Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 06-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Master
Time, it is true that there is much conjecture in this area. But the Celts are given in the literature as Iron Age, not Bronze Age. Now I know that this "Age" thing is a variable depending where in the world you are. My beliefs are not purely taken from oral traditions but a mix of written and oral. Depending 100% on either is a mistake. So you come to a situation where no-one is 100% wrong or right. We must avoid dogmatism and utter reliance on the written word which is often just a reiteration of previous writers opinions. Personally, I rely on writers from British Universities.
Best example I can think of is the Bible. OT is the tribal records of a small number of people in the Middle-East. NT written centuries after the "events". The whole bang-shoot translated several times, revised several times, subject to deletions and political censoring. Care to put a number of how true the whole thing is ? Early European histories written by christian monks - biased or not ?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Occultist

When I speak of Paganism I speak of Celtic and Egyptian middle eastern cultures and traditions also. I told you I was a "Scottish Gypsy" our dialogue is not polluted by other races or traditions because we don't marry outside ourselves Gypsy's marry Gypsy's for this reason to keep traditions alive and not tainted. I know American's are not used to us but if you ask Norse what a Pikey is or Scottish gypsy traveller he could explain it.
My culture might be alot of things but not ignorant to my ancestory or myths and legends an cultures.. American's for the most part dont understand this concept because many of them dont know where they came from or what there grandmothers name is. They lost alot of what makes them unique and individual. We do have many Grimoire's and letters and legends etc,Verbally and none verbally further you go back the more past down verbally it was. Many books written today on Pagan Celtism or even The Craft for that matter isnt worth the paper its written on. If it wasnt so scratchy I would prolly use it for toilet paper. Also I never said pagan traditions had no infuence on christian values. Celtic rituals is what all Christian holidays are about. To blot out what they dont like or what scares them. Like Samhain why dont we make a All Saints day on the 1st also? Get my point?? You are 100% correct when you say Christianity was based on being born from jewish worship, which has pagan ties,. Like I mentioned before I think
Animus27 is a bit confused and thats fine this is a learning forum he is what in his 20s? He is essentially a baby in my eyes and probably wasnt raised and spoon fed it like we were either. I agree also that all holidays has turned into a money making scheme.

I think your not as far off my thinking as you might assume.
again I hope this clears up Animus27 thoughts on the subject and I bless him on his journey.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Occultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Time, it is true that there is much conjecture in this area. But the Celts are given in the literature as Iron Age, not Bronze Age. Now I know that this "Age" thing is a variable depending where in the world you are. My beliefs are not purely taken from oral traditions but a mix of written and oral. Depending 100% on either is a mistake. So you come to a situation where no-one is 100% wrong or right. We must avoid dogmatism and utter reliance on the written word which is often just a reiteration of previous writers opinions. Personally, I rely on writers from British Universities.
Best example I can think of is the Bible. OT is the tribal records of a small number of people in the Middle-East. NT written centuries after the "events". The whole bang-shoot translated several times, revised several times, subject to deletions and political censoring. Care to put a number of how true the whole thing is ? Early European histories written by christian monks - biased or not ?
^ what Norse said is 100% true and the way I was taught as well.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Master
Norseman and Occultist - I very much appreciate your knowledge and I look forward to learning more from you guys. I have many of the same thoughts as you do - I just don't have the years of learning about paganism that you do. I am also very interested in Wicca, but the old , not as much the new. The cultures have fascinated me since I was little girl(and that is a while!) LOL.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Occultist

I am a Witch and Norse is a Cunning Folk as well. If you have any questions regarding Witchcraft or even Wicca do not hesitate to send me a message.
or even ask Norse he is an amazing patient teacher.
Good luck on your lifes journey Believer may there be a light to always guide your path. <hugs>
Old 07-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Master
Thank you Occultist. The one past life I know about is my life in a Druidic Celtic clan. I was a healer. My family is, based on what I know and thru research, pure Scots/Irish. Mostly Irish. Even here they married immigrated Irish and Scots/ Irish. My Grandpa was pure German. So, that leads me to believe that I have many lives in practicing tribes. I suppose that's where my extreme interest stems from!

I did use the incorrect term. Wicca is not my main interest. Witchcraft is - the old ways. More solitary. I just never studied it in depth. Thanks for your kind words!

I started in this discussion, but I found it futile to argue. One believes what one believes. It was interesting though! LOL.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Master
Welcome in the Craft, OneTrueBeliever
Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Master
Thanks! I am not really in the Craft. I haven't studied it for quite some time. Life got in the way. But I intend to learn more about it. I enjoy your posts and learn from them.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Occultist

I am sorry that some argue,. Just remember where attacks come from. Fear and lack of understanding, Possibly feelings of inadequate, fear of unknown and or fear from there own "fear based religions" once you know where the attacks come from I myself light a white candle for them for clarity and myself for clarity. So that we may both learn from each other.
Dont let attackers stop you from asking questions. Let them inspire you to over come.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Master
Thanks for your inspiration Occultist!! HeHe. I usually hold my own in some discussions, but I have limited knowledge in this area. I read the forums(and stupidly, participate) on MSNBC and Yahoo, so I know about arguing. I ignore the really hateful and/or uninformed/misinformed posters. I am a question asker from way back, so i am not afraid to ask anything! LOL. The poster we are speaking of just COULD not see any view but his own and it was not going to make any difference what I said. Thanks also for helping all who wish to learn about witchcraft. I have been fascinated since I was little.