Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Aromatherapy

Old 08-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Leah85

Cat Incense and/or oils? Lemon? Concentration?

Hi everyone! May someone give me a quick impression on the following...

»» Do you think that burning incenses are therapeutically as effective as burning essence oils? I personally prefer to work with oils, and don't even know if aromatherapy includes the burning of incense sticks?

»» Does anyone know what lemon fragrance is used for?

»» What is best for concentration (for work and study and other intellectual activities)?

Thanks!!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 PM
star-child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah85

»» Do you think that burning incenses are therapeutically as effective as burning essence oils? I personally prefer to work with oils, and don't even know if aromatherapy includes the burning of incense sticks?

»» What is best for concentration (for work and study and other intellectual activities)?

Thanks!!

Hello

I have also been wondering whether incense is as effective as oils. I have come across many incense sticks recently and had a feeling the fragrance was artificial.

Lemon essential oil is a refreshing, cleansing and tonifying oil. It can be used to treat respiratory conditions when you steam inhale it or blend it and rub on your chest. It can also stimulate the digestive system so is useful if you have lost your appetite. Lemon is detoxifying so can benefit cellulite. It is antiseptic so can help in the treatment of colds, contagious illnesses, problem skin, warts and scabies.

On a more spiritual level, all citrus oils tend to be nurturing, feeding us on a subtle level. They have a cheerful energy and can be used as antidepressants in traditional aromatherapy. To get the spiritual effects you need to use the oil very very sparingly. If you are interested more in the spiritual effects of aromatherapy than physical I would suggest getting hold of the book Subtle Aromatherapy by Patricia Davis.

The following essential oils are used for concentration: cedarwood, grapefruit, patchouli, frankincense, geranium, myrrh, coriander and pine.

Sophie
Old 11-10-2010, 06:07 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:

Thanks!!

I believe anything that carries the scent is effective in aromatherapy. If physical application is necessary, then and oil applied directly to the skin in some form of carrier oil is needed.

I'm told lemon scent is excellent for lifting spirits and especially effective in a sick room where the patient has had to remain for days at a time or longer. It brightens the energy and lifts the spirits.

I don't know what is best for concentration and study from the aromatherapy modality, but there is a formula in either the Bach Flower remedies or perhaps another brand that is designed for that, and I can tell you it works, as I used it when I went back to college at the ripe old age of fifty and needed assistance absorbing (and retaining!) information
Old 19-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Ivy

Quote:

Thanks!!

In terms of training in aromatherapy, it doesn't iclude burning incence. However, burning certain herbs is supposed to be therapeutic (though I dont know much about it). However, its worth considering that ancient cultures who have burned herbs therapeutically, tended not to live in draft free, double glazed, insulated buildings and though the plant materials may contain therapeutic qualities...they may also contain toxins when burned. Incence is often simply a chemically produced scent on a stick. You can buy natural incence, but it is still smoky and natural doesnt mean harm free. Saying that, I do burn incence (in small doses)...but as a general rule, trust your senses and your nose. aromatherapy oils are much more concentrated and pure because the essential oil has been seperated from the rest of the plant material. Its still wise to research a good supplier and spend that extra bit of money to get a quality oil.

Lemon cleanses...it boosts the immune system and uplifts the spirits. Its antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial, so is excellent all round when there are colds and infections.

It is phototoxic - so dont use it on the skin if youre going out in the sun...and it can cause irritation in some people.

Whats good for concentration is quite dependent on what hinders your concentration...if youre hyper and concentrate you might need something calming - whereas if youre sleepy so cant concentrate, you might need something more stimulating.
Old 25-10-2010, 04:07 PM
LightFilledHeart

Yesterday was my birthday, and one of the gifts I recieved was a box of Young Living Oil's essential 7. One of the blends included was Joy, which I have always loved and have often in the past used as a perfume. I eagerly opened the bottle to take a deep breath of the sweet and uplifting aroma I remembered only to smell instead a somewhat sharp and distinctly unpleasant scent, not at all the one I remembered! I put a drop on each wrist and let the skin absorb and then smelled that as well, and it smelled just as it did from the bottle. Could it have gone bad?? DO they go bad??? Are there any other possible reasons for this? I am wondering if there are times when a given oil (or formula) is not compatible with certain individuals and thus exudes a different scent than what it ordinarily would. In other words, maybe that formula not being compatible with one's energy at the time means he/she should not use it, and thus the body protects itself by creating the illusion of an unpleasant odor. I also wondered if perhaps the fact that all seven small bottles of oil were packaged in the gift box side by side might have
caused individual scents to bleed through into one another and "polute" the purity of the specific scent... could that be a factor? If so, you would think the company would know better than to package them that way. Any thoughts?

Last edited by LightFilledHeart : 25-10-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Master
edit sf staff
thanks for all the information!!!! much more than I thought I'd find whilst opening up this thread haha! I picked some up cuz it was one of the least expensive of many different ones and I loved the way it smelled. I've used more common ones like lavender, eucalyptus and peppermint but the place I got them from only had those common ones. I didn't know lemon was so useful, thanks!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Master
For aromatherapy itself yes I believe oils are better, for better concentration I find that orange, peppermint, and orange help (not all together but separately).
Spiritlite.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:28 PM
ShamanBird

anything thats bright and happy like lemon, wards off evil