Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 21-03-2018, 06:33 AM
Knower
Formula that helped me to see through the illusion of self =become non-dual

Hi all,

I want to share with you an methodology that I used, to get rid of the illusion of self. this is also called stream entry, non-duality, or kensho, some call it awakening.

The excersize is described in detail below, and is an analytical approach (vipassana) that consists of two parts, hence the name 2 Part Formula (2pf). One does not need any previous experience in meditation. Please do not be intimidate by the lenth of this post, the content is very straight forward an no nonsense.

It took me 2,5 days of using the formula, to see through the illusion of self. I hope by sharing the formula here, you will be able to benefit from it as much as I have.

The formula can be found online, and is free to use for everyone.
https://www.en.openheart.fi/113

The Two-Part Formula

Before you read on, I have one request: Drop all pre-assumptions you may have concerning awakening and spirituality. Forget that you ever practiced meditation, read spiritual books or received spiritual teachings. Have a totally open mind. Start fresh without baggage. This is essential.

Steps of the two-part formula:

Part 1

First, sit down and relax thoroughly. Take a comfortable seat with eyes open or closed. Then scan through your body with attention and release tensions from anywhere you notice them. Scanning the body means that you look, feel and listen into the body space and scan around it as if using a flashlight in a dark house. When some tension is found and is allowed to release, pay close attention to what is found in the area of that released tension. Look closely. What you find is mere open space. After you notice this move on to next tension, release it, and again notice the open inner space in the place of the former tension. After you have done this for several minutes with some sharpness of attention, what happens is that the small locations of open space become connected and a greater open space becomes revealed. Notice and enjoy that spaciousness. Marinate in it for several minutes. This mode is called the ”I-less mode” because in this spaciousness there is no ”me” or ”you”. As you are in that experience of spaciousness, see if ”me” or ”I” can be found there. Check whether ”I” is there or not. Check left and right. Check front and back. Check up and down. Check the center as well. Can you find the sense of me-ness from this spacious mind? If you cannot find it, the recognition of the I-less mode is correct. If you are not sure, then do the exercise again and look with sharper attention. In this mode, when you listen to a sound or look at some external object in front of you, there is no ”hearer” or ”seer” but rather there is only ”hearing and ”seeing”. It is important to recognise this selfless mode well. It is not difficult, you just need to apply some attention and relax properly.

Part 2

Say to yourself "I, I, I", "me, me, me" or "mine, mine, mine", aloud or silently, with conviction, so that you mean it. Repeat the affirmation 2-3 times and then for a moment wait for sensations to arise. How does it feel? Do you feel some tensions arising? Do you feel some lack of freedom when you reinforce the I-thought? How does the I-thought feel? You have consciously brought up the sense of me-ness and are now consciously experiencing how your sense of me-ness feels, perhaps for the first time in your life. The subject, me, now becomes an object that can be observed. Make note of how me-ness feels all over your body, in the chest and the head. Pick the strongest of these sensations and observe it more closely, just like a scientist does when looking at an organism under a microscope, not to change anything but just to study it with great interest. Consciously look and feel the sensation and simply by experiencing it, make observations about it. How is the I-thought? Does it have a shape? What's the size of it? Where is it located? Is this experience of me-ness the truth of you? Is that the real ”you” or not? Look carefully and make observations. After some time, the I-sensations disappear. If at that point you still feel calm and not agitated, you can do another set of affirmations. If one the other hand you feel a bit restless, look into that restlessness to find out what's causing it. When these sensations eventually subside the spaciousness again becomes revealed and so the formula begins again from the first step.

The idea is that you keep comparing the two modes until the sense of me-ness wears out. At some point when the affirmation no longer sticks and the affirmation, no matter how intensely you say it, just echoes into empty space, awakening has more than likely taken place. At this point, you can feel a special kind of openness and elation, lightness and unobstructedness, when compared to before.

When practicing the two-part formula, it is best to sit down and process the two modes silently 1-2-3 times a day for 20-30 minutes at each sitting. These sitting sessions are essential along with processing during activities. In activities, whatever they may be, make note of how the two modes alternate. Also, when we are around others the ”I” can come up unexpectedly and strongly because we are used to reacting to other people from our sense of ”I”. Make use of these moments to look into the self or ”I” with awareness.

Selfless spacious mind

The first mode of the formula demonstrates that when the tensions are thoroughly released the landscape of your mind also changes. Thoughts disappear, emotions settle and a mind-space like a cloudless sky becomes revealed in your mind. Eyes see and the ears hear but the “I”, “me”, or experiencer is not there. There’s no “I” or owner in direct perception. There’s only a spacious state of mind, a spacious inner state. You have to find this out for yourself. Anyone can do it. Even a short glimpse of a second or two into that spaciousness gives you something to work with. It doesn't have to be perfectly spacious and clear all the time. Just do your best. The selfless, spacious mind can be briefly recognised in any situation, whether in silence or during activities, whether alone or amongst other people. Take this spaciousness just as it is. All questions dissolve in that space if you just relax enough. Don’t add anything to this state.

If you look for a self, me, from the spacious mind, can you find it? If you find some sensation in your bodymind, look and investigate what it is. If the assumption is that your self, your sense of me-ness, is a real constant being, a stable entity, then surely it should be found somewhere, but is it there all the time? ”Me” or ”I” cannot be found in any other way except as a thought in your mind, which comes and goes according to likes and dislikes. When you mind is clear and peaceful, ”you” are not there.

Mind conditioned to I-thought

In the second mode, the sense of self is purposefully reinforced with the affirmations so that we can become aware of it in a very specific manner. If you look into your sense of self you come to know that ”I” am actually a bundle of thoughts, emotions and impressions squeezed into a kind of knot. This knot has formed over time through many different situations and experiences since birth and it is this very knot who we imagine ourselves to be. We have created ourselves and by doing so have gone astray, have left our true abode, so to speak. We have assumed that these feelings, thoughts and experiences are our “self” or ”me”.

When applying the formula we have to examine if the feeling of self is a solid, immutable and stable character. Is the self something that is a stable, permanent element that is always there? Simply examine the feeling of self. Look directly at its center, its core.

These are the steps of the two-part formula. It’s necessary to thoroughly apply the two modes and bring awareness to that subconscious “thing” that we call our ”self”. Eventually, if you correctly apply the formula, a shift will occur. All of a sudden it is like the sky becoming bright and clear after a long spell of rain. All of a sudden your mind becomes bright and being becomes effortless. Even the physical body itself may feel elated and healthy.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

May all beings be liberated. Lokah samastah bhavantu!

Love, Neenu
“Everything is energy and that’s all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics.”

—Albert Einstein
Old 21-03-2018, 07:33 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenu
Hi all,

I want to share with you an methodology that I used, to get rid of the illusion of self. this is also called stream entry, non-duality, or kensho, some call it awakening.

The excersize is described in detail below, and is an analytical approach (vipassana) that consists of two parts, hence the name 2 Part Formula (2pf). One does not need any previous experience in meditation. Please do not be intimidate by the lenth of this post, the content is very straight forward an no nonsense.

It took me 2,5 days of using the formula, to see through the illusion of self. I hope by sharing the formula here, you will be able to benefit from it as much as I have.

The Two-Part Formula

Before you read on, I have one request: Drop all pre-assumptions you may have concerning awakening and spirituality. Forget that you ever practiced meditation, read spiritual books or received spiritual teachings. Have a totally open mind. Start fresh without baggage. This is essential.

Part 1

First, sit down and relax thoroughly. Take a comfortable seat with eyes open or closed. Then scan through your body with attention and release tensions from anywhere you notice them. Scanning the body means that you look, feel and listen into the body space and scan around it as if using a flashlight in a dark house. When some tension is found and is allowed to release, pay close attention to what is found in the area of that released tension. Look closely. What you find is mere open space. After you notice this move on to next tension, release it, and again notice the open inner space in the place of the former tension. After you have done this for several minutes with some sharpness of attention, what happens is that the small locations of open space become connected and a greater open space becomes revealed. Notice and enjoy that spaciousness. Marinate in it for several minutes. This mode is called the ”I-less mode” because in this spaciousness there is no ”me” or ”you”. As you are in that experience of spaciousness, see if ”me” or ”I” can be found there. Check whether ”I” is there or not. Check left and right. Check front and back. Check up and down. Check the center as well. Can you find the sense of me-ness from this spacious mind? If you cannot find it, the recognition of the I-less mode is correct. If you are not sure, then do the exercise again and look with sharper attention. In this mode, when you listen to a sound or look at some external object in front of you, there is no ”hearer” or ”seer” but rather there is only ”hearing and ”seeing”. It is important to recognise this selfless mode well. It is not difficult, you just need to apply some attention and relax properly.

Part 2

Say to yourself "I, I, I", "me, me, me" or "mine, mine, mine", aloud or silently, with conviction, so that you mean it. Repeat the affirmation 2-3 times and then for a moment wait for sensations to arise. How does it feel? Do you feel some tensions arising? Do you feel some lack of freedom when you reinforce the I-thought? How does the I-thought feel? You have consciously brought up the sense of me-ness and are now consciously experiencing how your sense of me-ness feels, perhaps for the first time in your life. The subject, me, now becomes an object that can be observed. Make note of how me-ness feels all over your body, in the chest and the head. Pick the strongest of these sensations and observe it more closely, just like a scientist does when looking at an organism under a microscope, not to change anything but just to study it with great interest. Consciously look and feel the sensation and simply by experiencing it, make observations about it. How is the I-thought? Does it have a shape? What's the size of it? Where is it located? Is this experience of me-ness the truth of you? Is that the real ”you” or not? Look carefully and make observations. After some time, the I-sensations disappear. If at that point you still feel calm and not agitated, you can do another set of affirmations. If one the other hand you feel a bit restless, look into that restlessness to find out what's causing it. When these sensations eventually subside the spaciousness again becomes revealed and so the formula begins again from the first step.

The idea is that you keep comparing the two modes until the sense of me-ness wears out. At some point when the affirmation no longer sticks and the affirmation, no matter how intensely you say it, just echoes into empty space, awakening has more than likely taken place. At this point, you can feel a special kind of openness and elation, lightness and unobstructedness, when compared to before.

When practicing the two-part formula, it is best to sit down and process the two modes silently 1-2-3 times a day for 20-30 minutes at each sitting. These sitting sessions are essential along with processing during activities. In activities, whatever they may be, make note of how the two modes alternate. Also, when we are around others the ”I” can come up unexpectedly and strongly because we are used to reacting to other people from our sense of ”I”. Make use of these moments to look into the self or ”I” with awareness.

Selfless spacious mind

The first mode of the formula demonstrates that when the tensions are thoroughly released the landscape of your mind also changes. Thoughts disappear, emotions settle and a mind-space like a cloudless sky becomes revealed in your mind. Eyes see and the ears hear but the “I”, “me”, or experiencer is not there. There’s no “I” or owner in direct perception. There’s only a spacious state of mind, a spacious inner state. You have to find this out for yourself. Anyone can do it. Even a short glimpse of a second or two into that spaciousness gives you something to work with. It doesn't have to be perfectly spacious and clear all the time. Just do your best. The selfless, spacious mind can be briefly recognised in any situation, whether in silence or during activities, whether alone or amongst other people. Take this spaciousness just as it is. All questions dissolve in that space if you just relax enough. Don’t add anything to this state.

If you look for a self, me, from the spacious mind, can you find it? If you find some sensation in your bodymind, look and investigate what it is. If the assumption is that your self, your sense of me-ness, is a real constant being, a stable entity, then surely it should be found somewhere, but is it there all the time? ”Me” or ”I” cannot be found in any other way except as a thought in your mind, which comes and goes according to likes and dislikes. When you mind is clear and peaceful, ”you” are not there.

In the second mode, the sense of self is purposefully reinforced with the affirmations so that we can become aware of it in a very specific manner. If you look into your sense of self you come to know that ”I” am actually a bundle of thoughts, emotions and impressions squeezed into a kind of knot. This knot has formed over time through many different situations and experiences since birth and it is this very knot who we imagine ourselves to be. We have created ourselves and by doing so have gone astray, have left our true abode, so to speak. We have assumed that these feelings, thoughts and experiences are our “self” or ”me”.

When applying the formula we have to examine if the feeling of self is a solid, immutable and stable character. Is the self something that is a stable, permanent element that is always there? Simply examine the feeling of self. Look directly at its center, its core.

These are the steps of the two-part formula. It’s necessary to thoroughly apply the two modes and bring awareness to that subconscious “thing” that we call our ”self”. Eventually, if you correctly apply the formula, a shift will occur. All of a sudden it is like the sky becoming bright and clear after a long spell of rain. All of a sudden your mind becomes bright and being becomes effortless. Even the physical body itself may feel elated and healthy.

Love, Neenu

I have a self.
I have no self.
By means of a self I perceive self.
By means of a self I perceive not-self.
By means of not-self I perceive self.
The self of mine that knows is everlasting and will stay as it is forever.

Sabbasava Sutta (Pali Sutta-pitaka, Majjhima Nikaya 2).

If we say I have no self then who is the self that doesn't have a self?
Old 21-03-2018, 07:53 AM
Knower
In my experince awareness is cognisant (alive), and that awareness is the true nature of mind that remains (the self that doesn't have a self, as you put it).

That is the thing that is released and reamins after one realizes there is no I, me or my self. One does not stop functioning (and become a vegetable) by realizing ther is no self. There is no you who is, or you to whom things are happening.

We identify strongly with our body, but you can have wonderful glimpses of a selfless state when meditating. Mindfullness is a momentary help, but does not offer a premanent solution. By seeing through the illusion of I is a permanent solution, that can not be reversed.

By no means does the stream entry, first kensho, or awakening in this sense mean all karma is undone and burnt away, or that you become a living buddha, but it is the first step on the road.
“Everything is energy and that’s all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics.”

—Albert Einstein
Old 21-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Master
How to Become Awakened

”It would be nice if someone would come along

and find a method by which people could awaken.

Even the Buddha couldn't do that.”

- Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo

She obviously doesn't understand Buddha's teachings
Old 21-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
How to Become Awakened

”It would be nice if someone would come along

and find a method by which people could awaken.

Even the Buddha couldn't do that.”

- Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo

She obviously doesn't understand Buddha's teachings

I'm not familiar with Buddha having a method for initial awakening. But that is another thing entirely.

I'm merely stating that the 2 part formula has worked for me, and I want to share this with people who might have been struggling with awakening, without having success.

—Albert Einstein
Old 21-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Master
Soon after his Enlightenment the Buddha had a vision in which he saw the human race as a bed of lotus flowers. Some of the lotuses were still enmired in the mud, others were just emerging from it, and others again were on the point of blooming. In other words, all people had the ability to unfold their potential and some needed just a little help to do so. So the Buddha decided to teach, and all of the teachings of Buddhism may be seen as attempts to fulfil this vision — to help people grow towards Enlightenment.
Old 22-03-2018, 01:36 AM
Master

Quote:
Hi all,

The Two-Part Formula

Part 1

Part 2

Selfless spacious mind

Love, Neenu

Glad that has worked for you Neena.

There is also something often called the Direct Approach in which both states of Self/No self are already Oneness, so in that approach it is not possible to become more Oneness for Oneness is already The Self and all states :)

So should the feeling leave you that becoming No Self as ocurred, and you are back in the state of being The Self, you will be no less Oneness than you were when you felt you were No Self:)

And you would not have lost anything in terms of connection to Oneness:)
Old 22-03-2018, 02:44 AM
Master

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Buddha having a method for initial awakening. But that is another thing entirely.

I'm merely stating that the 2 part formula has worked for me, and I want to share this with people who might have been struggling with awakening, without having success.

Do you consider yourself awakened?
Old 22-03-2018, 02:48 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit
Glad that has worked for you Neena.

There is also something often called the Direct Approach in which both states of Self/No self are already Oneness, so in that approach it is not possible to become more Oneness for Oneness is already The Self and all states :)

So should the feeling leave you that becoming No Self as ocurred, and you are back in the state of being The Self, you will be no less Oneness than you were when you felt you were No Self:)

And you would not have lost anything in terms of connection to Oneness:)

It's obvious that we, in physical, aren't Oneness, we can't be so, and we shouldn't try to be so, in my opinion.
Old 22-03-2018, 04:47 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Do you consider yourself awakened?
Awakened, in the sense that I have seen through the illusion of self, yes.
But awakening is used in many different contexts, also for Buddha hood, then no. Not even close :)

—Albert Einstein