Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 09-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Psychic and mediumship..the difference.

I see many people mix and matching, so to speak, psychic and mediumistic. They talk as if they're the same thing.
Psychic is one thing, one type of reading and a mediumistic reading is another completely different thing, I can't help feel it doesn't/shouldn't need to be said but here I am saying it.

Personally I don't like conducting a psychic reading as I find them boring and all I feel I'm doing is pointing out the wood from the trees to the sitter, or put another way, pointing out what's in plain view, but the sitter needs to be told because they can't see it themselves. Yes I can also tell them about their health, love life, home life, etc but of course they know this already, I may even pick up on bits of a secret they have, but again what's the point?
I don't do the future, to me there are too many paths to look down, to many possibilities & anyhow, all it takes is one detour & that future isn't going to happen anyhow so what's the point?
Why do you think it's worth receiving or conducting such a reading, apart from having the wood from the trees pointed out to them ?

A mediumistic reading.
This has intelligence to it, it's a connection to, depending on how you view it, a spirit, or as I see it, a consciousness that once was a person...anyhow....to continue.
I like, depending on who the connection is to, conducting these types of readings, they can be interesting, they make you work for the information you can get & bring a different, better, more fulfilling outcome. It's more enjoyable to me & the sitter.
It's a different type of energy used and received.

Above are two obvious differences, one is a connection to the energy of a living person and the other isn't.
Why do you think there's a confusion when people talk about psychic and mediumistic? Is it they simply don't know the difference or are there other reasons?

I do have more to add but at this point I'd appreciate your comments to get the ball rolling.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:29 AM
Experiencer
^ thanks Tony. I don't mind giving psychic readings I find the people who are drawn to sit with me are Shamans, numerologists, people who are already 'awake' and don't have a real need to hear from a departed loved one as they already have an unwavering faith of where they are and what they have to say.

I find I call them 'soul purpose' readings more than psychic readings, I really just validate what they are already feeling, lacking in a certain area, psychically I work with colours and the chakras a lot and the people who sit with me really resonate with that.

I do however much prefer the mediumship readings, they are evidential and the feeling I get from connecting with Spirit at that level and vibration is like a high, it's like I'm touching heaven itself and its most definitely my favourite readings to conduct!

I feel people who confuse the two haven't really heard of mediumship, it's getting better now though with so many tv shows out profiling mediumship as a standalone reading ! people are getting more knowledgable on it I feel, slowly but surely.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:58 PM
Administrator
Hello

Here is my take on it as am both a Psychic and Medium. Equal in both and balanced by being a Reiki Master.

Psychic
A psychic is a person who is responsive to psychic forces. These people may be capable of extrasensory perception, telepathy and other extraordinary abilities.

Medium
A medium is a person through whom the spirits of the dead are said to be able to contact the living. These people may often be referred to as channels since they act as a conduit for the spirits of the dead.
Combination

If a person is a psychic medium, than they should have qualities of both. Those who can allow the dead to speak through them, as well as communicate telepathically with others, are examples of psychic mediums.

What are the differences? The definitions have become interchanged and confused. Let’s take a moment to review and clarify so that you will connect with the right reader and get the most from your session.

Intuitive:

Intuition is a right brain process that taps into subconscious information in order to provide guidance about everyday life. Being intuitive means that you able to tap into subconscious information in order to receive guidance about your everyday life. Intuition can be used to receive guidance about your own life (personal intuition) or to help other people (professional intuition). People who are intuitive are not necessarily psychic. Being intuitive is about receiving guidance to make better decisions in your life, and helping guide others in theirs.

Psychic:

Being psychic, also known as being clairvoyant, means that you can perceive information that cannot be perceived through the normal senses (also called Extra Sensory Perception – ESP). That can include predicting the future, talking to non-physical beings (dead people, spirits) and being able to sense missing objects or people. Being psychic is about sensing information that other people can’t usually access.

Medium:

A medium is a psychic who has fine-tuned his or her extrasensory perception and can interface with the spirits in other dimensions. They are able to feel and/or hear thoughts, voices or mental impressions from the spirit world. A medium is able to become completely receptive to the higher frequency or energies on which spirit people vibrate.

Empath:

Empath means that you feel other people’s emotions as your own. For example, if someone around you is very angry you might start to feel angry yourself, even though there is no direct reason for you to feel this way. According to Wikipedia, “observing another person’s emotional state activates parts of the neuronal network involved in processing that same state in one, whether it is disgust, touch, or pain”. Empaths have the ability to scan another’s energy for thoughts, feelings and possibly for past, present, and future life occurrences.

This is my thoughts as there are so many view out there and I feel we all have our paths of understanding.

Lynn
Old 04-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn
Psychic
A psychic is a person who is responsive to psychic forces. These people may be capable of extrasensory perception, telepathy and other extraordinary abilities.

And although a psychic can be aware of these things as they go about their life, it's not something talked about too much, it's something kept to yourself.

I think what many people assume is that if you're a psychic or a medium you have all the abilities they associate with such people, & as we know, that's not always the case.

Easy to see why things get a bit confusing for the average member of the public looking into the window of this field.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:02 AM
Master
People assume all kinds of things that a person is supposed to be able to do, and the rules about what you are supposed to tell a psychic. You aren't supposed to tell them anything because they are supposed to already know. If they don't know all about you then they are fake.

I don't do it for money but I sometimes do this or that and I don't like to play guessing games and I won't.

My purpose might be different then another person's purpose but there are some things in common usually.

What I find interesting is how a person sees, what kind of visions and where do you look to see them...Do you sense or hear words or just get them..How do you feel or taste?

With me, everything is psychic personally. I intuitively know how to cook, or what ingredient to add, and which way to turn and when to change lanes and where to go to find what I need. That would include finding lost objects, I sense where they are, and if I can't find something, then I know it isn't meant to be found quite yet, and to stop looking and move on. I know other other people who have a similar way of doing things.

It is a psychic life, not just something you turn off and on.

Other people are not my business unless I am asked to help or if I get a message to pass along. It usually sounds like advice or opinion and not anything special. I don't do readings as a rule.

I communicate with source, or guidance, not the deceased, but a person might be sent my way for some reason. That is how it works.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:14 AM
Pathfinder
Rozie- I like what you wrote. I definitely connect with your interest in how others see feel or visualize.

Labels are tough. Medium, psychic.... we are all different. No one label or definition is going to fit all of us.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akc1213
Rozie- I like what you wrote. I definitely connect with your interest in how others see feel or visualize.

Labels are tough. Medium, psychic.... we are all different. No one label or definition is going to fit all of us.

Thank you.

I agree, and I don't use labels usually, but sometimes it might be a word that a person could understand or relate to.

I don't 'fit' under any label, but I know that even if we do something differently or our purpose is different, there are common elements. That should be how we gain support and understanding from others who have similar experiences.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Master

We all can only speak from our own perspective of what it means to be psychic or a psychic medium. For me, it is a little more broad and more narrow than the definitions given. While I agree with everyone's definitions, there really is not a "real truth" to being psychic or a medium.

From everything that I have learned so far, and even that is only my opinion as we can only speak to what we have learned and know to be truth for us so far, I believe everyone is psychic, everyone has ESP powers, simply because we are all from the same place before we got here. We are all simply energy.

As these energy beings, we all come down here to play in this physical realm, and don our physical bodies that allow us to be here in the physical. We play on this earthy plane, for without it, we wouldn't be here. Our breath connects us to this time and this place, in this body, upon this earth.

Our minds, on the other hand, can explore other places, other times, other realms, other dimensions, if you will. So our mind is our connection to our "soul" self, the one that came before the one is this physical body. So, while we are "here", some part of us is still "there", and from the "there" vantage point, we can access things that are accessible from our "there" self.

So, I believe I am here, and a part of me is there, and when I take the time to blend the two, miracle happen. For me, because i asked. And I get answers.

The question comes then, where do the answers come from? Do I know, will I ever know? I don't know LOL. With my belief system, I create my own answers to that question.

The more I explore this other world and its inhabitants, the more i realize i really don't "know", I just "feel", and sometimes you can't put feelings into words and sometimes you just try, but the words don't really express the feelings.

There are so many psychic gifts we can choose from, probably way more than I know about or have heard about.

The first time I was given a "reading" I was told my daughters were psychic and they could channel their guides and I so wanted to do that. I was so excited, because after all the years I had read Sylvia Browne and loved her teachings, I knew in my soul I wasn't psychic. And here I'm being told my daughter is and her partner, now wife, is, and what a joy that was. During that session, one of their main guides explained it this way:

Look at it like we are all at university, and we are studying different subjects. Say you are studying math and science, the people in your class are studying those same subjects, so you hang out with those people that are studying what you are studying. So if you believe we are all psychic, and there are so many subjects to choose from, and we choose a few to study, then we get better at that subject by our attention to that subject, and the people that we encounter are part of our soul group ( like in University, where they hang at in dorms ... - oh I forget the word ). However, before we came here, we all got together and decided what we were going to study, and where we were going to study, and how we were going to study with, hence our soul group.

So, for me, that means that we are all psychic, but we learn a specialty, our specialties. Some are better are these specialties than others, but isn't that true for people who learn math and science. Some are better at it than others LOL?

It is in the categorization of these subjects that is where the confusion comes in for me. We are all different, and even within the same subject category we are all doing things differently, and seeing things differently, and isn't it wonderful that we are all different?

So when we attempt to label ourselves, it narrows are definitions instead of broadening them.

I fit all of the categories mentioned, but I don't specialize in some of them.

I am a channel, so therefore I am psychic, but I am not a medium because I don't want to speak to the dearly departed for others. Does that mean I can't? No necessarily, I just don't wanna. I enjoy tuning in to hear the speaker on the channels I tune in to.

So I don't have a label for myself...because I really don't fit the labels...but I'm having fun, whatever this is :)
Old 09-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Suspended
Seeker

I agree with you 100%. You can be psychic by being a Medium but you can't be a Medium without being a psychic. :)
Old 10-03-2017, 05:51 PM
Master
I'm comfortable with your definitions Lynn. While I'm sure there will be those who disagree here and there, it's a good enough working model for how I understand things also.

Lately when I do readings sometimes I will feel Beings/Departed Loved Ones pushing in on my field, the energy says they want to speak/communicate. I tell the sitter there is someone there and then use oracle cards to discern what the message the non-corporal one wishes to say or impart.

I just can't seem to cross over into channeling or mediumship, (allowing it to use my vocal cords) something inside me stops it.
It's becoming frustrating.