Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 31-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Seeker
Allways Sleepy during meditation...

Every single time I seem to meditate no matter what I always get dreadfully tired to where I either have to take a nap, or stop my meditation and then be exhausted tired for at least a half an hour to an hour. I want to meditate for long periods of time and love the feeling of comfort and enlightenment before I the sleepiness kicks in but as soon as I finally calm my thoughts and relax my body I start literally nodding off, even if I focus on stuff like "alert mind, relaxed body" its so annoying, any insight?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Angelz

I would love some insight on this as I have the same dilemma! Many people say they lay down to meditate but I cannot do that or I will end up sleeping. I typically sit up in bed with music or a guided meditation but frequently find myself half asleep and feeling exhausted afterwards.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Master

It may be a good time to meditate after you have woken up from a long sleep. It is less likely to fall asleep when you already had enough sleep. I have read it is not a good idea to mediate after a big meal as it can make you sleepy. Apart from that I do not have any other ideas. I used to easily fall asleep as well but I have programmed myself to stay awake. I mostly do not fall asleep when I am lying on my back anymore. Perhaps practice makes perfect.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 AM
mattie

Go With The Flow

When we sleep we are in the theta state twice, once when falling asleep. It if very easy to connect w/ other Ds in theta which is like an advanced meditation state.

It might be productive to let your self go where ever this takes you, even if it is dozing off.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Seeker
I have also thought of that (Letting myself doze off) but did not want to interrupt my already screwy sleep cycle. I did find a chance to meditate without getting sleepy, I think my sleepiness is related to food a little (I don't eat big meals but eat roughly every two hours I always seem to crash a little after eating) so I think I just have to roll through it or roll with it lol.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaRising
I have also thought of that (Letting myself doze off) but did not want to interrupt my already screwy sleep cycle. I did find a chance to meditate without getting sleepy, I think my sleepiness is related to food a little (I don't eat big meals but eat roughly every two hours I always seem to crash a little after eating) so I think I just have to roll through it or roll with it lol.

AnimaRising - Something stands out in your post and that is "but did not want to interrupt my already screwy sleep cycle." I have a screwy sleep cycle as I am an insomniac and am up half the night, waking up every two hours and so I'm very sleepy during the day. In order not to fall asleep during meditation I have to meditate after getting a quick nap in where I can fit it in. If you have the luxury of getting a quick nap sometime during the day, get a few winks in before attempting to meditate otherwise you will likely fall asleep during meditation. If you can get a little rest then your meditation session should be uninterrupted by dosing off and will be more fulfilling. That's been my experience anyway.

Blackraven
Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 AM
Luna Wolf

I find it helps to drink water during meditation, it help you focus and stay away. I don't believe you need to be laying down or i a deep meditation to have a good one!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:47 PM
LuvChild

I limit my meditation to 30-40 minutes, because I have found that any longer than that and I become really sleepy too, regardless of how much caffeine I've had. One afternoon I layed down to meditate, my body still very much awake from the coffee I had that morning, and I thought I could get away with meditating for an hour or more because I was too awake to worry about getting sleepy. I was wrong. Meditation made me so relaxed that no amount of coffee could keep me from falling asleep.

I'll also either sit up in bed, or on the couch, now. I try not to lay down anymore. When I start yawning, I know it's time to end my session. Guided meditations also keep me from getting sleepy. It must be something about having a voice in my ear instructing me on what to do next, compared to the relaxing meditation music that I listen to.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 PM
PEACE

I have the same problem but its when im trying to have an out of body i lay still and relaxed anclearmy mind and after a while opps i actually hear myslf snore its really bizzare and funnyXXX