Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
ThoughtBroadcaster

do people escape from karma based on how they view themselves?

do people escape from karma based on how they view themselves? plus is their a righteous way to find out spiritually how people will pay the price for wrong doings like say "karma cam"?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtBroadcaster
do people escape from karma based on how they view themselves? plus is their a righteous way to find out spiritually how people will pay the price for wrong doings like say "karma cam"?

Hi T.B.

I have spoken about karma quite a bit of late lol. So please forgive me If I just paste a few quotes that I resonate with.

My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand. ~Thich Nhat Hanh

According to the karma of past actions, one's destiny unfolds, even though everyone wants to be so lucky. ~Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Men are not punished for their sins, but by them. ~Elbert Hubbard

There are the waves and there is the wind, seen and unseen forces. Everyone has these same elements in their lives, the seen and unseen, karma and free will. ~Kuan Yin

Like gravity, karma is so basic we often don't even notice it. ~Sakyong Mipham

There is a destiny that makes us brothers: none goes his way alone,
All that we send into the lives of others comes back into our own.

~Edwin Markham

Belief in karma ought to make the life pure, strong, serene, and glad. Only our own deeds can hinder us; only our own will can fetter us. Once let men recognize this truth, and the hour of their liberation has struck. Nature cannot enslave the soul that by wisdom has gained power and uses both in love. ~Annie Besant

x daz x
Old 08-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Master
Beautiful quotes. Thanks for posting.

Thoughtbroadcaster...many traditions say you watch your own karma cam after every life...you review your life's thoughts, actions, everything.

I've already had a taste of it...sort of terrifying and shame filled at the same time...because I did really bad stuff? no...just because I'm not perfect and I have become increasing aware that I still have so far to go (!)...LOL...all we can do is try our hardest to become more aware of right intent, right speech, and right action.

For me, right speech is probably the hardest...LOL...have tried very hard to curse less and become more respectful :)...but right action can also be HARD...LOL...as we are pushed to stretch ourselves to forgive & let go throughout our lives...and also to open up our hearts, and trust.

Peace,
7L
Old 08-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Racer X

Karma is LAW, and thus no escape, it must be paid!

Grace is a LAW which transcends Karma, it must be extended in order to transcend the LAW of Karma.

Grace will change everything and you will have to change with it.......
Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 PM
boxinggregger0

racer , you have walked the walk , love your posts karma,sooo true
Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Gracey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X
Karma is LAW, and thus no escape, it must be paid!

Grace is a LAW which transcends Karma, it must be extended in order to transcend the LAW of Karma.

Grace will change everything and you will have to change with it.......

Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Experiencer
Karma certainly isn't some kind of cosmic punishment system . I like what a western Buddhist Mahayana teacher called Ken Mcleod has to say in some short articles about it here -

Quote:
Karma is one of the most misunderstood concepts in Buddhism. The misunderstandings are unfortunate because the principle of karma is crucially important for our understanding of why we practice and what happens when we practice. In the next few newsletters, I will try to correct a number of these misconceptions. The first misconception on my list is the notion that karma means cause and effect.

Karma isn't cause and effect

The confusion of karma with the law of cause and effect has two sources, cultural differences and translation difficulties.

Continued here: http://www.unfetteredmind.org/articles/karma.php

Furthermore, the great Theravada teacher Ajahn Buddhadasa said of Karma:

Quote:
Most people are interested only in black kamma and white kamma, bad kamma and good kamma. They take no interest in this third kind of kamma which is neither black nor white, neither bad nor good, which consists in complete freedom from selfhood and leads to the attainment of Nibbana. It wipes out every kind of bad and good kamma.
Quote:

People don't understand the method for wiping out kamma completely. They don't know that the way to put an end to all kamma is through this special kind of kamma, which consists in applying the Buddha's method. That method is none other than the Noble Eightfold Path.

The practice of the Noble Eightfold Path is kamma neither black nor white, and it is the end of all kamma. This is kamma in Dhamma language. It is very different from the "kamma" of immature people, who exclaim "That's Kamma!" meaning only "Too bad!" or "Bad luck!" Kamma understood as bad luck is the kamma of everyday language.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books2/Bhikkhu_Buddhadasa_Keys_to_Natural_Truth.htm#KALAM A SUTTA

Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 PM
boxinggregger0

[quote=boxinggregger0]racer , love your posts karma,sooo true
Old 11-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Master
Some say Karma doesn't happen anymore from past lives I agree.
however I agree and believe that Karma can happen from your life right now IE you treat your employees like pooh then karma will kick you up the butt.
Just my opinion
Spiritlite.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Toolite

I personally feel you will not escape karma.. Karma keeps us on our toes.. we are quick to act but, karma helps us to understand what if felt like when we did it to someone else.. (lol)

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!