Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 27-11-2018, 01:54 PM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
The people who are truly serious about reaching enlightenment aren't interested in any of the indulgences whatsoever, and to any 'lesser' practitioner it is worthwhile to consider giving up indulgences as well. For instance, non-violence is the 1st principle of the yoga system, and meat eating (killing animals, destroying forests, consuming the fear and dread of animals) as well as drinking (worsening one's health and awareness) are violent activities, to others and to self. As for sex, unless it's with a compatible partner that one loves, it's just going to be a literal felt drain of spiritual energy. This is a choice between love and selfish pleasure gratification.

To me it doesn't strike me as ''self control'' - but rather about compassion..

I'm familiar with this view.. it is a common view that younger people are to fulfil duties and family life whereas the retired person (usually a male) can renounce duties and indulgences and aim for spiritual growth. I disagree a lot with this view, as it entirely depends on the individual and what they seek in life.

Compassion is the better way to look at it, I suppose. But I disagree with the notion that one MUST forcefully denounce all sort of indulgences for "enlightenment" to follow. I see it as the other way around -- you lose interest in ceaselessly indulging as a result of your spiritual growth. With this, spirituality and living and thriving in the material world can go hand in hand together. But yes, I agree that it depends entirely on the individual.
Old 27-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Master
I think you misread my point a bit. As I said, it's not about ''control''.. so to go about forcing yourself to quit this or that would be similar, a means of control. That is a mainstream religious way of dealing with indulgence. But this is not about control, forcefulness, or order.. but indeed compassion, and energy. And yes, the more one grows spiritually the less interesting indulgences become.. but, this is of course a process..

People who are 100% serious about it though tend to join monasteries
Then one is in an environment with optimal time for spiritual practice and less distractions.