Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 14-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Suspended

It's not imagined. If one takes their attention off the mind, both effortless effort and deliberate effort cease to exist. What is life? What is now? What am I? - if thought and thinking is not a part of it?

Quote:
Do not aspire to great realization. Great realization is everyday tea and meals.
—Dogen Zenji, Shobogenzo Gyoji

Quote:
A master was making soup in his hut when a disciple entered and sat with reverence. The master was moving very slowly with great attention. The disciple grew inpatient and blurted out, "Master what is enlightenment?"

The master held up the herbs in his hand saying, "this dill is enlightenment," then the master gently placed them in the simmering soup.
Old 18-04-2019, 07:03 PM
janielee

Joyful perseverance or diligence is not a physical thing, it’s a state of mind. It is a state of mind that takes joy in virtue; a state of mind that really happily engages in positive activity – that is diligence. It’s a state of mind that happily engages in the positive activity of the other five perfections such as generosity, patience, right conduct, meditation, wisdom. Diligence is the engine that makes them move forward. It’s the wind that makes them grow.

Lama Zangmo
http://www.samyeling.org/buddhism-an...ugh-diligence/
Old 18-04-2019, 07:05 PM
janielee

The Buddha does not claim any divine status for himself, nor does he assert that he is an agent of human salvation. He claims to be, not a personal savior, but a guide and teacher: "You yourselves must strive, the Buddha only points the way. Those who meditate and practice the path are freed from the bonds of death" (Dhp 276).

Even on his deathbed he gave his followers this last piece of advice: "All conditioned things are subject to decay. Attain the goal by diligence."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/.../wheel433.html
Old 04-05-2019, 05:45 PM
janielee

I will say a few words about practice. Generally speaking there is much to learn about Tibetan Buddhism. Sakya Pandita said, to become completely qualified one should completely study the different wheels of the dharma. After study there is contemplation and after that meditation. Contemplation is done for the sake of meditation and its end result is meditation. After studying it's good to have writing skills to benefit others. Teaching, and debate are also useful.

The purpose of all these is meditation practice. All the great masters you will see are completely qualified by study. After that came meditation and realization. I finished my academic study in 1990. I taught for a while but thought I should do more meditation so I could experience what I taught. I needed wisdom from meditation practice. There is nothing wrong with education and teaching but it is limited. The essence of the teachings is within the practice. You can understand a certain level though study but practice of meditation allows you to understand the heart.

- Lama Gursam
The Importance of Practice