am having trouble doing so otherwise. It is a good practice to get into, even if you are not taking steps into the Astral :)

I totally agree with this. Please pardon my ignorance, I looked into AP when I was a teen mainly because it seemed fun & scary at the same time & just a really cool thing to master. As I refined my path as I grew older I could never see the value of exploring different " states " as my particular journey seems more to do with embracing humaness rather than leaving it conciously. Am I missing something here, what are the different motivations for achieving this state conciously. Thank you.