Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Quintessence

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenK
Actually no.... science is as much a religion as most traditional religions are...

Wait, what? When did I ever say I thought science can't be understood as a religion (form a certain point of view)? All I said was I liked UndercoverElephant's post.

Quote:
The prime assumption that's been made here is that science is on a sound footing... it isn't... and it hasn't been for quite a few years...

Be weary of painting with too broad a brush; it isn't the science that is the problem as much as the politics and the decisions humans make in applying scientific findings. Specific disciplines can stagnate and can have problems with proper research ethics, but really... this is going much too far. It's like blaming the gun for the murder instead of the murderer.

Quote:
Science needs to revisit it's primary assumptions

Such as... ?
What do you consider the "primary assumptions" of the scientific method to be?

For me, I'd list things like "we can create instruments of measurement are accurate and precise enough to gather data about the physical world around us" and "from these measurements, we may use principles of mathematics to determine things like statistical significance." Throw out these primary assumptions and you can't even do science, so I imagine you were thinking something quite different. >_<;
Old 02-04-2012, 06:37 AM
Master

Quote:
You're most welcome Seawolf! :^)

I found several interviews with Brian Weiss and happily enjoyed each of them! He's big on follow-up research and validation when a past life
set-of-circumstances are available to do so! Some of the stories that he shares are pretty dramatic and solid...
Thanks I'll check it out. Good to hear he follows up on it.

I don't think researching things like this is different than anything else, of course you have to use good science! But even if you do have compelling, quality research, would the scientific community even listen?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Master
I think people don't realize that scientists of historical note were very deeply insightful.

Good information though.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:05 PM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler
*citation needed*

Surprisingly easy... and if you really cared about the validity of this you can easily do your own home work.... I've been running across this info
continuously over my last year and a half of focused studies on the subject... it's embarrassingly easy to find...

google:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=modern+medicine+number+one+killer

and now for the dramatic version :^)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBPKj010jHQ

Now consider this... food, and the processed toxins in food are hardly, if ever, considered when it comes to ones formal health care... and yet it's
food and these toxins that are the primary reason for illness... modern medicine remains largely silent while all around them is a culture that's
quickly swirling down the toilet.. taking drugs won't fix this... taking drugs makes it worse... for every person who dies there are so many more who
are daily injuring themselves, both from the drugs and from medical ineptitude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler
*citation needed*

now google "drugs no better than the placebo effect" .. you won't be disappointed... :^)
Old 02-04-2012, 02:05 PM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
Thanks I'll check it out. Good to hear he follows up on it.
I don't think researching things like this is different than anything else, of course you have to use good science! But even if you do have compelling, quality research, would the scientific community even listen?

Nope... modern science (particularly in the medical fields) has it's own mesmerized view of how things should be... a very linear attachment to an
overly presumptive model.

Here's an interview with a doctor named Terry Wahls:
http://itsrainmakingtime.com/2012/terrywahls/

She had a bad enough case of MS that she was nearing the end of the line... she shifted her diet to the Paleo model and within a year she was
running in marathons... the medical industry had given up on her... she was a doctor and applied all that the medical industry had taught her... she
then did her own homework and came up with her own cure...

so you would think that her contemporaries would be all over this.. some were interested.. but most were considering her crazy.. even though what
she did worked, and what "they" did, didn't...

Here's another with a "doctor" who successfully cures cancer.. only he went outside the "model" to do it.... he's been marginalized and trashed by
the "industry" as well... even though his success rate is consistently far better.

Why Steve Jobs Really Died
http://itsrainmakingtime.com/2011/nicholasgonzalez2/

here's another interview with doctor Gonzalaz via doctor Mercola.. it's a seven part youtube interview that not only goes into treatment but also
highlights the intransigence of the medical industry to address anything outside it's dysfunctional mindset...

starts with this one:
A Tragic Decision That May Have Cost Steve Jobs His Life?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWTHbGu8JSY

then continues under this title:
Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Nicholas Gonzales on Cancer (Part 2 of 7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ-diONXCZc

... and for those who want to come to the defense of the science of the medical industry this interview is one of the "many" canaries in the coal mine....
Old 02-04-2012, 02:13 PM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
Such as... ?
What do you consider the "primary assumptions" of the scientific method to be?

Heeehee "Potatoes" :^)

"Whenever someone asks you a question and you don't feel like answering, just remember the ultimate answer to all things: Potatoes. It's always the potatoes."
Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 PM
UndercoverElephant

Hi Stephen,

Quote:
Actually no.... science is as much a religion as most traditional religions are...

It's nothing of the sort, but there are some people who are unwittingly trying to make it that way. People like Richard Dawkins don't just defend science. They also defend various metaphysical beliefs which are often associated with science, but aren't actually science.

Proper science is supported empirical evidence. Religions are supported by faith alone (be it faith in God(s) or faith in the reliability of scripture.)

Quote:
Science is a belief that is often left blinded by his own hubris... I challenge you to listen all the way through Bruce Liptons lecture... he makes one of
the best cases yet for the dangers of science as it's traditionally been practice in relation to the organic organism.... Modern medicine is now the
number one cause of death in the US... because their science is flawed... because their science is religiously adhered to.. because their science is the wet dream of big pharma...

I think you're getting science mixed up with the politics and big business here. Science is just a tool for humans to use as they see fit. Some humans use it to make themselves richer. That's a problem with human nature and the society we live in, not science.

Quote:
Modern biology is built around a mechanical model while physics has shifted to an energetic universe... the drugs that are produced by this
mechanical/chemical approach hardly fair better than the placebo effect.. and in most cases do more damage than good...

The prime assumption that's been made here is that science is on a sound footing... it isn't... and it hasn't been for quite a few years...

The "footing" of science is methodological naturalism. That is to say that when we are doing science, it is necessary to assume certain things about the way reality works. For example, we have to assume that the laws of physics apply consistently everywhere. We also assume that the physical world is all that exists. HOWEVER...this is not the same as metaphysical naturalism, which goes further and asserts that not only is it useful to think this way when doing science, but that these metaphysical beliefs are actually true statements about the nature of reality. Metaphysical naturalism is not science. It's a sort of anti-religious metaphysical belief - arguably a sort of religion or religious belief.

Quote:
Science needs to revisit it's primary assumptions

Science needs to examine the limits imposed on it by its own methodology. There's no excuse for Dawkins not to do this. He's not a philosopher, but he ought to already know that science couldn't possibly investigate the actions of a God whose behaviour was not deterministic. Yet he still claims that if God exists and has an effect on reality, science must in theory be able to find out about it. In order for his position on this to make sense he has to believe in a God which responds to human actions just like a deterministic system. This hypothetical God does not resemble any from any religion I know, or that he knows. What sort of God always blindly follows the commands of humans? What sort of God doesn't have the free will to choose not to respond in a predictable way? His position makes no sense, but he feels compelled to defend it because the alternative is to admit that there might be things going on in physical reality that science can't ever discover, and for him that would be a disaster.

The problem is that Dawkins is a scientist, but he spends a lot of time talking about religion and philosophy, and he doesn't actually know very much about either subject. He understands religion and philosophy through the eyes of a scientist, and this limits his capacity to comprehend them.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 PM
UndercoverElephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I think people don't realize that scientists of historical note were very deeply insightful.

Good information though.

Yes. Lots of them.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Master

Quote:
Nope... modern science (particularly in the medical fields) has it's own mesmerized view of how things should be... a very linear attachment to an
overly presumptive model.
That's too bad. When learning new things, it's important to be able to reason with an open mind instead of letting preconceived ideas hold us back. We follow the group-mind, and always seem to think we know more than we do. Closed-mindedness is common among people of all levels of intelligence. It's so common that I'm not surprised at what you're saying.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Kepler

Quote:
Surprisingly easy... and if you really cared about the validity of this you can easily do your own home work.... I've been running across this info continuously over my last year and a half of focused studies on the subject... it's embarrassingly easy to find...

google:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=modern+medicine+number+one+killer

now google "drugs no better than the placebo effect" .. you won't be disappointed... :^)
So, you're just going to tell me what to google, rather than provide any sort of substance?

Quote:
and now for the dramatic version :^)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBPKj010jHQ
Death By Medicine